Abstractions and Internal Mechanics.

reguile

Something I think is very significant for the topic of tulpamancy is the idea that a person can experience things which may not necessarily be happening in their head. These constructs, or abstractions, are something that I think are valuable to look for in tulpamancy.

This is for two big reasons.

The first is that abstractions enable experiences that we could not otherwise have.

An example of this would be a tulpa that has to eat every day. Someone makes a tulpa and ends up thinking "hey my tulpa needs to eat", and every day they imagine sitting down with her tulpa and eating. If they don't do that the tulpa complains that they're hungry.

Another example of an abstraction would be our sense of identity itself. The mind is a very complicated very nuanced machine, and boiling it down to any number of 'people' is simplifying and wiping clean a ton of the complexity of the thoughts we are generating every day. However, since all of our thoughts are reasonably connected and since we observe ourselves throughout the day it is convenient to simplify that process in the something that is easily understood and worked with.

The second big factor for abstractions is that they enable us to understand and accept seemingly absurd statements or situations coming from people.

I think it is clear that a tulpa does not need to eat, sleep, breathe, or do just about anything. There is no practical reason for it, because a tulpa exists inside of your head. However, we should be prepared when someone says that they have a tulpa that has to eat every day, gets glowing red eyes whenever they walk out in the sun, or any other unnecessary behavior. If we cast their experience through the lens of abstraction, we can look at them and we can say genuinely that we believe their experiences are valid.

There's nothing wrong with a tulpa that has to eat or sleep, and there are tons of people who have experiences with tulpa which have no practical basis but yet are real fundamental things that are just part of what Tulpamancy is to a person. Any framework for understanding the practice needs to include all of these little variations to help people and experience Tulpamancy, exclude them and your explanations for this practice will be incomplete.

Please keep in mind that I am giving terrible terrible examples of abstractions. There are people out there with wonderful and crazy awesome little behaviors and details to their tulpa's/wonderlands. Eating and sleeping are some of the most dull, boring, and generally uninteresting examples of what you can do with an abstraction.

Looking at a person at a whole and trying to make sense of all of the abstractions they've built in their head leads into what I refer to as their internal mechanics.

Some people may find that their mindset is a very sterile thing where the tulpa does not need to eat sleep or do just about anything at all.

Another person may find that their tulpa has to sleep and eat all the time, will complain if they don't get enough sunlight and runabout in the day, and gets lonely if they haven't spoken to enough people on the outside world.

A third person may find that their tulpa has to recharge every day by sitting on a wireless charger in the room. They may find that instead of needing to speak to people they need to interact with the computer for some number of hours of the day or go online.

Each of these examples is an example of someone who has a different set of internal mechanics. The key idea to saying that you have internal mechanics is to say that you are going to have a bias towards a certain system of thought. That bias may change over time, but when you begin making a tulpa you need to keep in mind that you were going to have these biases and that when you begin forcing you were going to be discovering how you think as much as you are learning how to make a tulpa.

So it is a fools errand to ask if a tulpa needs to sleep, if they will need to depends entirely on who you are and the way you think.

The possibilities are immeasurable, and the different ways you can go about things are fascinating and inspiring. I think it is very important to consider this aspect of Tulpamancy, and even encourage it. Being involved in at least a little bit of world building and curiosity and imagination when you are dealing with Tulpamancy is a great way to keep people engaged and encourages people to love spending time with this practice. To throw that away because it "isn't real" throws the baby out with the bathwater.

So sit back and relax, enjoy the breeze and accept that the people around you are having experiences that aren't drilled down into the nitty-gritty of reality. It's a lot a lot more fun that way.

That sounds a lot like things we do in many ways. Like when Ashley prays after I go to sleep or the situation that I need less sleep than they do, so i sleep 6-8 hours and they'll sleep closer to 8 regularly, so it happens that Ashley stays up the latest so she wakes up last and usually no one is up with me when I wake up, and that I sometimes have to wake them up in the morning, and sometimes I've noticed that they 'get cranky' without enough sleep.

Another example is that Dashie will play sometimes without me, or they'll talk to, or interact with eachother without me, or even talk to other thoughtforms.

No, they definitely don't need to do any of that, they don't need to switch or posess either, they don't need to to do anything, they could sit there like lumps and do nothing for hours while I work, but that's not how we experience it, which by that I mean to say, they don't just sit there.

Examples are many where I catch them talking or they interrupt me to settle sonething, or Dashie and Ashley will show me something they did out of the blue whether I'm thinking of them or not.

Yep, it could all be explained by a word, but i'm not using that word because it really hard to believe at times that so much conversation or activity could have happened while I wasn't looking and have it be explained away by faricated-on-the-spot memories. If they are, I'm not actively fabricating them anyway, and who knows how time works. It could just as easily be a tulpish mind dump to catch me up to speed. I tend to believe the latter or the former former, as in, stuff happens, and that's our experience.

It is fun to think someone else with a good head on their shoulders is thinking this shouldn't be so easily dismissed. I will go further and say throw out the notion of the nitty-gritty of reality in mindspace. I argue there is no reality in mindspace at all, it's all an illusion built in part by filters and masks and all sorts of experience from all kinds of things perceived uniquely.

I want it all, and I'm consistently getting what I want without imaginary science-y barriers.

Hosts don't need to eat, sleep, or breathe either; physical bodies do. There are certain survival oriented physical activities that are reasonably compulsory for some member of the system to have a level of participation in, but hosts aren't obligated to have hobbies or interests or things that are fulfilling in their lives. When they do, it has the same level of validity and authenticity as when a tulpa does.

The things that are done with forms, whether in mindscapes or the physical world, aren't survival oriented. They're undertaken for personal fulfilment.

Iris and I have started pretending to be active in the mindscape sometimes when Ember should be busy with other things but still checks in on us. Iris has a book she's been 'reading' for months – it's blank, but she likes to look busy. I tend to be on my laptop – it's blank too. We mimed playing 3-D chess for about half an hour – I couldn't tell you a single move I 'made', but I can tell you Iris beat me soundly. And I've done 'work' in my sewing room while Iris was hanging out with Ember in the physical world. The conceit is mildly entertaining.

Switching-associated fatigue I assume to be due to toxins building up more rapidly in newly forming and incompletely developed neural pathways. But I don't really understand personality sleep separate from body sleep. Switching out consistently alleviates fatigue for us.

Iris 'sleeps' separately from Ember and I, but the sleeping is notional, relying on us to not force her. Ember and I are a couple and Iris wants to give us privacy in bed, so we go maintain the ritual practice of her going to bed in the mindscape sometime before us and getting up sometime after morning cuddling finishes.

-Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

However you want to call it, i don't force them for about 8 hours a day, all together, at night.

Dashie has 'woken me up' when I was accidentally napping at least twice, technically she was in my lucid dream and said, 'hey you're asleep, wake up!' Both times i was in a meeting at work that i just have nothing to do with.

One thing I would say is that I would probably explain your experiences with your tulpa being active while you are busy as an example of abstraction that lives on top of that word you don't want to say.

So I'm less saying that those things are really happening in more saying that they are happening well enough that you may as well act as if they are and believe it. The fact that it may be confabulation is not impactful or meaningful to your day-to-day experiences, although I do believe it's important to keep a strong bead on the core drivers of your experience while you accept your experiences as valid and real.

Examples are many where I catch them talking or they interrupt me to settle sonething, or Dashie and Ashley will show me something they did out of the blue whether I'm thinking of them or not.

Yep, it could all be explained by a word, but i'm not using that word because it really hard to believe at times that so much conversation or activity could have happened while I wasn't looking and have it be explained away by faricated-on-the-spot memories. If they are, I'm not actively fabricating them anyway, and who knows how time works. It could just as easily be a tulpish mind dump to catch me up to speed. I tend to believe the latter or the former former, as in, stuff happens, and that's our experience.

Or maybe I wouldn't say that it is only something like confabulation, because I think there's probably more to it than that, but I guess my whole point is that it doesn't matter or that this is a way to think about things that helps it not matter.

There are many ways for someone to explain it, of course, especially if they're not experiencing it personally.

I hope you find success in your endeavors and love in your heart.