[Training] Visualization Practice Thread

Guest Reilyn-Alley

So far so good! Just finished #2 and it was pretty neat.

[hidden]We experienced a strange disconnect from last time. We kinda started "loading" in our experiences from before and decided that from the back of the balcony, to one side, one could see the beach and sea beyond. It was pretty neat. But when we did #1 we saw the fountain but decided it was Christmastime and cold so it was mainly there to showcase the lights and a giant holiday tree. This time kids were playing in the fountain and splashing around and we were like.. Ermmm...... Huh. Sorta passed by it quickly because all we could think of was they were freezing their butts off.

We were still full from delicious breakfast (we ate and fed each other warm crêpes with some tasty filling and blueberries and strawberries with a touch of blueberry syrup) so full bellies made us ignore the bakery. We saw the playground with the kids and we pretty much eyed it the whole time while we were finishing out the script. When it was over we looked at the field.. Then back at the playground with laughing screaming kids.. And ran back to join in the fun (his form is my twin brother, remember). There have been background actors and NPCs running around us before but we never interacted with them.

This was definitely a new experience! Despite how fun it all was, it didn't feel very real or much like an experience (minus breakfast, that was super neat), till we started going down slides and pushing + being pushed in swings and competing against the other kids to see who could fly the farthest. We thought we would have to try to keep track of each kid that was running around and kinda maintain them or something but it took care of itself. It was a fun, chaotic and free moment to just enjoy life.. In a wonderland. We can't exactly run around playing with kids as their peer irl and I've always wanted to, so I could be myself, so this was neat. Totes gonna have to do this kinda thing again. <3 [/hidden]

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Report on #VPT101.004

Ember: We're always on the lookout for activities to do with Iris, as she doesn't have a lot of interests except us. So we decided that Iris and I would try the first exercise. Vesper wasn't that interested, but reserved the right to join a later adventure. (She hates adventures.) We'll try to roughly reconstruct some of what we did.

[hidden]

So this may resemble my wonderland, but it isn't my wonderland, it's yours.

Oh, okay. This may have started us out in the wrong mindset. Our wonderland is a version of Vesper's home world, which in turn is a kinder, gentler version of White Wolf's Old World of Darkness. It differs from her home in that it is always night and there aren't any other people. There's lots of plants, but they don't need sunlight. There's lots of houses and flats and cars and buses, but they're all empty, silent, and locked. NPCs aren't allowed, by the reasoning that anyone interesting enough to talk to is a potential new headmate. We call it Shadow London, as a Chronicles of Amber reference. The idea is that there are infinite worlds beyond we could walk to, we just haven't yet, because this is our personal shadow, subject to our will.

So, even leaving Vesper behind, we were thinking in terms of worlds and characters and rules ultimately rooted in my roleplaying games and alien to Bear's intentions.

#VPT101.004 - Welcome to the apartment

Feedback Notes:

V.001 to V.003 - typos

V.004 - changed 'tulpa' to 'partner'.

V.005 - set season and time

Relax, find a quiet space, get comfortable and don't forget to read the first post of this thread for instructions.

This exercise starts in the morning in late spring.

Whoops, this wasn't here yesterday. For us it was mid-November 2015.

You and partner awaken in the back of an ample limousine. You're draped in a satin velour blanket that feels like fine silk. The smell of fine leather and the gentle rattle of decanter glasses greet your senses. It's dark but you can see trees rush by through the midnight tinting. The plush carpet is lit by two rows of dim lights that remind you of a runway. The dark burgundy appointed leather is dotted with gold buttons and fine burl wood inserts surround the cabin.

Satin I know. Velour I know. Silk I know. Silky satin velour? I've got nothing. Okay, nice blanket, I know what that's like.

"Burl?"

Iris: "Just go with polished wood inlays."

"Am I in human form? There might be stuff that implicitly assumes human form."

Iris: "Up to you."

I changed from an orange tabby to a waifish pale skinned girl with a blue pixie cut.

How did you get here? (Just take a minute and think of a reason) How do you feel?

Iris: "Clearly, we have been kidnapped."

This is what you get when a gamemaster and a living roleplaying character try to do visualization together.

"Wait, is this the Dresdenverse?" Iris comes from the world of the Dresden Files novels and roleplaying game and, in my campaign, is currently living in London.

Iris: "Perhaps."

"Then I'm not Ember. I'm..."

Thistle? No. That would be cool, but she wouldn't be a good match for Iris.

"...Tara."

After a quick check with Vesper that we could suspend normal wonderland rules about characters for the sake of the exercise, my form flowed into that of Iris' nineteen year old sister, still pale and waifish, but taller, with long red hair and an snarky attitude that barely covered serious abandonment issues.

We spent the rest of the exercise communicating on both in and out-of-character levels, and as often as possible, in cute double-entendres that made sense either way but had different meanings in each.

Iris: "Yes, sister."

"Should we try to escape?"

Iris: "If they intended us harm, they would not have allowed us to regain consciousness. We can wait and learn more. Also, we have our powers. And our gear."

She raised her cupped right hand and a ball of white wispy frost swirled above it for a second.

"One mental stress till the end of the scene?"

Iris: "No stress. By your own rules, it was a cantrip. What is the last thing you remember?"

"I had invited you to accompany me on a case. We went to a warehouse in Docklands." Because apparently this is some kind of fanfiction of my campaign now. Tara is a partner in her wizard brother's private investigation firm.

As you get your bearings, a gentle feminine voice fills the cabin.

"Relax and enjoy the ride, sleepy heads."

Iris: "Could this be a new client?"

"This isn't how clients normally approach. Not if they want to make a good impression." I could only think of two people whose style could possibly be to kidnap by limousine -- Howard Adams, crime lord, and Eileen Raith, succubus. They would be working through agents, of course. Nothing that could be traced back to them legally.

As you ponder your situation, you notice a small box with a carefully wrapped lid and base. You're compelled to open it and are surprised to see two gold foil wrapped chocolates. The tantalizing scent of chocolate mixes with the leather in the seats and you feel privileged to enjoy such a simple treat.

Iris: "I am reluctant to consume food of unknown provenence."

The chocolate was nearly to my mouth, but I reluctantly set it down. "Good thinking."

The crinkle of foil against your fingers is accompanied by anticipation and as you press that creamy goodness to your tongue, the flavor brings you back to the joy of Christmas morning, or a relaxing Halloween snack.

"You know, one of us could try it. That way the other would still be in a position to help if there was a problem."

Iris: "No potential gain. The best case scenario is that it doesn't contain a hostile enchantment or toxin."

"Sigh." But chocolate.

You lean back in the comfortable bench seats that line the sides and take a long relaxing breathe. You feel warm together under the soft blanket.

Think about your surroundings feel the supple leather, look at the richness of the limousine. How does your tulpa feel? Look at them, what are they doing now?

Wait, tulpa, what? A wave of disorientation swept over me and I was back at my computer, Iris sitting close on my left, Vesper farther back on my right, trying not to distract us.

I don't know if it broke anyone else's immersion, but I think this one should be changed to "partner" too. But it's kind of a victory that I had my eyes opening reading my computer screen while effectively in another world.

Iris felt guarded and was maintaining high situational awareness. It's who she is and I love her for it.

The hum of the engine and the peaceful countryside passing outside, threatens to lull you back to sleep.

"I don't think we're in London anymore."

How does the ride feel? What can you hear? Is there any music? Think about the inside of the cabin, what does the ceiling look like?

Hmm. Broad wheelbase for a super smooth ride, but still a gentle vibration to let us know we're moving. Gentle, non-distracting music -- smooth, mellow jazz. Black padded felt roof like a normal car above the seats, but a long center panel of dark marble-grained plastic, with more track lighting along the edges of it, matching that of the floor.

I don't know much about the interior of normal limousines, but I thought it looked cool.

Then you hear the deceleration, and feel the limousine is come to a stop.

The window partition comes down and a cute young girl wearing a chauffer’s coat and driver's hat, that covers her dark pigtails, pops her head through and gives you a nod, "hey you two, I'm your driver, Joy, so... well, we've arrived!" she says with an adorable smile.

Iris: "I desire to speak with her at some length."

"Um, that would probably mean I would have to play her. Err... I've got nothing."

Iris: "Perhaps we should simply continue the scenario then. But I am feeling a lack of agency."

You move to the window and note that, based on her stature, she could barely see over the steering wheel let alone touch the pedals.

Iris: "She is fae."

You try to see where you are through the windshield and she pushes you back.

Wait, why can't I see where we are through the cabin windows? I know they're tinted, but we saw trees and countryside through them earlier.

"Exit the vehicle. Go on!" she says sternly. A flash of growing impatience in her eyes gives you an understandable chill.

Like hell, kid. You don't know who you're messing with. We're a couple of very powerful sorceresses and we've stood up to things that were vastly more intimidating than you. You had better level with us right now or...

You scramble quickly from the vehicle and find yourself on a busy main street plaza.

...I guess we could play along and learn more.

She exits the car and skips playfully toward the large double doors of a glass front building that must be 50 floors tall. You follow across the cobblestone plaza and pass a large flowing fountain where two bronze mermaids pour water from large pitchers.

Fifty floors? "Oh, I guess we are in London." London has about eighty percent of the skyscrapers of Great Britain. Let's see -- we couldn't be in the City, as the ward keeps out anyone with magic, so, maybe Southwark, near the Shard? In retrospect, Canary Wharf might have been a better choice based on what was revealed so far, but Southwark is what we went with.

Iris: "We should extend our magical senses."

"Yeah, but how do we know what we should feel?"

Breathe that fresh morning air. What do you hear? What can you see of the plaza? Can you see the people pass by? What are they like? Concentrate on a car on the main street, what color is it, what does it look like, how fast did it just pass by? Enjoy the moment next to the rippling fountain for a minute.

Smog at the edge of the London Congestion Charge Zone. Car motors, occasional honking. Lots of rushing pedestrians in business attire, not paying any attention to us. A red Mini Cooper crawling down the road at average Central London traffic speeds of eight miles an hour, bumper to bumper with scads of other cars. A double decker bus. Leaden grey sky. A touch of frost in the early morning November air.

Iris and I fell into conversation. Tara had complained to multiple PCs about Iris being a robotic stick-in-the-mud, which Iris knew out-of-character, so we addressed some aspects of their relationship which might never show up in my game, where neither is a viewpoint character.

"This way please!" the surprisingly young-seeming girl says with ever growing impatience.

You approach the tall building, and the clear glass facade reflects the sky with a brilliant blue shine, it’s dappled by gently flowing white puffs of fluffy clouds.

Wait, what? Blue sky? This isn't London. This isn't even Britain! Where are we?

You enter the double doors to an immense lobby with a spiraling staircase and see-through glass elevator.

Be in the moment, take a moment to look around, smell something, feel something, look at your tulpa, hear something.

"Tulpa" didn't throw me this time, but I still like partner better. Let's see -- immense lobby -- okay, the lobby is a hollow shaft rising the entire height of the building, with balconies ringing the inner part of each floor. There are actually two spiral staircases, going all the way up, forming a double helix, letting off at each floor. The glass elevator is in the very center of the building, with walkways spoking out from it at each floor. More business types mill about in the background. The elevator dings as it moves. There is a faint smell of cleaning products in the air.

"Here's your keys, go up the elevator to the apartment and find your instructions there. Don't forget to have fun!" A devious gleam in her eyes makes you wonder if she was being genuine with her well wishes.

Okay, it's not just that we're being weirdly reserved and guarded about the scenario. Bear clearly wants us to be apprehensive.

The elevator doors open and an inviting tune comes through the gold trimmed glass doors. The view is impressive, as you gaze up at the three-story gently spiraling staircase, the impossibly large marble columns, the vast expanse of glass, it all gives you a strong feeling of energetic power. With a clear view of the fountain and main street, you feel another rush of energy from the scale and elegance.

That... contradicts everything I was imagining. Okay, rebuild, rebuild -- nope.

You feel a push as you're forced by this surprisingly strong girl into the elevator. You wonder just what you got yourself into.

The doors close and she waves with a playful smirk, and as you start to ascend, you see her skip out the double doors and back through the plaza.

What could this mean? As the elevator ascends, what do you see? Where does that spiral staircase go? Do you still hear the music? What else can you hear? How does the elevator ride feel? Try to see the scene change as you ascend.

Grief, how am I supposed to know where it goes? I'm lost now.

The elevator goes through the ceiling and rides along the outside of the building. The view goes from a grand architecture of town center to a breathtaking view of the sunlit countryside in the east as the sun rises over the horizon.

Iris: "This is inconsistent with my knowledge of urban planning. Skyscrapers are constructed where land is too valuable for shorter buildings. Ample land is available here."

I could see again as I watched the sunrise. "Good thing Vesper didn't come with us." Vampires and sunlight really don't get along.

Iris: "Why would Vesper be with us?"

Iris, unlike me, was staying in character, referring to the Vesper from her campaign, who isn't a vampire or a detective. Our talk got really complicated at that point, with braided in and out of character comments about either Vesper being with us.

Across main street you see a park that abuts a mountainside trail which crawls its way up the local hill, and further up, a forested cloud ringed mountain takes shape.

Iris: "We are in the Nevernever."

Essentially, Fairyland, despite the surprisingly modern appearance of our immediate surroundings.

The doors slide open to a hallway, and at the end is a large open door.

You walk down the finely appointed hall, lined with dark wood chair rails, elegant crown moldings, and finally you walk through the doors to a simple apartment studio.

The first thing you notice is an oval, wood lined, glass, claw foot table adorned with a tall floral arrangement of unique blooms and amazing colors.

Iris: "Monica."

Monica, Iris' step-sister, recently became Queen of the Spring Court of Faerie. So obviously amazing flowers are the work of Spring Fae.

What does the apartment look like? What do you smell? How do you feel? Does the couch behind you look comfortable? Have a seat, sink in, look at the pictures on the walls, what do you see? Who is in the pictures? What do you see out the large bowed balcony window?

The flowers are centered under a spotlight for maximum dramatic effect. There is a small kitchen to the left, a restroom to the right. The air smells clean, though the flowers contribute a faint perfume. Wait, a couch behind us? Remember, high situational awareness, high distrust. We would have entered military style, making sure that we knew what was around corners or behind us before becoming vulnerable to it. Was that there when we entered?

Paintings like tapestries, with strange and ancient scenes of unfamiliar people doing arcane things. And the window -- if the elevator faced east, this faces west. The town doesn't extend further in this direction than the other. Forest, a lake, leading to a river, and in the distance, sea, to the southwest.

There's a note on the table:

"Enjoy yourselves, have a bite from the fridge, take a stroll down main street, enjoy the rooftop pool, do whatever you like, and relax, because tomorrow we go on an adventure.

- Bear."

"Do you want to continue?"

Iris: "Perhaps later. Anything we try to do seems likely to be contradicted by additional writing."

We returned to my home office. Vesper was holding her head in her hands.

Vesper: "You dorks. You loveable, hopeless dorks."

She facepalmed frequently over the next hour as Iris and I continued to enthusiastically discuss our experience.

1. Realness % 0 being nothing, 100% being perfect reality.

2. How was it?

3. Quickly summarize your feelings, what was the limo ride like?  

4. Could you smell that chocolate?

5. What was the fountain like?

6. What about that staircase, where could it lead?

7. Were you worried about what you'd find?

8. Did you smell the flowers?

9. Did you look out the balcony? Go on and do that.

10. How good are the memories of this one?

(0% what memories? To 100% you mean that wasn't real?)

Ideally, you would now take a few moments to jot down what you remember of your adventure. I'd love to read that! If you share, make sure it's hidden.

1. Probably 30-40%? The visualization wasn't more vivid than usual, we were just able to sustain it a lot better because it was a lot more interesting.

2. Roleplaying with Iris was supercool and superengaging after years of playing as her. (Though last game, she played herself.) But several times, how we wanted to respond was different than how we were scripted to respond. (Which is a major reason I don't play video games -- insufficient agency.) Several times, what we came up with when asked to imagine the scene was inconsistent with later narration. So I love the concept, but reaching the next level of intensity requires a more interactive approach.

3. Surprisingly warm and cozy for a kidnapping.

4. Not exactly. My sense of smell is unusually poor, so my descriptions of scents are as much based on stories as personal experience. I might not have smelled anything if it had been physically present.

5. Fountainy. About ten feet across, with mermaids not quite life size facing each other.  Very old and worn, with some tarnish on the less worn parts. In retrospect, maybe a clue to the ownership of the building. Manannan mac Lir?

6. My staircases were cool and useful. Yours -- goes to the third floor. There's an eccentric taxidermist working there. He doesn't like to be bothered by customers who aren't serious, so his business isn't reachable by the elevator.

7. Not with my sister beside me. We can handle whatever comes.

8. We didn't stick our noses up to the potentially hostile magic flowers, no. But they had scents.

9. Yep. see above.

10. Maybe 80-90%? Visualization always fairs better in memory, as memories are themselves visualized reconstructions. And since I'm not concerned with objective reality, I can keep tweaking and improving the view retroactively.

The exercise had elements we've never had in visualization before -- story, anticipation, mystery. I love it for that, even though we kept trying to head in a different direction than intended.

Iris: It was pleasant and enjoyable.

I'm not going to be able to report in this kind of depth in the future. Vesper keeps pointing out the time. But I think the general theme of my comments is broadly applicable to later exercises.

Kind of wanting to read your books now, Bear.

[/hidden]

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

#VPT101.104

Extremely good feedback and story Ember/Iris!

[hidden]

I'm tempted to change the whole structure of the building to have double helix staircases and a hollow central tubular lobby spanning 49 floors... that's way better. But alas, I have whole sections random spots where having the whole floor is preferred. Dashie's hanger bay is one recent example, that's where we put the 30 foot Christmas tree. Then there's each of their two story floors, thre's a replica of the Spirit of St. Lewis hanging in one of them. Of course, then there's the roof, it's where Dashie's parked the corvette cruiser.

It's really hard to wrap my head around how I could give someone more agancy, but still guide them through the story and be descriptive, but one easy way to improve it is if I ask you to visualize something, then i better not describe it again.

Also, sorry for leaving a few Tulpa references in there, I definitely removed them all now.

An eccentric taxidermist on the third floor? Yes, Roflmao was his name, but all the unwelcome noseabouts chased him to relocate, and he left via temporal telaport along with his business and a sizeable portion of the building. It is of course now replaced by who knows what from some random  yet fitting point of the space-time multiverse.

My more interesting books are in another instance of the multiverse atm (an infinite number of them actually), and this is indeed a disturbing multiverse. The publications I have released are interesting but obviously unsuited for the GP and unrepresentative of my full skill in the art, better suited for free download than bestseller lists, though i did make a few dollars on them, and still may someday, still i've suspended the release of my exquisite jewels for after i become famous, so they can become sight-unseen best sellers instantly and be prominently displayed in the corner window of various inappropriate facades where grandmothers will buy them to give to their unwitting grandchildren

= profit for me.

[/hidden]

Reply to comments on report on #VPT101.004

[hidden]Agency would require an out-system person to be present for the exercise. They could read the whole script in advance and understand where it's going so that they know where it can bend without breaking. Then they could interactively narrate based on it. Meanwhile the system undertaking the exercise could lean back, close their physical eyes, and maybe even dissociate a little, instead of having to remain connected enough to physical reality to read the script.

If the out-system person is a good GM, they wouldn't need a script. Most people would benefit from a script, and that's why tabletop roleplaying modules sell.

The exercise would still be very different from roleplaying. In roleplaying, visualization supports the story. In this, the story supports the visualization.

Tulpamancy is so RAM-intensive, I'd be glad of an opportunity to offload some of the burden out-system. I may have to talk to a friend about that.

-Ember[/hidden]

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

VTP#102.1 response

[hidden]

Started out ~60% then as we got more into it, it went to ~75% later on

2. How was it?

It was lots of fun. We really enjoyed the pond in the park. We also went ahead and hiked up the mountain after the text had ended, and though it was a long and difficult journey, and we were both out of breath by the end of it, the sense of achievement and the view from the top made it well worth it.

3. Quickly summarize your feelings.

Content, tired, powerful

4. Did you enjoy the plush bed?

Yeah, very soft and comfy

5. What was it like to look out over the balcony?

It was pretty cold, and being up so high the wind was not blocked by the trees, so it was very windy. The wind just made it more exciting though. From up there all of the people looked so small and insignificant, it really gives perspective.

6. How did the morning breeze feel?

Refreshing and exiting.

7. Did you look down?

Of course. Neither of us were really worried about falling because the position we were in made falling quite unlikely. As I said before everyone looked very small.

8. What was breakfast like?

Waffles and syrup! It was very tasty, and the waffles were crisp just like they should be. They did neglect to give us any drinks however, so we just got water from the sink

9. Could you smell the fresh treats?

Yep, they smelled delicious

10. How about the lobby of the building, did anything catch your eye? There was a very inviting lounge that we decided to leave for another day, we had places to be after all. The wall facing the plaza was also almost completely made of glass, it was quite the sight to behold.

11. What was the fountain in the plaza like? In VTP#101 we decided that a seal would look better than two mermaids, so there was water spewing from the mouth of a seal that the kids were playing with instead

12. How about the trees?

It was a very heavily wooded park. We tried climbing one of them, and they had such a thick layer of leaves that they could support our bodies. It was lots of fun

13. Did you look up through the branches and see the speckles of sunlight through the canopy?

We did. It looked quite nice

14. Are you excited to see what adventure awaits you up the trail?

Where we not supposed to finish the hike ourselves? Oops

15. How good are the memories of this one?

Our memories of this one are very good. I would rate 85%

[/Hidden]

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

#VPT104.001 - The Roaring Rapids

Feedback Notes:

[Hidden]

All previous notes have been incorporated to the best of my ability.

V.001 - Fixed spelling errors

[/hidden]

I recommend you do these in order, so go back and start from the beginning if you haven’t followed along.

This one may be a little darker than most, so take your favorite hug-able stuffie with you.

Recommended Reading:

[Hidden]

Brother bear sat:

Brother bear sat as he often did, in his favorite meadow, near the river, under his friend, old man oak tree.

Brother bear asked his friend, "what's it like to be old?"

Old man oak tree thought, he pondered and creaked, swayed in the breeze and hummed to himself in contemplation.

Brother bear grew tired of waiting for his answer and went fishing in the river, next to his favorite meadow, as he often did.

Brother bear returned many hours later. He sat in his favorite meadow, near the river, under his friend, old man oak tree. Belly full, tired, and ready for a nap, he heard a familiar creaking.

"To be old," said old man oak tree, "requires patience."

[/hidden]

Relax, find a quiet space, get comfortable and don't forget to read the first post of this thread for instructions. Remember to be mindful of what your partner is doing.

[hidden]

Refreshed and ready, you take one last look at the shoreside meadow, one last smell of the fragrant flowers around you, and brave onward. The trail is well worn and inviting. Roots and rocks seem almost polished by the traffic of other hikers or creatures of all sizes. As other paths join it, the trail is soon wide enough to enjoy the trees to your right and the lazy river to your left.

Contemplate your surroundings. Look over the river, what’s on the other side? Can you see the looming mountain ahead? How steep is the path? How far above the water are you now?

The trail starts to creep higher over the river, and the trees are soon dense enough to form an impenetrable wall against your right, but the babbling river and the calls of exotic birds make you feel safe and happy on this scenic route.

Try spotting a bird, what does it look like? What color is the water in the river, how fast is it traveling?

Your cheerful march is unfortunately staggered a little when you hear thunder over the mountain. You look and a rogue thunderhead is assaulting the facing slope of the mountain ahead with a torrential downpour. It seems harmless enough as the beast of cloud passes but soon you notice the river start to swell.

It’s still pretty far below you, and there’s no reason to suspect it could reach the path, so you walk on.

Can you hear the river below? How close is it to the path now? Are you worried? Look over to the trees, do you think you could climb them if you had to? Is there anything in your packs that could help if you had to?

The path seems to narrow and there’s a bend up ahead that obscures the path. The water continues to swell as the runoff of the flash flood empties down the river.  A flash of light and more thunder causes you to pause, a tempest is brewing along the mountainside. You notice the river is becoming tumultuous, certainly this doesn’t happen every day.  Maybe it’s time to go back? Before you can consider it, you feel a vibration and suddenly the path behind you, where you just stood a moment ago, washes out into the river below, undercut by the swelling rapids.

Look at your partner, are they scared now? Are you running, maybe you should, GO!

Your pace quickens as does your hearts. Around the turn you can see up the river and its whitewater seem to grow ever violent against the shores. You’re literally sprinting over rocks and roots now, parts of the path up ahead are crumbling before you. Finally you see a break in the trees, maybe it would be better to brave the woods than to wait to be claimed by the river so you rush between the trees and scamper up the darkened woodland path.

It’s narrow and cramped, barely enough for you two to stand side by side. As you travel up further, only the smallest glimpses are afforded between the trees. Having gained some ground, it seems like a good place to rest. As you catch your breath, you hear more thunder and the crash of something large.  Perhaps the river is cresting and taking the trees themselves to a watery grave.

Look around you, how do you feel? Are you nervous? Ask your partner what they would do in this situation. Close your eyes take a deep breath and hug your partner, remember, you're brave, your strong, you can handle anything.

It's no time to panic, steadfast, you continue to climb up the path, it’s more of a mountain hike now. You can still hear the river rapids, but at least you're elevation gives you a feeling of safety from that danger. Soon enough you've scaled a hill and from this elevation a small break in the canopy gives you a look at the mountainside. The monstrous clouds are clearing and the sun shines off the leftover mist with a glorious rainbow. Panting and sore, you take a moment to rest again.

Are you relieved? Take a moment to relax, have a seat and catch your breath. Smell the fresh air just after the rain. Enjoy the soft breeze coming up the path. Listen for birds and the wind through the broad leaves above you. Are there any animals or birds up in the trees?

You smile at your partner then notice something odd, the trees along this path seem to have been scared at by large claws. Some of the marks are rather fresh in fact.  Before you can even consider what might have done this you hear panting and you look to your partner, it’s not them. The growl of an unseen creature, a large one, seems to be getting closer. Now you hear the tearing of branches. A huff, and stomp. RUN!

Oh how you looked forward to this hike, and what an exhilarating hike it is. Running up the slope of a mountain, on a seldom used path, chased by some tremendous beast with, no doubt, ill intent! Cresting the local hill, the trees open to yet another meadow. You can see the river again as it gently waterfalls down a stepped rocky path of large boulders alongside this picturesque mountain meadow.

No time to enjoy it though!

You run up under the protection of dark shadows a large oak tree. You stop with your backs against it. It’s silent except for the waning river, and you’re trying desperately to listen but you’re also trying not to pant from the sprint.

How do you feel now? What do you think will happen? Let some scenarios run through your mind. Ask your tulpa quietly what they think might happen next?

You nearly jump at the creaking of the large oak tree. You soon realize that this 30 meter tall tree is bending down. Large bark lined eyes open and look at you with derision. A cracked smile forms and the tree seems to swell with breath.

In a low booming voice that you can more feel than hear, it speaks, “did… brother… bear…”

Suddenly large footsteps pound at the tree line and an immense grizzly bear stops mid-roar when it sees the tree. The bear rears up on its hind legs over three meters tall. It sniffs the air and you’re frozen in place, hoping it didn’t see you.

The bear speaks angrily, “the river washed out the rest of the path!”

The tree creeks and sways, slowly twisting his direction, “Oh… is… that…”

The large bear swipes an angry paw at the air and gallops on all fours to the riverbank to take a drink.

“…right?” the tree finishes in a low booming voice.  It then turns its attention back to you.

Your shaking your heads, you're temped to shush the tree, you hope it won't alert the bear to your presence in the shadow below the tree. You can feel it swell with a big breath and you desperately shush the tree, but before it can even speak again, you hear a frustrated exhale behind you.

“Unless you have all day, don’t bother talking to him.”

You snap back around and look up at the looming, slightly angry looking, bear.

“Hi, I’m Brother Bear, and old slowpoke there is Old Man Oak Tree.” He offers his paw as if he expects you to shake it. Relieved, you consider your next move.

How are you feeling? What does Old Man Oak Tree look like? What does Brother Bear look like? What does your partner want to do next? What does the meadow look like? Can you smell anything? Spend some time interacting with the bear and the tree to get some reassurance of safety.

It’s afternoon and time for lunch. Brother bear has several varieties of berries, freshly caught salmon, and fresh river water collected in the cups of large green acorn shells as big as your fist. You are welcome to stay and eat your fill.

Can you smell the fresh salmon? Did you filet the skin and cut out some fresh sashimi? Feel the weight of the berries and pop one in your mouth. What kinds of berries are there? How do they taste?

After an hour or so visit in the beautiful mountain meadow by the river, Brother Bear speaks again, “it's been fun, but you can’t stay here. Brother Wolf is coming with his kin tonight for the full moon. I'd say go back the way you came, but that's not gonna work, so follow the other path down the slope to the valley. There’s a Cabin there you can stay for the night. You have time, but the cabin is your safest bet for the night. Good luck, friends.”

2. What did the storm clouds look like?

3. Were you worried about being swept out by the river?

4. Did you see the Rainbow?

5. Did you see the scarred trees?

6. Were you scared being chased by Brother Bear?

7. What did think about Old Man Oak Tree, did he scare you?

8. What did the waterfalls sound like, look like?

9. What did your partner do when you met Brother Bear?

10. Did you try the sashimi?

11. How good are the memories of this one?

Ideally, you would now take a few moments to jot down what you remember of your adventure. I'd love to read that! If you share, make sure it's hidden.

[/hidden]

You don’t need to answer any of the questions on paper, it’s not a test, just answer them to yourself, but feel free to answer any of them in hidden form in the comments or PM me, I’d be happy to review them. Also, PM me with corrections or suggestions for improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

#VPT101

[Hidden]

1. Realness: 5%

2. Was fun.

3. Surreal but "I could get used to this."

4. Not really.

5. Big? With the 2 giant mermaids pouring water.

6. I couldn't see where it lead, the view was blocked by a part of the building... or something, can't remember.

7. No, for the entire thing I was just happy to imagine myself with Fiora. lol

8. No. The only thing I could smell of the entire thing was the leather at the beginning.

9. There's a giant flower field, to its right there's a forest, to the left there's grass until  some city buildings (small ones at first, to the far left they start becoming bigger.)

10. 8% (somehow when thinking back at memories of it, it seems a bit more real than during the exercice itself.)

At first, in the limousine, I imagined Fiora with the same number of polygons and low quality texture from the game, up close it looked and felt so weird I had to restart, take a second take. lol

During the whole thing, I kept switching between 1st person and 3rd person view.

Fiora was still very sleepy in the limousine, even after we ate the chocolate. My first thought when I saw the loli chauffeur was "it's okay, she's an android, she just looks that way and the actual driving was probably automatic anyway. We're in the future.". When she pushed us in the elevator later I wasn't surprised at her strength for the same reason. Android.

Instead of paying attention to the details of the fountain I was just focused on Fiora, hearing the water made it relaxing. We were hugging when the loli went impatient and said "this way please!".

Then we were holding hands to enter the building. In the elevator Fiora was the one interested in looking at the landscape, she moved to the window so I hugged her from behind while also looking at the landscape. It looked good but it was difficult to imagine the transition between the different views as the elevator went up.

We were holding hands as we walked the corridor, but this time it was the other hand (her to my left).

Somehow the portraits were of other Xenoblade characters, except one was of me with Fiora. (Hey where did you get these pics, Bear? ;P)

[/hidden]

#VPT105.001 - The Meditation Cabin

Feedback Notes:

[Hidden]

All previous notes have been incorporated to the best of my ability.

V.001 - Fixed spelling errors.

[/hidden]

I recommend you do these in order, so go back and start from the beginning if you haven’t followed along.

Relax, find a quiet space, get comfortable and don't forget to read the first post of this thread for instructions. Remember to be mindful of what your partner is doing. This is a warm day in spring, it starts in Brother Bear's meadow next to the cold mountain river.

This one may also illicit trepidation, you might need your blankie.

[hidden]

As you stare into the dense woodland path, feeling wary about your continued meanderings in this forest, a soul chilling howl is heard far in the distance. There's only one way to go now, unless braving sharp drops off waterfalls is on your bucket list, so you take one last look back at the sunlit meadow.

Breathe in that fresh air, a scent of rain, forest soil, and pine. Take one last look at the sunlit meadow, wave goodbye to Brother Bear, and Old Man Oak Tree. What do they do?

Knowing it's likely that you'll be trudging through dark and foreboding, stuffy woods for a few hours at least, you take one last deep breath and ready yourself to march on. If Brother Bear's comment about finding a cabin in 'the valley' meant that you'd actually need to go into 'the valley', then it's going to take a while, because though you try to look down the mountain side to find its end, the valley is nowhere in sight.

Notice something, pick a flower for good luck, smell it, and hand it to your partner, let them smell it and watch them do something with it. Listen again for a few moments, what do you hear?

You think back to what Brother bear said, 'there’s a Cabin there you can stay for the night. You have time, but the cabin is your safest bet for the night.' While nightfall is quite a while from now, you've searched through your packs, and there's no light. So wherever this cabin is, you better find it before sundown; the woods aren't known for good path finding at night, even on a full moon.

You walk on down the path and as you gain distance between yourselves and the meadow the path darkens to a twilight state. The mood is calm, you feel no wind, but the air is stale and heavy. It feels warm and thick, ripe with the scent of musty wet soil. The trees are interspersed with pine and as you walk the pine trees seem to be increasing.

Soon the forest thins out a little giving you a feeling of openness and comfort in comparison to the wooded path, but with fewer trees comes disorientation because the path is much less clear. The feeling now is gloomy, and you could swear you catch something out of the corner of your eye. It keeps happening; a flash of white just out of reach. You stop and stare at eachother, but not to look at each other, to try to catch this glimpse of whatever seems to be shadowing you. You stand there breathlessly, it's silent as the grave.

How do you feel? Ask your partner how they feel? There's room, so mark your path so you can find it again and do something. Look up and try to see if there's anything unusual.

The oddest noise comes out of nowhere, it sounds like a cat getting his tail pulled or the terrifying screech of a large reptile; it's sharp, raspy, indecipherable, loud, and close. You run! Down the path the trees rush by, that thick air seems to steal your breath; the low light and ever vanishing path worries you almost as much as whatever creature or person could have made that horrifying sound.

You run nearly tripping over roots, barely missing trees, and that glimpse of white keeps happening. The path shifts and you seem to be ascending in elevation.  Up, not down... You don't even know how long you've been running but whatever made that terrible sound doesn't seem to have followed you. You jog to a stop, catching your breath, and look around you.

There's nothing, no noise, no wind, no path, just trees, fir trees, pine trees, and the occasional birch. It's getting to be late afternoon now, and you're startled by a cricket. The sky is growing darker.

There's no path...

Take a moment to catch your breath, consider you options.

A realization sinks in, you're lost. There's no panic though, Brother bear said, 'go down the slope'. Okay, well that's easy enough. So you and your partner simply start walking down hill. Surely the valley can't be so laden with trees, a cabin can't be too hard to find. The spacing of the trees is enough to forge any path.

After a short while, the crackle of forest litter under your feet is no condolence to the overbearing dead silence around you. The darkening sky is another silent warning. Walking down a slope is at least something you can even do in the dark, though how would you see a dark cabin in the dark?

Look around you, what's it like? How do you feel? What's the atmosphere now? Ask your partner how they're doing. Tell them it'll be okay, this is just part of the adventure.

Another white flash and you could have sworn you saw a wing. You scan the trees, the branches, the pine needles scattered around you, but there's just nothing unusual. Inanimate, seemingly lifeless litter surrounds you and you're are about to lose hope for ever discovering what is clearly following you.

Then it happens again, "SCREEEEEECCCHCHHHH!" Like nails on chalkboard your spine tingles, the hair stands up on your neck, your eyes widen, your pulse quickens, but you've had enough.

Yell something! Turn and face you tormenter.

You find her... it's a small white owl. Staring at you with that characteristic heart-shaped facial disc; a ghostly figure standing on the littered ground, black eyes, motionless, and staring at you. Suddenly it hops toward you and the whimsical nature of it's gate is almost comedic. You're immediately relieved as it spreads it's little wings and perches on a branch near you, almost close enough to touch. It stares at you for a moment then starts preening itself, an obvious sign that it doesn't consider you a threat, and a small owl is no threat to you either. Though it's cute, you and say your goodbyes, as there's a cabin to find, and it's getting dark.

You must find this cabin before dark, but blindly following the hillside down seems a little high risk. Ask your partner what to do. Strategize now, think! How are you going to proceed? What are you going to do now?

The howl of a lone wolf pierces the silence, it's followed by several others, they're not that far off.

It's getting late, you need to find that cabin, whatever you're going to do, do it! Go on, you're running out of time, find that cabin!

Proceed once you've found the cabin.

You've found it. You're relieved and overcome with peace and joy. At the base of the slope, the trees open to a lonely valley with a small stream trickling down the middle. In the growing moonlight you can make out the roof of a rather large cabin. A candle in the window beckons you to safety.

The rising moon reflects its light off the stream and reveals a large lake further down. You almost welcome the breeze after all that time in the stale forest, but it brings with it a cold chill. This evening spring air here is biting cold in fact. The cabin looks warm, rustic and well kept, the candle in the window makes you wonder just what's inside, or who. Yet, you remember something else Brother Bear said in passing, 'no one else uses that place anymore, so feel free to make yourself at home.'

From the outside the cabin is picturesque, warm and inviting. There's even smoke trailing out of a stone chimney. As you approach, the windows tell that it's well lit inside. There's a large stony clearing in front with large inviting boulders that form natural lounging spots. It looks like a beautiful spot to meditate and rest.

One last howl of a wolf convinces you it's time to go inside and spend the night.

Go on and explore the cabin.

2. How did you feel as you left Brother Bear's meadow?

3. What did the twilight forest feel like?

4. Were you genuinely frightened by the sound of the owl?

5. Where is the owl now?

6. What did you yell at him?

7. Were you worried that you'd remain lost for the night?

8. How did you find the cabin?

9. What was it like in the valley?

10. Describe the inside of the cabin.

11. Was there anyone inside?

12. What did you do?

13. How good are the memories of this one?

[/hidden]

You don’t need to answer any of the questions on paper, it’s not a test, just answer them to yourself, but feel free to answer any of them in hidden form in the comments or PM me, I’d be happy to review them. Also, PM me with corrections or suggestions for improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

Response to VPT102

[Hidden]

Cassidy and I had a lot of fun, especially at the very end. We just messed around in a field for a while, and I drew back on my memories of a trip to a state park, so everything was pretty vivid and enjoyable. I'm plan to do the third one tomorrow. Great job! 

-J

[/hidden]

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread