Behold, "Tulpant!" Does it have a better "ring", y'all?

Jamie

I will use "tulpanto" instead of "tulpamancer!"   

19 members have voted

1. 1. I will use "tulpanto" instead of "tulpamancer!"

• Sure!
    • I need time/I'm not convinced yet.

[Formally titled, "Behold, 'Tulpanto!' I bring you a new word from Esperanto."]

What's wrong with "tulpamancer?" 

1.) The -mancer has the wrong connotation. Tulpas aren't magic and neither is the act of creating/having them.

2.) It sounds entirely unprofessional. Just silly. A little bit of mystique is fine, but "tulpamancer?" I'd turn tail if someone told me they were an anything-mancer.

Where'd I get "tulpanto" from?

The constructed language of Esperanto, created in the late 1800s by a Polish doctor as a universal auxiliary language, makes it easy to put roots and affixes together to make new words. I used tulp-, from tulpa, as a root. The root -anto means "one who does the action the of root", or less formally, "doer/maker." So, a tulpanto is a tulpa-maker. 

Why should I say "tulpanto" over "tulpamancer?"

1.) It doesn't have a magical connotation. 

2.) I know some people will want a word that's even more formal and science-y sounding, but I don't think that's going to happen. We're not super-brain-force-masters. "Tulpanto" sounds more like an obscure cultural identity than a strange magic society, and that's what I'm aiming for. 

3.) If someone has zero clue what tulpas are, and they hear the word "tulpamancer", they have instantly linked tulpas to magic. That's their first exposure to tulpas: as something to be seen through the same eye as magicians. On the other hand, "-Anto" comes from Latin, and is found in many romance languages such as Italian, Spanish, and even English. (Protestant, servant, participant, etc.) It means "The agent noun derived from verb", or again, just "doer." 

4.) This change will impact our impression to the world. When some researcher, journalist, or heaven forbid, local news host discovers us, what do you want them to know us as? Confused people will come in contact with us, in some context or another, and they have to call us something. What impression do you want to be their first? This is your chance to improve the world's view of tulpas, just by avoiding a misleading term.

How can I shift to saying "tulpanto?" 

1.) "Tulpanto" is pronounced tul-pahnt-oh, each syllable rhyming with "full", "want", and "go", respectively. Just like "tulpa", but with an extra bit at the end. The plural in Esperanto would be tulpantoj (the "oj" is pronounced "oye"), but I think tulpantos is better for English. 

2.) Be proud to identify yourself as a tulpanto, if you are one. Doesn't it have a better ring than being a "tulpamancer?" So many people are turned off by that term, and I'm sorry to report, our Hogwarts acceptance letters never came. I don't think it's appropriate for us to refer to ourselves as any kind of sorcerer, witch, or wizard. 

3.) Spread the word. Link confused people back here, or just tell them, "we decided to finally start using a new word, instead of continuing to use that one we all didn't like." You have that power. We have that power. If you don't like the term "tulpamancer", then stop using it.

The more it's used in the community, the more comfortable it'll be to us. Imagine the first people to call themselves tulpamancers! If they can get that started, we can get "tulpanto" started. Just by writing this post, the newness has worn off "tulpanto" for me. 

-J, a tulpanto

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Yes to tulpantos. Or maybe the plural could be tulpantoes with an “es”?

Also what would you say instead of tulpamancy?

I offer "tulpado." The -ado is very similar to -ing in English. It basically means "tulpa-ing." There is also "tulpigo", pronounced "tulp-ego", also meaning tulpa-ing, in the sense of "cleaning", "sewing", or "cooking." Like, "You haven't tasted her cooking!" However, "tulpado" sounds much better in English, and the pronunciation is pretty natural. 

However, I tend to just avoid saying "tulpamancy." I speak about the subject of tulpas. However, if you want to speak of the tulpado community, I think that sounds much better than "tulpamancy." Tulpado isn't magic. Tulpado sounds like some type of cooking. Or meditation, and that's not far off the mark!

-J

EDIT: I considered an "e" in the plural form, but it looks clunky to me. I figured I'd go with the simpler option of slapping an "s" on it and calling it a day.

Our Thread

I'd turn tail if someone told me they were an anything-mancer.

Well this is a bit awkward...

I like the term tulpamancer actually. I think that it is much more striking than tulpanto. When I hear tulpamancer I think "wow that sounds weird, but also kind of cool", when I hear tulpanto I just brush over it.

Also, mancer is closer to what's actually happening than anto; I don't do tulpas, I talk to tulpas.

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I would never use it even if everyone else did. I'm an English speaker, not an Esperanto speaker. Also, "the thing we do" is absolutely an arcane and eldritch art, even if nothing metaphysical is involved. The connotation of magic is appropriate to the weirdness of the experience.

Regardless of what we call it, as soon as we start to describe what's involved, most of the general population will have alarm bells going off. Changing a name that's already appeared in Psychology Today, Vice, and Business Insider (from the top 10 Google hits), even if it can be achieved, isn't going to make us more acceptable.

Now if you want to make your new term the standard one in Esperanto, I support you a hundred percent.

-Ember, a soulbonder

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

In general, I like the idea of replacing the word “tulpamancy” with something else. It does have an “automatic” negative connotation to most people who read it.

However, Ember.Vesper brings up a good point: “tulpamancy” has already been used elsewhere. I would extend on that to say that we should not replace it unless we can somehow have a word with a positive connotation. I would also probably insist that it start with “tulp-” and not include “-mancy”; Given those restrictions I'm not sure such a word exists.

In essence, I think it's too late. “Tulpamancy” is already used everywhere, and even if it was possible to change it I don't think it would be wise.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

I really like this attempt, because it's better than a lot of other attempts to replace "Tulpamancer/ey".

I don't think it's too late to replace "Tulpamancy". Samuel Veissière is really the only scientist aside from a brony hater and other Tulpamancers to publish work on Tulpas. All he would have to do is say "...._______, formerly known as Tulpamancers..." and problem solved.

Plus, those other atricles from the Business Insider or whatever are like "Oh wow! Look how weird Tulpamancers are!" Do we really want people to re-read those? I appricate the courage other Tulpamancers had to step up and go pulic, but not the media coverage they recieved.

I experimented with saying "Tulpanto" out loud. I like how "Tulpanto" sounds when correctly pronounced, but the biggest issue I had with "Tulpanto" is it doesn't sound natural to say in plain old English. I then came up with "Tulpator".

[hidden]

Tulpanto

Tulpanto (tul-fan-toe)

-lost the "pa" in tulpa

"I am a Tulpanto" ??? (It doesn't sound right or natural in English)

"I am a Tulpantor" (tul-fan-tor) (better, but still weird. I keep wanting to pronounce the -tor like "doctor" in Spanish)

Tulpafanto (Tulpa-fan-to)

( I used "f" and not "ph" because otherwise it would be "Tulpaphanto" which looks like I'm talking about ghosts.)

"I am a Tulpafanto" ??? (Same problem as before. We don't end things with o's and a's a whole lot in English, especially not for adjectives for describing people or their jobs)

"I am a Tulpafantor" (without the Spanish -tor, it's a mouthful to say in English)

"I am a Tulpator" (sounds better in english, kind of sounds silly I guess?) (sounds like translator)

[/hidden]

I'm sorry, but "Tulpado" sounds like a kid's game. The last thing I want is for people to associate Tulpamancy with children for lots of reasons.

If we used Tulpator to replace Tulpamancer, then Tulpatoring would be the replacement for Tulpamancy? Tulpator and Tulpatoring sound like made up words, but it takes out the -mancy and -mancer.

I wonder if instead of using "Tulpamancy" we just said "Tulpa creation", "The practice of making Tulpas", or sometimes "the Tulpa creation process". Those means the same thing, and even though it's kind of wordy we don't have to turn to more made up words. Maybe we don't need something like "Tulpamancy" to brand ourselves by...?

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

same as Ember/Jean-luc, no "Tulpamancy" would be good but Tulpamancy already has MAJOR roots, possibly more in the past than will ever exist of a new term in the future (idk), and I'm not really feeling Esperanto as an arbitrary language to pick up (Latin's good for romanization though), we're way past where we can claim an arbitrary suffix like the original Tulpamancers did and now if we changed it it'd have to be something very, very normal I think

"Tulpator" sounds better but obviously it's still too arbitrary to replace tulpamancer

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Okay, I say "tulpa hosts" and avoid the "tulpamancer" altogether. Or, "tulpa creators." The word "practitioner" comes to mind but it sounds silly.

And there aren't any monolingual Esperanto speakers. Also, I don't know if this was your experiment, but it's a "pa", not a "fa", at least as far as an Esperanto pronunciation goes. Just like "tulpa."

Tulpado does have issues with its sound. I don't like it much, either. I much prefer to just avoid "tulpamancy." Are you talking about the culture? Say the culture of tulpas. Are you talking about the process? Say "the tulpa creation process." Are you talking about the skills involved, collectively? Say "tulpa-related skills." I think that's more accurate, anyways, because visualization and lucid dreaming aren't things that just tulpantos learn. I don't think we need that label.

Is arbitrary bad? I like arbitrary, because it makes it so the only first impression is that of "tulpa." Do you have any ideas for very, very normal terms? Would a two-word term be okay? I do like "tulpa host", but the meaning is vague. What about "tulpa maker?", or something similar?

-J

Our Thread