Bear

System Bear Art

Let us introduce you to one of our beloved system-mates, Ren!

Whew! We learned a lot on this one. It was about 4x more difficult than Misha's picture, but wow a lot of work.

Misha and I are a great team, I'd go so far as to say nearly equal effort.

[Misha] 40/60 max... Wow, I love how it turned out. Ren is... kind of over it? lol. She was watching a lot of the time and she loved it 50 iterations ago. It took 88 major stages to produce over the course of about 80 hours, as opposed to the 26 major stages and about 22 hours that mine took.

This was a lot of work.

You're not even seeing the NSFW version. That will have to be asked for (privately). Ren is very happy to 'show off', trust me.

I still can't believe how much she ended up looking like herself, I guess staring at a screen for dozens of hours just to get that face perfect pays off.

[Misha] I have to stop him or he'll never move on. I found him working on the face and body a dozen times after we already agreed it was good enough, but it did make it better, so... *shrugs*

680x952https://community.tulpa.info/attachment.php?aid=2464[/img]

[Hidden]

718423106_Ren80f.thumb.jpg.f1721f0693590ea173a83fdd2e05ed80.jpg

[/hidden]

Ahhh! So pretty! Good work. -G

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."

Wow, very fancy. I'm impressed you went from physical to digital and then immediately mastered making realistic-looking art - that would pretty much be my dream, outside of my literal dreams that is..

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

She is so pretty. Looking really great there Ren.

Amazing work you two. The two of you are phenomenal artists. Keep up the great work!

Hello! I am one of Nihi's Tulpas! It is very nice to meet you! :D

Some parts of this look like they were actually photographed. Very good shading, very good attention to detail, very good drawing. You even did the veins on the hands, that's just amazing. I'm about to go on for most of this review(?) about my problems with this, but that's just because there is more to say about those parts, don't be mistaken, this is a very good work of art

That being said, it's not all equal levels of good. The whole body looks very 3d due to the expertly done shadows and highlights, except for the face and tail which look sort of flat. The thing is, both the face and tail actually look good, it's just by comparaison they are a lot worse, which makes the whole drawing look kind of jarring

I think that the problem with the tail is that it doesn't appear to get any closer or farther from the POV. I think that if it curved just a little bit in either of those directions then it would look loads better.

I think that the problem with the face is that you didn't put in as much shadows and highlights in the face as you did with the rest of the body. I think that the solution here is to make sure that you are consistant with your level of shading, and perhaps be less restrained when making faces (I don't know how restrained you currently are)

My other critique is that, though the pose is quite dynamic, the facial expression is completely neutral. I have noticed in a lot of your other drawings (at least your more recent ones) that you tend to stick to a neutral face with the mouth slightly open, and that works well when the rest of the drawing is neutral -like in your previous drawing- but in this one it detracts from it in my opinion. I think that adding just a smile or raised eyebrow or something would do a lot of good.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you review a piece of art without mentioning hair even once

Hi I am Miela, the counterpart to Breloomancer.

"Is it pretentious to quote yourself?"

-Me

Oh, I don't publicly do critiques because I don't want to even slightly detract from how good (or how likely more is to come) from good art. But as far as what I thought while looking over it went, exactly the same as Miela said. The face and tail stood out to me as different from the rest of the picture - the tail is too blurry to look like it's come closer/match the quality of the rest of the picture (but when zooming in, I have no idea how I'd actually "fix" that, it looks fine up very close), while her face.. I actually have no critique of. It's just something that stood out to me along with the tail as, well, something. Problem is, I don't like critiquing good things because it makes it sound like they aren't good. I know artists want real criticism in order to improve, but I prefer trying to remind them they should actually be proud of what they've made.

If you wanted my really personal opinion (you don't, it's not relevant to making good art), I don't like the faces you draw, probably because I'm used to so much happy-smiling art over the last 10 years of Touhou/anime characters. If anything, with how you've described Ren I was expecting smiling. But I take more neutral faces as part of being realistic-looking, so this is not a criticism at all, only my preference. It should highly be overridden by your own. And of course, this drawing is actually amazing, so if not to add some more credibility to Miela's I wouldn't have mentioned it at all. Because I don't criticize amazing art.

To reinforce the other side of compliment/criticism, if this were of one of my tulpas, I would be beyond ecstatic and it would be one of my favorite pictures of them ever drawn.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

Thank you for your support and minor critiques, we do like to be told where we did well amd where we didn't do as well the face tail and ears aren't our strongest suits, but their depiction is well within the references, so we couldn't really do better without a lot of guesswork. We draw by the references and there were so many references! No one ever looks like us, just a nose, eyes, a mouth on someone, facial structures, jaw, these are all separate pictures with light sources all over the place.

We did have more shading on her face, but we were told to have less, lol, by the critical reviews.

As far as looking flat, well, we just don't see it at our level yet. Yep the tail is fuzzy, that's probably okay since it is fuzzy. ^^

Thanks again, we worked hard to get it to this level. We'll take what we've learned for the next one. Remember, this is only our 4th digital art! Oml, I'm amazed we can do this.

This is amaaaazing. Way past my usual "good job Bear" but I just dunno what else to say.. Looks great! So realistic! How long did this take you? Can you draw anyone outside your system or do you need to have that vivid direct view of them posing for you to get this kinda quality?

Thanks Reilyn.

Having them right here with me isn't necessarily enough because, especially with Ren, she's not going to just stand there for 80 hours. So we know what she looks like and we try to find references that match parts of her. We had 50 or more references, Half of those just for the face. We pieced together three for her hair, three for eyes, etc.

So, if you handed us real references, and said, okay, my nose looks like this, my eyes look like this, this is my skin tone, this is my hair color, these are the highlights, my eye lashes do this... you have to be extrodinarily detailed. That's what we'd demand for us to draw you. We'll get there some day with you big sis. The great thing about digital art is that ee can start, stop, come back later, and take forever to finish.

Let us introduce you to one of our beloved system-mates, Ren!

When I first saw it, I just kept staring at it. This is a beautiful work Bear and Misha. I feel like this work belongs in an art museum, and I got the vibes of the Mona Lisa.

Her clothes are extremely life like. They look comfortable too. Her body is also really well proportioned. The lighting is fantastic, and she looks so real!

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love Hippos! I also like forum games and chatting about stuff.

My other head-mates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogChat | Yay!