Just started, have question

Frosty

To begin I will say that yes, I have read the guides. All of them. I also understand that they are vague for a reason, and that coming up with my own methods for tulpa creation is best. I have also searched "personality" and read through several pages of topics on personality.

That being said, I'm still gonna ask this question(s), redundant though they may be. I'm kinda just looking for reassurance that I'm on the right track, and possible get advice on tweaking my process.

So far I have not forced at all, I've actually resisted doing so. I know this may sound a bit silly, but I want to make sure I have a good plan laid out before I start. Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want my tulpa's personality to be. I have a general idea of what she will be like and I have listed a bunch of traits and such. I'm trying to get her personality all sorted out before I even start forcing, so when I do force, it will be productive, and I will have a clearer direction.

However, I don't really know how I'm supposed to formulate all the intricacies of her personality. Such as, how trait X and trait Y cause her to think Z and see the world in XZ way. I'm not very familiar with how certain traits and aspects of her personality should or would lead her to think this way or that, or perceive the world in this way or that. It all seems extremely complicated and intermingled, everything affecting everything else. Almost like the sum of a million tiny parts add up to equal something greater, with a multitude of possible outcomes. Like a circuit board or something.

If that sounds like a bunch of garbled crap to you, well that's because it is. My brain is all jumbled and twisted thinking about the complexity of this whole idea.

Basically, I don't want to start forcing, only to say "You are kind because...uh, well....."

Am I supposed to know how all of her traits, quirks and nuances work together to form her personality as a whole? Because I'm not sure I could successfully do that. I'm not sure anyone can. For one trait, sure. But for all of them? And not just in a linear fashion, like trait Y causes her to act in X way, but how two or more traits combine to form different outcomes and how all of her traits work together. Also, if I am supposed to know how all of the parts of her personality fit together to form the whole, and how all of them work together, what if I get it wrong, or not all of the parts of her personality are compatible?

Am I over thinking this, or is this actually as hard as I'm thinking it is? Do I have to know her whole personality, down to the smallest parts, inside out, backwards and forwards so that her thought process, behavior, world view, self image and everything is entirely mapped out?

Or if I have a pretty good idea of what her personality is like, and I have a good amount of traits and behaviors thought out, should I just go from there and the blank spots can be filled in along the way, either by me or her?

I've been kinda struggling to get her personality formed, and have been thinking a lot about what she is like, how she would think and act (in general and in specific situations) and specific traits that define her. But I'm just not sure exactly how complex the whole thing is and how specifically I am supposed to map out her personality.

So any advice would be appreciated. Right now my mind is a bit scrambled and I'm sure I sound like a babbling moron, I just wanna know if I'm over thinking this or if it really is an extremely complex process.

Also, I don't have a name for my tulpa yet. I've read that it helps, even if it isn't the name she ends up with. But choosing a name at random doesn't seem like it would help if it doesn't feel right... so should I pick something largly at random or wait until something comes to me?

Tulpa's name: April

Form: Human female

Working on: Stuff

My Progress Log

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." ~ Robert Oxton Bolton

Dude, you are clearly over thinking this :I I have a lovely tulpa and I barely worked on personality (only did 3 hours). I just told her stuff like, "oh you are kind and you like helping others and you like cute things and you are lovely :I".

Names are nice, its better than just saying "hey tulpa".

I'm not sure i have any right to reassure you about stuff, but i think it's fine even if you just have a vague idea of how your tulpa will be and let your mind fill in the blanks. Irish for example didn't do any personality at all. JD1215 didn't quite do it the way you are describing, too. I personally didn't do personality at all, getting some results nonetheless and will see how stuff goes. I guess the downside would be you have less control over your tulpa's personality, but i guess there's people who don't actually want that (or at least i don't particularly want it). Also deviation would probably occur anyway afaik.

Guest Anonymous

You're over thinking things.The whole process can (and should) be custom fit to the way you think and work. Since working in depth can make things confusing for you, just pick roughly 5-6 traits that cover her personality, and work on those. There's no need to weave an intricate web of connections for each trait if it doesn't work well with you. Both people above me barely worked on personality, while I went more in depth in personality than anyone so far by using 82 traits, and going over every single detail about them. Both extremes work equally well because the only thing that matters is if it makes sense to you.

Think of her less like a creation and more like a friend. Get to know the basic feeling of her personality, try to know her like you would one of your best friends. It's nice to know some things like motivation and such, but it's not necessary.

Most of Jaden's motivation comes from his self confidence-it allows him to be funny and nice because he's not so afraid that he is shy or afraid to do what he wants. Lukes motivation comes from a desire to make people happy, so he likes to entertain and wants to do the right thing.

But then of course some things don't line up all the way. Jaden being intelligent has very little to do with him being a nice guy. But not everything in a person will line up.

All these things are more just things to talk about during personality if you feel they need to be more fleshed out.

If they feel fleshed out and you understand your tulpa, that's all you need. It's just about getting to know them and them getting to know themselves.

We don't generally talk in traits when describing our friends. We describe them more as a whole, maybe with little examples scattered through. "He's a really easy going guy, totally funny and laid back almost all the time, but don't bring up religion or he'll go on a rant!" not in little pieces "Friendly, easy going, funny, kind, relaxed, hates religion, rants when angry, intelligent, confident."

Just get a feel for your tulpa. If a method isn't working for you, don't keep trying it. Some people enjoy fully figuring out every aspect of personality. Some never even touch it. Some do it visually, never even speaking a word about it, only seeing and 'feeling' it, some write it all down.

Don't stress. Don't overthink it too much. Just have fun.

Alright well that makes sense. I guess instead of trying to be super specific about defining her personality, I'll try to convey the general idea the best I can, so to speak.

I really like the method TulpaCouple described, or thought process about it anyway, like getting to know a friend. I think it will work better for me if I approach it that way, so thank you.

Thanks for reading my incoherent nonsense and replaying, btw. I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

My Progress Log

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." ~ Robert Oxton Bolton

Probably not all, but pretty much. I actually read that one about a half hour ago.

By the way,does anyone have links to music for forcing? Isochronic or whatever it's called? I found them last night but for the life of me I can't find them now. -_-

My Progress Log