Change to current terms

Purlox

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should probably nix Wonderland while we're at it. It was Irish's attempt at coining a term, I personally find it to imply one is going down a sort of metaphorical rabbit hole by making one. Astral plane sounds too much like metaphysical fluff however, so I think something like mindscape or perhaps memory palace would be better.

I favor Dreamscape, myself, though I'd be fine with Mindscape too. Memory Palace isn't all that accurate, in a lot of cases...

As for 'deviation', it's just bordering on so many negative connotations. It's... sort of like if someone wanted to call me a 'fagess' instead of 'lesbian'. It would be technically accurate, but I wouldn't appreciate it.

All of the words are fine, and your alternatives don't seem like they'd work. Especially stuff like "hologram".

Though I agree that "tulpaforce" is the stupidest sounding term since "brony", it is still very descriptive: You are forcing your tulpa into existence.

pretty much this.

We should probably nix Wonderland while we're at it. It was Irish's attempt at coining a term, I personally find it to imply one is going down a sort of metaphorical rabbit hole by making one. Astral plane sounds too much like metaphysical fluff however, so I think something like mindscape or perhaps memory palace would be better.

+1 for mindscape

But the problem here is that most of us are already used to the old terms

We'd have to update the guides and stuff with the new ones + get used to the new ones. also new members might get confused by old threads and stuff.

I don't think it's worth the effort tbh.

Deviation

The word 'change' doesn't explain why it changes. Part of the definition of deviation includes why it happens. Using the word 'change' will confuse people and they won't know why it is happening.

Narration

I agree with this one, narration is a useless term. It also gives people the idea that they just have to narrate what is going on around them to the tulpa, which isn't fully what they are supposed to be doing.

Tulpaforcing

'Work' has a different meaning for everybody. 'Work' for somebody could just be thinking about what their tulpa. Forcing gives a clear definition of actively concentrating on personality, form, etc.

Hologram

They should be called 'hallucinations' if anything else, but holograms works just fine. There's no need to change a term just because 'I like this term better'.

Visualization

The word 'see' implies that you should be able to see the tulpa right off the bat. Visualization works just fine, thank you.

Vocalization

Again, implies that the creator should already be able to hear the tulpa.

The only one I even slightly agree with is the change of narration, and I don't even think we should change that after so many people have already gotten use to the term. Changing it now will just further confuse people during the transition between terms.

Wonderland

As for this, I was the one who originally brought up the fact that wonderland is just a fancy term Irish used for a memory palace. However, I never said that we should change it. Their uses are different. A memory palace is used to store information, while a wonderland is used to house a tulpa. I wouldn't go as far as to say that a tulpa is information. Now, I happen to use a memory palace for my tulpa, and it serves a much different function than a wonderland would. Keep wonderland a separate term.

I'd like to find better words for stuff like energy, essence, OBE, etc. Anything that can make me sound like less of a moonbat while discussing tulpas.

I disagree with pretty much everything the OP said except tulpaforcing, because it sounds stupid. I still think that it's easier to say I tulpaforced than to say I worked on my tulpa. It's also more specific. Narration is working on my tulpa, but it is not tulpaforcing.

I always assumed it was called a Wonderland because Irish's tulpa is Alice. Anyhow, I wouldn't mind changing it, but it just doesn't seem necessary. Like, is there anything wrong with calling it a Wonderland?

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Irish's tulpa is Alice from American McGee's, right?

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Alice: Madness Returns, actually.

It's the same character, Madness Returns is the sequel which happens one year later.

The point is it would make sense for him to have called it a 'wonderland' for that reason, yeah?

-Friedrich Nietzsche