The Possibility of Parrallel Processing

uncannyfellow

The definition used in medical and scientific literature by the psychologists and psychatrists who codified DID and OSDD. There are plenty of DID/OSDD systems who are upset because of non-DID/OSDD people "appropriating" medical terms like "system", "host", and "switching".

-Ember

Yes; yes there are. Very, very upset. "How dare you steal my specialnes!!" upset, lol.

whoah whoah, are those really real terms? Switching actually came from somewhere other than just the word making sense? wow, how has this never come up in five+ years on the forum, that's kind of a big deal if it's true.. can you point us to any citations? I can't say that the community will accept/stick to the definitions but I'm really interested to see if they do/ever did line up

I am so glad that others have already given you a buncha links to that stuff.

Edited by ShadowsDancing Admin:

To say "I hold my current views till I'm satisfied otherwise", is fair enough. To say "I'm right and everyone else is wrong, shut up", is immature. I feel we have more of the former going on so it seems fair to me.

Agreed. We very much experience parallel processing. We do not discuss it in these forums due to the rabidness of some of the "I'm right unless you prove me wrong.  You can't prove me wrong unless I admit I'm wrong" crowd.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was all over the place; the "channels mention" was a metaphoric example trying to prove my point by example, since this is as close to the indoctrinated definition of parallel processing i could think of. I don't know how to proceed to prove an experience at the moment, and i was getting too emotionally involved in my efforts (taking to too personally maybe?). I believe i was sounding rude and childish at some point so i need to apologize to Lucilyn (sorry Lucilyn) and take a break from this topic for now.

Well this got more attention than I expected it to... someone from my system will probably have a longer response soon, but a few people talked specifically about how parallel processing relates to switching, and I want to address those comments:

It is definitely possible to switch without parallel processing, because people have done it.

I guess my bigger question would be "Are the guides that say you need to know parallel processing still useful?" I want to try a variety of methods for switching to see what works best, so it's important for me to know.

anywaaays, no switching guides are modern? Doesn't Tulpa001 cover it? not that his system really learned to switch like normal tulpamancers but still, he did'a lotta research into it. as the most active switch-ers here I feel bad we haven't made some sorta in-depth guide on switching, but... to explain it in-depth when you normally just have to figure it out yourself at some point, we'd have to go into our really in-depth "meta tulpamancy" stuff I think, where you have to be able to hold conflicting beliefs, namely how to logically explain tulpamancy and all that happens in it and still "believing" in your tulpas as real people and having real experiences. It's quite an undertaking! And like Tulpa's guide it'd probably cover a lot more than just switching

also it'd get us called crazies by a lot of the tulpa community outside the forum (you guys are great!) lol

Tulpa001's guide says stuff like "Your tulpa will start forcing itself after a while" and that parallel processing is possible. Admittedly, it says parallel processing isn't necessary for switching, but it does strike me as a guide to Ancient Greek tulpamancy.

And if you wrote a guide, I know at least one system that's having trouble switching would read it :D

While the Ancient Greek tulpamancers (who are mainly ten to fifteen years younger than me) did seem to use "parallel processing" to mean "host and tulpa thinking about different things at the same time", the practical component of it was usually "the tulpa experiences the wonderland with fully physical immersion while the host isn't paying attention to them". I don't think they ever just meant "host and tulpa are conscious at the same time and therefore able to communicate with and experience one another."

Once upon a time, "switching" was officially defined and enforced by GAT to mean "the host connects entirely to wonderland senses, losing awareness of the body and leaving the tulpa to possess it". (As in, hosts switch, tulpas don't.) This definition is incorrect. The medical definition of switching is "changing which personality is in control of the body". Switching does not require a wonderland and does not require disconnection from physical senses. It requires disconnecting from what might be loosely termed "executive control" of the body, and in that fundamentally differs from possession.

This is not in any way to disparage fully immersive wonderlanding, which I think is an awesome thing for those who can manage it. But by GAT standards, what Bear does is a lot closer to switching than what my system does.

I expect in most cases a host's abilities while switched out are capped by their tulpa's abilities while switched out. The tulpa, after all, has vastly more experience in the non-physical realm. (Unless, perhaps, the host practiced wonderlanding or other arcane mental disciplines for a long time prior to beginning tulpamancy.) If the tulpa can impose, it's vastly easier for the host to learn to impose. If the tulpa can experience an immersive wonderland, it's vastly easier for the host to learn to do so. If the tulpa doesn't experience an immersive wonderland, there's no foundation or context for trying something like Fuliam's "reverse imposition", so everything has to be painfully built from scratch, on top of Fuliam's own claim that his technique is incredibly difficult.

-Ember

So the guides used the word switching differently than I use it, but are those guides still useful? If I want Cornelia to be able to control the body as if she was a host, would those older guides still help?

We are
Uncannyfellow: host - 12/07/1992
Kanade: tulpa - 9/16/2018
Cornelia: tulpa - 9/31/2018
Nikki: soulbonded walkin - 5/6/2023

Okay, so I have a few questions about parallel processing or models explaining how parallel processing work:

• If intrusive thoughts, imposition, and mind voice are all "channels" or ways for a System mate to communicate, then does that mean imposition must be learned first? I know you usually talk about Hypnogogic hallucinations in general, so is that a key part of the recipe?

• Are there other "channels"? For example, when Cat and I had a "mess" moment once, I tried to take the front and Cat panicked. Once I imposed myself elsewhere, the "mess" ended. Is controlling the body its own channel, and does presence imposition (with open eyed imposition) also count as a separate channel? Or am I getting this confused?

• Is it possible that the more a system has in common with a DID system, the more of these "parallel processing" feats can be achieved?

• Vesper made a really good point about mind cams. For those who claim to process in parallel, how do you and your Tulpas see? Even if you don't operate in parallel, do you all share a mind cam?
    Bonus: If there are separate mind cams, is there a way to train how to separate the mind cams?

These I think are enough questions for now.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Re: cams

I can place it anywhere, and there's a mode i call 3d cam, where my 'vision' encompasses all sides of an object simultaneously.

Right now. Misha and I take bear form and run down a dusty road. I'm running but looking at her beside me. Then i can shift the cam behind us, seeing us both running, then move to her perspective. Hi, there i am. Now i move the cam in front of us, looking back. Are we going to run headlong into a tree? No, i know where they all are because of the spatial awareness of wonderland. If i concentrate on that, now i see there are caves underground and there's a hot air balloon in the distance.

We stop and i can separate the mind cam into two, we each have one, we look at eachother, and i can render both images simultaneously. They're not overlapping, they're separate. She walks up to me, i see her move closer to me and she is seeing me grow bigger as she approaches. It's much easier to switch views, bit for short periods i see both.

In this case it's way easier to see one at a time, and i'm getting a bit of a headache from concentration. Just a stray thought, i literally could shut off my irl vision while doing this. I presume since this is all in my consciousness right now, it's harder. I can rather see her memories later or whatever you think i'm doing later idc.

The cams combine again, i see her jump me and we tumble off into the grass as she grips my ear in her teeth and growls like a little puppy. She's cute in any form i guess.

I don't know how to teach that. If you're visualization rendering is fast enough, you could rapid switch them i suppose.

Now that this is done, i can put two monitors in the wonderland apartment and explore one view as Dashie explores the other. I am watching myself run, while Dashie is moving the other 'controller'.

for some reason trying to see of she can position the camera on Misha's crotch. Sorry Dashie, bears are very harry, you can't see anything.

. I'm watching both montitors side by side.

Quickly switching maybe? Do it fast enough and you basically experience both simultaneously.

That doesn't sound like quickly switching, rather processing all the views as one. When I visualize I can imagine the angles that I can see increasing slightly. If I do this for long enough then the fov expands to the point where all the sides meet. I'm not certain if that's similar to what your describing though

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I guess here's another thought experiment about mind cams. We actively tried this as I was writing this post.

Cat is sitting on a sofa. With her eyes, she can see the interior of the campus building, but some of the view is blocked by columns, some celling, and a poster-stand-thingy a few feet from her left at exactly 9 o'clock. Imposed using open-eyed visualization, I can walk behind the columns and poster thingy and Cat can only see me in her mind's eye. Just using this fact alone, Cat can stare at a sofa at 12 o'clock while I walk behind a column between 10 and 11 o'clock and I can stay hidden by walking in that same direction behind the column and then walk back to the column and be seen in the mind's eye. Cat can't focus on the column because Cat is staring at the sofa, so the best rendering off myself in this situation is Cat seeing a prefrail rending in her mind's eye.

Now If I were to bring a separate mind cam so I can see around the room, that would require me using the mind's eye and I will need a second mind cam. Cat, meanwhile, will have to face the sofa at 12 o'clock just like last time.

From our first try, Cat's mental rendering flickered back and forth and then she felt a little dizzy. We tried for about 3 seconds, and then Cat suggested she stare at the column and I move around using my mind cam since that's where the parallel processing seems to be happening.

Second try, Cat tried to stare at the column, but when I tried to see Cat's mind cam of looking at me seemed to take priority and Cat felt a little dizzy again. I wanted us to then focus on my cam and switch to two, but then Cat created a split screen where my mind cam was on the right and one mind cam was on the left panel. Even the split screen caused issues because rending me moving about and me trying to see at the same time was really hard to render.

We can play around with this some more, but it sounds like split-screen is going to be the most doable. It feels like the brain took two separate tasks and merged them into one, kind of like how rubbing your tummy and patting your head can be merged into one task. It's still difficult to do, but it's interesting.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

So the guides used the word switching differently than I use it, but are those guides still useful? If I want Cornelia to be able to control the body as if she was a host, would those older guides still help?

Heck if I know. We didn't learn to switch from a guide. My wives, a DID system, switched in front of me for years. We did what felt like what they were doing looked like and it worked, perfectly, first time. We didn't even ask them for pointers.

In light of our experience, I have a favorable view of SevensSystem's "Just Do It" approach, but that may lack important details for most systems:

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-switching-so-you-wanna-switch-do-you-really-might-be-able-to-help-that

We'll try to break down our switching process in as much detail as we can in our next PR, whenever we get it written.

Cat created a split screen where my mind cam was on the right and one mind cam was on the left panel.

We can trade the one camera back and forth pretty easily, but using a split screen sharply degrades the already poor quality. We actually get better results from directly superimposing two different images on top of one another. *winces* Ow. Headaches mean growth, right?

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Still on visuals (my concentration thus far in tulpamancy) Putting two images on top of eachother is what you're brain is meant to do, cause of the whole bilateral symmetrything (two eyes). Yes, it's easier if you overlap them, still, hard to focus on both at once, but it can be done. Put one hand over one eye, look at the scene behind it and your hand at the dame same time irl. Like wiggle your fingers and look through them, not too hard to see what it should look like in wonderland. Now take one eye out of your skull and look behind you with one, forward with the other. Images are overlapped.

In my wonderland, everything is in focus, and there are no shadows, reflections, not even light sources unless i look for them. So focusing on two things is pretty simple. Seeing from two perspectives going different directions is a lot harder and only lasts less than a second at a time. Though i'm sure it can improve because 6 months ago, i would have said that about a smile on my tulpa's face. 9 months ago, it would have been seeing more than a closeup of a hand or something, i couldn't originally even see their faces at all, i almost forget about that now since i see talking and body language at this point.

Now any npc is clearly visualized on the spot.