Imposition question

11mail

Lately I have had sensations where Ranger was kind of standing there, and for a moment I could see him in my peripheral vision, only for me to turn my head and no one's there. I honestly didn't think about this until I read Tewi's post, and I too am struggling with visual imposition.

Have you ever had that moment where you expect another person or pet to be there, you see them, and then the next second they're gone? I'm guessing this may be the next step.

I find that caffeine (for some reason) and the dark are both things that trigger the "is something there" hallucinations more often. Hopefully this helps.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first sense we recommend starting out with is actually the "sense of presence"

Ember: We managed very strong sense of presence the first week and then slammed into a brick wall on achieving anything further in imposition. Sense of presence is super awesome -- I know exactly what you mean by a cold empty room, Tewi. But our physical senses remain supremely unconvinced. I'm not sure even of what further to practice, other than visualization, which we do.

Vesper: Just a few days after I started manifesting a form, I playfully stuck my head in front of Ember's view of her monitor and even though I was invisible, her eyes refused to focus any further away than me, so she couldn't read the monitor. We can still do this. Many times early on, I would randomly leap on her back. At first she could bear my 'weight', but it gradually became more burdensome, just on the strength of her belief in my presence. I had to stop when I made her actually fall to the ground.

Ember: It wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't immediately held out a hand to "help" me stand up. Silly me, I took it, and almost went headlong again.

Vesper: We believed a lot at first, buying so strongly into presence that I would start to help her with a lot of physical things before realizing I couldn't. The shock and disappointment on both our parts when she would turn around to look at me and not physically see me was gut-wrenchingly painful in those days. But I'm inclined to think that getting used to it, accepting and expecting it as we do now, is backsliding and may make progress more difficult.

I can project their presence anywhere without them being involved necessarily.

Vesper: Normally I maintain a tight grip on visualization in my vicinity and in association with my form, to combat intrusive visualizations. So normally Ember can't do that. But I tried relaxing my grip and discovered that Ember actually can manifest and control a second 'me' if I allow her. From the few times when we haven't been able to reach one another, we know we can't fake anyone else's sense of presence or 'mindfeel'.

I find that caffeine (for some reason) and the dark are both things that trigger the "is something there" hallucinations more often.

Vesper: We mainly avoid caffeine because it can trigger our insomnia. Creepy presences in the dark are probably an atavistic survival instinct. It's better to fear the tiger in the bushes who isn't there than fail to fear the tiger who is. Or are you saying darkness can encourage benign presences or hallucinations, other than via the Ganzfeld effect? That would be very interesting.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Ember: We managed very strong sense of presence the first week and then slammed into a brick wall on achieving anything further in imposition. ... But our physical senses remain supremely unconvinced.

Huh, interesting. Can't say I've ever heard of a case like this, since the "sense of presence" idea was sort of made up/introduced to .info by us ourselves. Before that, if people couldn't do imposition, they just made no progress at all. Anyways.. if you've tried what is basically how you do imposition a lot and gotten no results, I'm not sure what I can say to help. It requires convincing yourself you should be seeing/feeling/etc. your tulpas where they're imposed. It starts out with the senses being slight and imagined, so perhaps you should try from there? Imagining you're feeling/seeing/etc. your tulpas, sort of like parroting for vocality. I have to imagine with a good sense of presence, and constantly telling yourself you should be experiencing certain senses (and imagining you are, to give your brain a nudge in the right direction), you'd be able to convince yourself/your brain with practice.

Thinking through that myself, the other senses like touch sound a little easier to "imagine" than sight given visualization is a thing and all, but I think it should still be possible.

Interesting Tewi.  I can project their presence anywhere without them being involved necessarily.

Sure, and I can talk to (and make talk) my systemmates without them being involved necessarily. That's just parroting. Unless you mean your tulpas also feel they are where their presence is, in which case you mean you're just the instigator of the act with no effort on the tulpas' parts. That's normal, the association with our imposed forms is automatic for us too, a sort of background process of the mind. But it doesn't necessarily start that way for someone just learning imposition; their tulpas will need to learn to associate with the imposed forms, normally. Could be automatic for them too, but it could very well not be, so I mention it regardless. Skipping that step means you all believed they had to be their imposed forms from the start, but more critical systems (like us) could have an in-between "imposition puppeting" phase if us tulpas didn't feel like the imposed forms were us. But I'll admit this is rarely if ever a problem.

Would you say you can actually 'be' in the room next to Lumi? Where is the difference delineated between tricks and imposition or is imposition the trick? Are we trying to trick ourselves or is there an actual placement?

I have to say I'd actually "be" in the room with him or it wouldn't be imposition. Yes, imposition is the trick. Saying there's "actual placement" would be metaphysical. But you're not just tricking "you", you're tricking your mind itself into believing it. Once you and your tulpas and your mind all believe, you're set. Normally it's improving how much your mind "believes" that constitutes "getting better" at imposition, but I suppose a system may have trouble with any of the three.

Interesting thing, that in a "cold room" you hypothetically visualize yourself in a warm room, whereas we would impose someone with us. Habit or preference here probably has to do with visualization quality and immersion; our visualization isn't great, but sense of presence is. And our visual imposition is good enough, at least, to confirm to the brain that we're actually there (as opposed to Ember's).

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Can't say I've ever heard of a case like this, since the "sense of presence" idea was sort of made up/introduced to .info by us ourselves.

Well, yeah, we picked up the term from your system within a couple of weeks after, though it emerged experientially just through visualization, the same as facial expression possession did.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

The first sense we recommend starting out with is actually the "sense of presence" - the feeling (and to some extent, belief) that your tulpa(s) is actually there, in the real world. Able to give you the "looking over your shoulder" feeling, for example, or that you're not the only person in a room. I believe that learning to impose the sense of presence will make imposing the rest of the senses onto that presence much easier. Starting from nothing is sort of like trying to jump a hurdle without a running start, I guess. Once you've got the sense of presence down, you (and your tulpas) feel like your tulpas are actually in that space, it becomes much easier to start convincing your mind that it's receiving physical senses like sight from them.

The way you say it you make it sound like sense of presence imposition is the hard part. I started out with sense of presence, and had sort of assumed that that's how everyone was. How did it work for you?

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

How did I make it sound like that? Looks like I just said "the rest is easier once you have it down" to me. Just because it makes the rest easier doesn't mean it's harder, just easily overlooked is all. The hard part, aside from getting started at all apparently, is improving the clarity/immersion/what have you, making it feel more real.

Lumi started imposition just by trying to see us in front of him. He'd outline us with his hands to sort of shape our forms in the air, and try and focus his eyes on that space as if there was something there. Walking around us to see from different perspectives also helped. From there we got the hang of it by being imposed with him at university, walking around the campus with him every day.

"Sense of presence" is something we came up with after realizing we had quite satisfactory imposition experiences even when our visualization was at its worst (it really goes away quick if we don't practice it, and we don't). That plus, you know, feeling anything at all even if we weren't within the body's vision. A certain "recent" experience when staying at our grandmother's house away from home (rather alone, and cold) for a week or so, in the midst of practicing imposition all day, gave us quite fond memories of imposition. We had a nice, small room upstairs with twin beds, one shared by Lumi and Flan and the other by Reisen and Lucilyn. I sat on a padded bench by the window - I don't normally lie down even if the others are - to watch the full moon every night. And while any real increase in visualization clarity we got from then faded already (clarity really goes back and forth pretty easily), it still feels important in our "imposition career".

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Don't worry, i've had Limme a month and (despite our best efforts) are struggling. It is still open-eyed visualization and he described our 'imposition sessions' as, 'Strange, gloopy kinda out of shape here but not here?' so yeah. I can't do it either although i have really vivid dreams,

Dreamer&Limme

An Aspie System

I thought I'd ask here since this is where I asked before and I didn't want to make a new thread do, here goes..

Last night I was talking to a friend about imposition and visualisation and such and he said some things that made me confused and made me question a few things.

Is there a difference between imagining something and visualising something? When you visualise are you actually supposed to see what your visualising instead of just black (like when you close your eyes)

I told him how let's say he asked me to see a person. I can see that person clearly and easily draw them on paper if I wanted but I can't actually see them with my eyes? Same with hearing my tulpas. I know what their saying and I know their voice but at the same time I can't hear them?

I could just be very confused and but I just thought I'd ask here in case. My friend asked me if I had that Aphantasia thing, but I haven't ever been told I have? Am I just doing visualisation wrong? Sorry again if this is in the wrong place :/

(sorry if this has already been answered but I thought what I was doing was visualisation, correct me if I'm wrong)

Not too active and the others don't talk very much to strangers.

The only difference is that imagining usually applies to all 5 senses, while visualizing usually applies to just sight. But ultimately it's the same, just picturing something in your head without actually seeing/experiencing it for real.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

Based on what you are saying it seems to me that you are able to visualize just fine, and that this was just confusion with termonology

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me