First One to Reach 1,000 posts wins!

Azure Someone

I feel like I've totally hindered my fronting skills by passive influencing Mirichu all the time. I want to eat chocolate? I 'influence' Mirichu to do so. Want to go to this place? I do the same, all without stealing the front, or who knows if I do but we don't notice. We're starting to feel less separate and more blendy lately.

34 minutes ago, Bear said:

By choice I can go way back where I even dissociate from senses, but as I said before, memories get sketchy then. I get 'experience' without memories, but there's enough 'stuff' to be a fulfilling experience. Memories stick near front. Dormancy has no experience or memories.

Apparently belief died in this system long ago. Sure I could confabulate that my tulpas couldn't read my thoughts and other shit but I can't go away by sheer belief? suuuuree

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Miri said:

One thing is for sure, I feel more dissociated and less there whenever Mirichu is focusing on Akai, it's just that as soon as I notice something is happening (be it feeling like vanishing or falling asleep) I automatically come back.

This reminds me of when our headmates possess. Cat is pretty much always the first headmate to get kicked from the front when one of our other headmates possess, and I believe part of it is because our headmates are eating up all of the brain space, which leaves Cat with no choice but to go inactive.

Cat's inactivity in this state is different from her being switched-out. While switched-in, she's still connected to the front in a way, and this causes her to think in the background or mindlessly react to what's going on. We realized this is Cat's ghost.

1 hour ago, Bear said:

It only bothered me because fast switching at that time was slightly disorienting, for like half a second. It doesn't do that anymore. She might switch in to type a message, and I may go to any other position.

This to me sounds more like switching instability. When I was first learning how to switch, there were a few times I believe my switch broke and Cat switched in. After correcting the switch, it seemed to restabilize and I was switched-in again. There was only one time I recall our switch breaking and stabilizing as Cat switched-in, so we ended up doing a switching ritual assuming I was going to switch out.

For Ashley's case, I wonder if switching for the first time created disorientation and instead of me struggling to keep a foot hold on switching, Ashley struggled to stay in the back.

(I have more to say, it's just I'm on mobile and it's difficult to quote stuff on a separate page)

Edit: grr mobile won't let me quote later posts, I'll have to move to my computer.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

1 hour ago, Miri said:

I feel like I've totally hindered my fronting skills by passive influencing Mirichu all the time. I want to eat chocolate? I 'influence' Mirichu to do so. Want to go to this place? I do the same, all without stealing the front, or who knows if I do but we don't notice. We're starting to feel less separate and more blendy lately.

We had this fear for the longest time, but I would note that we didn't learn switching until well after we started second position practice, which comes with a good degree of passive influence. I would also note that we started second position practice because we observed that Bear system and EVI were both switching systems with well-developed second positions. Kanade-chan proxies all the time, and the limited experience she's had with switching suggests that it works as it should. If you're feeling blendy, I imagine that would have very little to do with who's telling the body to do what and everything to do with an unstable sense of identity on both your parts

I live in a castle and have two tulpas, Kanade-chan and Uncannyfellow

Bah by the time I get to my computer I'm not longer at risk of double posting.

1 hour ago, Miri said:

A lot of "passive influence" is really the fault of habits that have been installed in the mind. Your brain has made positive associations with things like chocolate and fun places to be, the brain will tell the switched-in headmate "hey, you should do that again", even if it's well... not the headmate who made those associations to begin with. As a result, things like Cat becoming addicted to using the forums and me feeling the urge to crack jokes in the elevator while switched-in occur.

Some "passive" traits can also sometimes be universal system traits. It's ironically a little bit harder to distinguish common ground from a universal system trait in a smaller system. For instance liking chocolate... who doesn't like chocolate? I know those people exist, but they are a rare breed of human. All of my headmates never complained about desert being chocolate, with the only exception being me because I don't like dark chocolate and Cat because chocolate doesn't sit well in our body's stomach. The other possibility is it could just be a universal human trait as well. I felt really discouraged when I realized I liked feeding birds, but after talking about it with other people I realized pretty much everybody or at least a lot of people like birds.

As a final note, it is possible to fall into another headmate's line of thinking if they have thought the same thing over and over again. I don't believe this is an act of magical parroting, but rather the brain having you hop on a train of thought the brain is very familiar with and you just experiencing the thoughts.

1 hour ago, Miri said:

Apparently belief died in this system long ago. Sure I could confabulate that my tulpas couldn't read my thoughts and other shit but I can't go away by sheer belief? suuuuree

Belief is one of those hit or miss things. For Bear, it was probably a hit because it allowed him to not interrupt the switch and probably removed the right mental barriers. For me, it was a miss. Belief didn't solve the problem of Cat always stealing the front, and no matter how badly I wanted to switch, it didn't give me the ability to.

It's an overrated strategy sure, but it's not a completely ineffective one either. The big take away is belief helps remove mental barriers, particularly mindsets, which can have a big outcome on the result of the switch. Since belief doesn't touch base on resolving every mindset, it's not a fool-proof method, and some systems may have barriers belief will do little if any help for resolving.

43 minutes ago, Cornelia said:

We had this fear for the longest time, but I would note that we didn't learn switching until well after we started second position practice, which comes with a good degree of passive influence. I would also note that we started second position practice because we observed that Bear system and EVI were both switching systems with well-developed second positions. Kanade-chan proxies all the time, and the limited experience she's had with switching suggests that it works as it should. If you're feeling blendy, I imagine that would have very little to do with who's telling the body to do what and everything to do with an unstable sense of identity on both your parts

The concept of second or watcher position intrigues me because, well, I don't know if these things really apply to our switching.

The closest thing to "watcher position" or "the Gavin chair" we have is Cat's inactive state while she's switched-in. She's able to "observe" in the sense that she doesn't completely go away, but her observing is emotional reactions and whatever unconscious thoughts her ghost spits out. I don't think of that as "observing" behavior, which to me implies the headmate can lay back and not just react to what's going on, but also have complex thoughts about the topic at hand. Maybe this makes more sense if the higher order thoughts in question is actually tulpish, and if that's the case that's why "watcher position" doesn't translate for us. We are terrible at tulpish and Cat's thoughts are often difficult to make out.

The closest thing we have to "second position" is a passive headmate that's close to the front because they have possessed often enough to more directly connect themself to the working memory brain dump provided by the brain. I am usually in a position where I can easily wake up and react to what's going on without needing the context because the brain more or less already told me what's going on. On the other hand, my headamtes, especially if they just woke up from inactivity, need a minute to ask what's going on and to be caught up to speed. Eventually they too get the working memory dump pretty quickly, but they're not as closely connected to it as I am until they possess more.

When Miri and Mirichu describe their inability to become completely inactive, even in the back, it makes me wonder if these terms better fit them than they do for me and my system.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I have a feeling there's a difference between influencing a headmate and having them do stuff based on old patterns. I know full well when I am influencing Mirichu, it feels like stuff that I would like to do, and it feels like I am doing them, but under Mirichu's identity, some sort of full-body proxy? Instead of dictating her what I want to say like I am right now, I tell her (in tulpish, usually) what I want to do

6 hours ago, Miri said:

As you know, we believe that we're not confabulating anything. So it's not sheer belief? What? Can you imagine that at all?

We love you Miri, but the bad news is, your current beliefs are a major hurdle to actually doing it.

1 hour ago, Miri said:

I have a feeling there's a difference between influencing a headmate and having them do stuff based on old patterns. I know full well when I am influencing Mirichu, it feels like stuff that I would like to do, and it feels like I am doing them, but under Mirichu's identity, some sort of full-body proxy? Instead of dictating her what I want to say like I am right now, I tell her (in tulpish, usually) what I want to do

Huh, that's interesting. Usually Cat will want to have me do things so she can stop thinking as much, even before we could switch. I have done the same thing to Cat, trying to get her to do an activity she likes.

Aside from times Cat can't handle something and will refuse to let me possess, I don't think we experience this. I wonder if they're related?

It also makes me wonder if this has anything to do with eclipsing (yeah, remember that term? Neither do I!) Or what bduddy in his research on switching called "identity switching" where the host sort of "becomes" their tulpa. I'll find a link later.

14 minutes ago, Ashley said:

We love you Miri, but the bad news is, your current beliefs are a major hurdle to actually doing it.

Like I said, it's hit or miss. I don't think it's a bad idea for Miri to try out this strategy again, but if it backfires again it doesn't mean she "failed" switching. It just means the method doesn't work.

Switching is so sketchy how it works for some and not for others.

Professional dancing is so sketchy how it works for some and not for others

(I made this post with like 10 different things in /slashes/ at first but it's not very eloquent like that, fill it in with lots of other things, like making art)

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

17 minutes ago, Bear said:

Switching is so sketchy how it works for some and not for others.

Always the hosts who are most desperate to switch out are the ones stuck, pls