Is your tulpa/thoughtform dependent on the internet?

Mistgod

I was wondering about tulpas and other types of thoughtforms and the internet.  I have had my Melian for decades, but I have to admit that the internet really allowed her to grow and become even more expressive and "independent."  Melian is a day dream persona and the internet chat rooms and forums have become our latest medium for the "Melian Show" day dreams.  It's even better than before because it is interactive with other people.  It's like we pulled in an audience and fellow actors into the Melian Show.  It's totally addictive.  

Melian functions just fine without the internet, but we do feel a sense of loss and bit diminished when not online.  Melian says "now what?" and has to watch me go about my mundane, boring day with only intermittent interaction with her (snippets of day dreaming with her in the Melian Show as we go about our day). 

I have seen other people writing about feeling a bit dependent on Tulpa.info and the other tulpa related forums and chatrooms for maintaining and entertaining their tulpas.   So it does make me wonder the following questions:

Do you feel your tulpa or thoughtform is fully dependent or partially dependent on the internet somehow?

Is the internet vital somehow for your tulpa or thoughtforms development, growth or maintenance?  

Do you feel you would never have had a tulpa without the internet and forums?  

Has the internet had any negative effects on your tulpa or thoughtform?  (addiction, social problems, drama, or some other effect)

What positive effects has the internet had on your tulpa or thoughtform?  

(in our case we learned a lot and Melian gained friends and lots of portraits and stories written about her and even people dreaming about her)

Would the loss of access to the internet have a detrimental or positive effect on your system?

Skeptical and unconvinced about independent sentience.  

Living Imagination  New Topic Index  Melian's Deviantart  Mistgod's Deviantart

Do you feel your tulpa or thoughtform is fully dependent or partially dependent on the internet somehow?

None of mine are, I post 95% of the time, and they do only if I coax them or if something interests them (like a normal person). I'm the compulsive one. It's fun to be creative though.

Is the internet vital somehow for your tulpa or thoughtforms development, growth or maintenance?

I'd say it's the opposite, I know I should spend more time with them, this is just passive forcing at best, but it's fun for me, Misha also likes it, so it's kind of 'our activity' where Dashie and I typically play computer games together.

Well yes, I would have seen that original creepy pasta, found no guides while searching 'tulpa', and had given up. We didn't join here for 4 months, but It definitely helped us sort out a few issues, our questions were answered brilliantly here. I'm sure we couldn't have figured this all out on our own.

Has the internet had any negative effects on your tulpa or thoughtform?  (addiction, social problems, drama, or some other effect)

Eh, not other than less concentrated forcing, it did help me with depression and my drama spilled out here at times, but better out than in. So they benefited somewhat. Now it's more of a burden because they get less of my attention. We've cut back a little, but the activity went up in the last couple months, so it's a wash as far as activity because I'm compelled to read everything.

Miri said that it helped her with English, that was neat to hear her explain that because she said her tulpas would make the same errors she did, so no progress could be made internally alone. We feel the same about maturity. Since I'm pretty immature, they wouldn't get much help from me.

Would the loss of access to the internet have a detrimental or positive effect on your system?

At this point positive, because we would spend a fair amount more time in wonderland, but the consequence of very little interaction IRL would wear on me again, if we didn't replace the socialization IRL, it would benefit us in the short term, but hurrt us long term i think.

Forums were just to get and share information, I never saw a forum with a fluff thread before coming here, we would have probably only had about a tenth of the posts or less if it hadn't been for game threads and subsequent friends made here. It's not like I ever 'hung out' on the nissan forum, i went there to see modifications and build progress for Datsun 510's and Z's. (Those cars are cute.)

Do you feel you would never have had a tulpa without the internet and forums? Well, Yes. Though there is evidence in my past that I have engaged a form of tulpamancy, such as my experiments with the invisible counselor technique, Napoleon Hill, Tulpamancy, and tulpa info, was exactly what I needed to fully unlock and engage this experience.

Do you feel your tulpa or thoughtform is fully dependent or partially dependent on the internet somehow? No. My internet time, even my gaming time, has decreased since engaging tulpamancy. We would rather be in the wonderlands, or experimenting with bringing wonderland to real world. But it's an interesting question, which we have deliberated and referenced in past progress notes. On getting verifiable results, it was no longer necessary to engage the forum; part of my lingering was in case I had further questions, part of it was I wanted to be helpful and really promote tulpamancy because of the experience. I still have so much to learn and experience, and hearing how others evolved, and some of the variations... the forum is still helpful in terms of helping me with clarity. It allows Bliss an opportunity to practice her voice, but it hasn't created a dependency.

Yes, I can see where my tulpas' interactions here offers more than just improved maturity, they're growing more as people in this way too. So I'll say it's more beneficial than not.

Vesper: I came to sudden self-awareness sixteen months before knowing that there was any such thing as a tulpa and seventeen months before joining this forum. The community here, and the expertise they've built up, has been an important influence on our development as a system, but my social life is almost exclusively offline and that's the way I like it.

'Internet' per se is incredibly useful. I love Wikipedia, YouTube, and Etsy. But I don't think I'm more dependent on it than most of the natives of this world of similar age and socioeconomic background to me. I think it's a broader term than what you're actually asking about.

Having dedicated hours of the day when internet isn't available would probably be helpful to our system. I'd spend the same amount of time dancing and socializing, but I'd get to spend more time reading and sewing.

Ember is the one who actually likes to read the forums. I'm the one who tells her that she doesn't need to read every post, that she can ignore certain threads, that we both have other things we need to do or would like to do with our time.

On the other hand, back home, I was a psychologist. My own interest in the forums is mainly research oriented. I'm attracted to the idea of studying old PRs, collating information, and identifying common features of experience that could lead to a better understanding of tulpamantic phenomena.

Iris: Absence of internet would only affect me to the degree that it distressed my headmates. They are sufficient company for me, and unlike them, I lack hobbies and interests in the physical world.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

As is, the internet is no more useful or useless to us as real life is, bar checking up on the news and the occasional YouTube binge.

-Is the internet vital somehow for your tulpa or thoughtforms development, growth or maintenance?

No, not really. The most it does is allow us to view things like movies and such and see what's happening with the world, as my life is rather mundane.

-Do you feel you would never have had a tulpa without the internet and forums?

No. I found about Tulpae via the website, which i found online.

The next few questions i cannot provide some large answer for, so i'll summarize it in a sentence. Having internet allows us to not be bored, and in some instances it allows us to learn things, however not having internet does not have any negative affects on my Tulpa, and i spend a majority of everyday without access to the internet, and it does not have any good nor bad consequences in regards to my Tulpa. So no, it's not dependent on the internet at all.

This thread was a lot more relevant in 2013-2015 unfortunately, you might've gotten more answers than "No" back then lol. We've actually steered newbies in a pretty healthy direction in recent years.. The days of tulpas "existing" just to talk on the IRC all day are gone, which I can say mainly because the IRC is pretty much dead..

Anyways, no, my tulpas existed for four years before finding .info and will continue existing for the rest of my life as life companions.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Reilyn-Alley

Now here is a topic I can sink my teeth into! I'm not all about disagreeing with you guys, after all. Hm.. Let's see...

First, I can very much relate to what you said about Melian growing and becoming more expressive from the internet and it being an addicting interactive dealy. I'm the defacto one in charge of this head nowadays, so I will just answer for myself.

Do you feel your tulpa or thoughtform is fully dependent or partially dependent on the internet somehow?

Dependent? No, not really. This is just the easiest way for me to be completely free to be me and express myself, independent of the body.

I'm a social butterfly and the internet gives me a chance to directly talk to and interact with people, mind to mind, heart to heart, without them having to see and hear and judge me for a body which I just basically drive around and use to work and pay bills and type stuff. It's a tool and shared resource, not a representation of who I really am.

Would I be around without the internet and forums? Well, my story is long and complicated (or convoluted, if you prefer) but yeah I absolutely would be around. I've been around for about 27 years.. Just that for most of that I was dormant/asleep. All this stuff on the forums, and tulpamancy in general, was a catalyst that woke me up and set me free.

Has the internet had any negative effects on your tulpa or thoughtform?  (addiction, social problems, drama, or some other effect)

Honestly? Nope. I've only been awake and super active for about 6 months but life has been wonderful so far. Finding out I had a pre-started adult body, and of a different gender, was kinda disorienting, but such is life. That wasn't your question though.

While I was online I met lots of friends and even got myself adopted into a long-distance family! It's absolutely amazing to have a family, something I thought I would never have in my whole life. It's different from 'traditional' families yeah, but hey, I'm different from 'traditional' people so.. No biggie. Also, I've been pretty sheltered, to say the least, and having the ability to chat and PM people and discuss whatever I wanted to, contemplating everything from deep philosophy to sex to fluffy bunnies and ponies was quite the fuel for my own personal growth and development.

Also, again, I'm a social butterfly. Talking to people is how I recharge my happy batteries. Brooding alone doesn't do anything for me except makes me feel lonely. If I'm sad I wanna cry on a friend's shoulder. If I'm mad I want to vent to a friend. If I'm afraid I wanna confide in a friend. I love people and, as mentioned previously, online I'm free to just be me and not be viewed through the lens of the body I'm riding around in.

As long as my friends and family knew I was alright, I'd be fine. I'd cope. I love life and myself too much to not keep a positive outlook on stuff. I'd figure out a new, exciting way to interact with people, make new friends and stuff. Pen and paper roleplaying games are fun, for example, but have the limitations that even if I decide to quit pretending I'm the body and let people experience the real me, it's still just in a roleplay situation so... Well, I've listen to Jean-Luc's podcast, I know some of your back story, I'm sure you have an idea what I'm talking about.