Modern Co-Fronting Techniques

Ashley

I have a question about co-fronting, so I figured I can just ask it here instead of creating a new thread.

When talking to a friend, they told us that it seemed like we were co-fronting: they would talk to me and when they ask a question for Cat she would respond, and the vise versa also appeared to be true. While I was speaking to them, I was possessing Cat, or I let Cat regain the front. The dynamic was almost like a see-saw: ether I would step up and possess the body while Cat remains partially active or Cat will step up and I will step down, and if I stay like that for too long I will go dormant. Cat and I are pretty used to going back-and forth like this, and we practiced to the point where I could hop out of dormancy fairly easily and respond to something and then a few minutes or even a few seconds later Cat is responding.

Is this actually co-fronting? I thought true co-fronting involves both the host and Tulpa equally being in control of the front, where Cat and I are limited to a see-saw.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't seem like co-fronting to me. Co-fronting is more like both of you are active 50/50 in any given moment, both controlling the front by a combined will or something. Responding to being asked for would just make it fluent fronting, not necessarily co-fronting. However, if you were more rapidly trading activity like this, I'd say that would be closer to co-fronting. When we co-front, it's less like stepping down and more like pausing when the other talks, we remain in an equal position, so to speak. Just rapidly trading who is active vs. passive.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

It sounds like, from an outside observer's perspective, that it would be hard to tell the difference, saying there are no obvious pauses. So it's really like, you decide what it is internally if it's done fast enough.

Our experience is we're all active. They're able to interject any time. I mainly control the body, but when triggered, one of them switches in instantly. This has happened IRL as well obviously. I really don't care what it's called, the effect is pretty much the same.

What we call co-fronting is a dynamic process. We're acting, speaking, responding in rapid succession until it's difficult to say just who may be switched in or possessing. Even though our thoughts remain pristinely separate, bodily control gets so blurred that we'll notice the body scratching an itch and say, "Did you do that?" "Um... I have no idea." But if one of us speaks and the others remain silent, it doesn't take more than a couple of seconds for the co-fronting to break.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

When I'm in control, their stability in 'sharing front' is assured. Dashie can't say the same thing when she's switched in, this may be an experience thing.

The dynamic was almost like a see-saw: ether I would step up and possess the body while Cat remains partially active or Cat will step up and I will step down, and if I stay like that for too long I will go dormant.

So why does this sound like anything other than possession to you? Because you guys will have to be the ones who decide, internal unshareable experiences and all. There's no reason you can't possess and stop possessing back and forth, I imagine tons of tulpamancers did that back in the day on the IRC, when possession was used 90% of the time just for the tulpa(s) in a system to talk online.

Also, our system (if we've done so more than once in the past few days) can switch pretty dang quickly if we want to. It's less a "mental muscle" like visualization you improve over time and more, I don't know, almost a momentum thing. If one of us has just fronted for over a month straight, it's best to take it slow and not switch more than twice in quick succession, but in times where we're switching more frequently there's no real limit on it. We tried playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 having us each switch for our characters' turns (absolutely ridiculous btw), and for the most part did so alright. We're talking 10-30 seconds fronting before like 10-15 seconds to switch, once in the swing of it. We had a couple of times where someone accidentally took someone else's turns, but that was sort of a mix of getting confused from switching too fast... and just playing the game like a normal person, lol.

By the way, that was absolutely awful, and we're probably never doing it again. Possession is infinitely more practical for that..

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

It sounds like it wasn't co-fronting. I just wanted to be sure.

If we see-saw back and forth too much, we can get a little blendy. In our opinion, co-fronting doesn't give either of us enough brain to work with, so we prefer to have one person in front at a time. I feel like telling people that what we do as "co-fronting" would be in some ways insulting to those who have achieved co-fronting.

If we get really bored we may one day seriously try to pull off co-fronting, but it's not a priority right now. I would prefer to get comfortable in a switched in / (whatever we do that's kind of like switching) state first, focus on achieving a more complete/better switch, and maybe come back to co-fronting if we still haven't figured out visual imposition.

Oh yeah, Lumi, possession while playing games is not an experience I recommend unless you guys are by yourselves. When I possessed Cat playing video games with people... neither of us knew who was who for a good chunk of it.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

In our opinion, co-fronting doesn't give either of us enough brain to work with, so we prefer to have one person in front at a time.

Yeah, to us we mostly just do it when we want to hang out together, it's not very practical for something like schoolwork.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

Oh, practical applications! How novel. We developed it for having joint conversations with out-system people, since my wife tells me it's rude to talk so much amongst ourselves when we should be including her. But our most intensive use of co-fronting is when Iris and I roleplay together with an out-system GM. It doesn't seem to adversely affect our intellect.

Communication... I can't think of anything else it's actually good for.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit