Switching Out Question - going "catatonic"

Apollo Fire

I was a bit curious and tried if we can or even if it is possible at all to dissociate out all of us to lose control of the body, since summer is like a host that time and i was pretty much at the backseat, she can easily dissociate out from the body but it always ends up someone being pulled to the front.

Maybe with some practice we can get a more better results

Hello! I am nihi, i have 3 tulpas

Summer

Myrtle

Cherry

Did you lose some text there, I'm a bit confused

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

@Lumi

In that case, isn't it just dissociation, the way we described it? The way you talk about it, it sounds like all/most of you, or at least one of you are/is still there and 'awake', definitely not with every member dormant, like Apollo mentioned. And if I'm wrong, how do you know what is happening (like the body scratching an itch), without any member of your system being aware and not dormant? Does the body somehow automatically store memories without anyone being conscious? And then it's accessible for anyone when coming back from dormancy?

Uhhhh, interesting questions, you're definitely from a different community though. Based on this mostly,

When I've dissociated in order to avoid things I perceived as traumatic, I wasn't able to think.

I don't think the type of dissociation tulpamancers do is quite the same as in uh.. traumagenic systems? And the communities they make up. Dissociating from the body/mind doesn't require being inactive, it just puts you in the same state as a tulpa is in when you're talking to them. A tulpa isn't "dormant" when you're talking to them. Between switching, both the one switching out and one switching in are active, the others can be and probably are inactive. I suppose the body would still make memories, though we switch with our eyes closed for the most part, and nothing of note going on outside the body. My memories of switching like yesterday definitely are of our sort of inner space where we visualize the switching (and where I see my tulpas when talking to them, if not imposed), I suppose. Memories of in-between switching are sort of neutral and just encompass the actual interactions happening in the brain rather than one person's perspective on it, since that's how it happened.

Let's see... I don't know what you were talking about with your second sentence. If one of us dissociates to switch without anyone else being active.. no one would switch in until that person got bored and switched back I guess? Switching requires handing off the "reigns" of the mind to someone else, and for the in-between part it's sort of shared between everyone I guess, 50%. 50% not active at all. Never really thought about someone trying to go inactive while dissociated to switch but with no one else there... Seems like it's the same as I said, a state of not really thinking (you could just do this by laying back and closing your eyes, though) and you automatically snap back to the front pretty easily if the body needs to think, I guess. Still doesn't feel too terribly different from everyday stuff.

Did I miss anything? Main thing was just that "dissociation" (from the body) doesn't require being inactive at all. Puts you in the same place as a tulpa - existing totally mentally. Although theoretically it could differ by system, for the huge majority of tulpamancers, memory is shared between everyone. Personally in our system, our memories feel "tinted" with the feelings/thought processes/mindset of whoever was fronting, which also puts the respective fronter in our naturally 3rd person memories. That's always been kind of cool IMO. But anyways, my tulpas specifically are always instantly caught up on anything they missed while inactive, drawing off the same memories as me. Other systems have reported their tulpas not knowing what'd been going on, although they also usually shared memories? Perhaps some of them had never switched at all, though.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

In my own system, there's a very strong pull for someone, anyone to take the front, as soon as the fronter steps out. When I go into sensory shutdown, which involves a strong amount of dissociation, I don't feel like I'm in front. The body goes pretty catatonic, but there is a form of autopilot that remains, and can minimally respond to certain things, can stand and walk, etc. It's nothing like falling asleep.

I think it'd be hard for everyone in the body to go dormant, just because there's such a strong drive in most people for that to not happen, but I doubt it's impossible.

-J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

I'll preface this as always by reminding people that our experience of switching doesn't involve dissociation. We're all either fully tied to physical senses or fully unconscious. Whoever is switched in is responsible for either forcing a companion or not; not one of us can sustain awareness without some trace of the fronter's attention and I'm continually shocked when I hear that some other hosts can. It sounds like a neat trick, worthy of writing guides to achieve, not of writing guides to avoid.

Every switch is subtly different for us, creating a range of variation. Normally, Vesper or Iris can just "leap out" and apparently our brain will automatically reboot to default configuration -- me fronting. I've tried what they do. It sort of works, except that it hurts to get part way out and then be slammed back in driver's seat by the reboot. For me to succeed in getting out, one of them has to be trying to get in.

There was one glitch relevant to this thread though. During one of our early switches, Vesper discovered her love of working with her hands. She did a job I would have found tedious and difficult with speed, efficiency, and enthusiasm, then stepped out with a flourish, beaming. I had been watching, sitting beside our body, and when she stepped out, I stayed there, gaping at her. It took a few seconds to realize that neither of us were in control of our body -- it just sat, slumped, breathing normally, eyes open, transmitting sensory data to both of us. I watched for another few seconds, marveling, decided that it would just never do anything else without a driver, and got back in. I wouldn't know how to do that on purpose, but it seems to have been a product of sufficiently strong surprise and distraction.

It may be of some significance that no one was specifically forcing during those several seconds and apparently no one needed to.

By "switched out" I mean they're unaware/inactive, that sort of thing.

If that's really how you want to use the term... if everyone in a brain were unaware/inactive, the associated body would be asleep/catatonic/comatose by definition. That isn't exotic. We do that for hours almost every night. But switching doesn't require dissociation from the body and dissociation from the body (not speaking from personal experience) doesn't require inactivity of thought.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

@Lumi

Oh I know. I know and figured out tulpa style dissociation is different from trauma-based dissociation. The reason I gave it as an example is because that's the most drastic type of dissociation I've experienced in my life, and it matched to some extent the idea of "inactive/unaware" that Apollo brought up. The reason I'm asking and inquiring is because of this:

By "switched out" I mean they're unaware/inactive, that sort of thing.

Because that assumes switching out requires unawareness/inactivity and so far everyone posting here (I think? My apologies if I'm wrong) mentioned switching  as retaining awareness, despite stepping out into the backseat.

So then, in other words, switching absolutely doesn't require more than the main fronter stepping out into the backseat and no longer associating with the body, right? I've been wondering about this for a while now. This thread clarifies some things and that's super neat. It does mean we had experienced a short switching event, after all!

~ We are Venny, the host, and Viper, my soul! ~

Click here! Come join us on the chat!

Oh, I didn't realize that's what you guys were going off of. That's not what switched out means, and not his definition; rather, he meant what if everyone was switched out and went inactive, which would normally be impossible as the one switched in would be forced to be active. Hypothetically. I already talked about how that would go.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.