Ashley's Lounge

Ashley

Vesper: As I've said recently, a 'person' is, to a first level approximation, a personality 'file' run by a human brain. The files aren't actually that large or complicated relative to the brain itself.

Normally a person will put up resistance to editing their own file. Even if the way it is written makes them unhappy or unproductive, there are reasons why they think the file should be written that way or it wouldn't be that way in the first place. These reasons may not be entirely clear to the person. One of the roles of a therapist is to help a person uncover why they are holding on to aspects of their personality that are making them unhappy, so that they can come to regard those reasons as insufficient justification for continuing to be unhappy and make the necessary edits to their file.

But the brain can support many personality files. A person can write a new one, and until it 'loads' for the first time, there won't be the same kind of resistance to editing it. 'I can't bring myself to be different in this way, but I can imagine another person being different.' The file that results in the end may not be much different from one that could be produced through therapy and editing, but a lot of resistance has been bypassed -- until and unless the time comes to turn the brain and life over to the new file. But if the new personality is happier and more confident, it may have advantages that lead to it displacing its predecessor. The old personality may lack the will to fight for its own existence.

Ember: Shortly after my wives "recovered" memories of being a demonic/draconic royal bodyguard in another world, they merged into a single entity, with a name and sense of identity deriving primarily from the new memories. Her personality is mainly new material, different from either predecessor. The video gamer geeks became a gym jock; the women who had mainly had online friendships for twenty years became one who was skeptical of modern technology; the polyamorists became someone who sharply trimmed her relationships; the vegetarians became a gleeful meat-eater who enjoys cracking bones and sucking out the marrow, as she imagines she once crunched the bones of her enemies. From my perspective, my wives merged with and were subsumed by a fictional character who was stronger than either of them. But before the merger became permanent, I spoke to each of them individually, and the new person was who they wanted to be, how they wanted to live.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Ember and Vesper, that helps.

It's 'fun' to think about this because I did it alone and even without the internet. I don't remember talking to anyone about it, I just did it. Your model does make a lot of sense, in that the new file didn't have to be loaded (sentient?). I remember explaining that it was like an actor playing a part, but never taking off the costume. One file merged with the other, and what resulted had many characteristics of both when it was run, but since the new programming one was stronger (preferred), it overwhelmed the weaker, making it possible to maintain dominance indefinitely.

That is cool, Ember. I use a very similar model, even for interactions with clients. All of use models, maps, paradigms, personalities, to navigate the world. When I use the model metaphor, what I am usually describing is, some verbatim, some in amore abstract manner to test for comprehension, my model for metaphors. First, I insist they 9the persons) are not broken. Our models are given to us, primarily by primary agents in the family of origin. They can't give us everything, because usually agents don't have it all, but they give us something, and eventually we start tinkering with our own models. Our models are usually very functional within their systems of origin. It's when we start to move away from these systems that we become aware that they're not so functional outside these systems.

If they get this much, I put them on a quest for new models. So, hypothetically, you can learn from fiction (If you can't read or don't like self help books) conditionally. "Good Will Hunting,' for example, is a great movie for people who experienced past abuse. Multiple characters in that movie get better. "Death Wish Three' is not a viable option for long term health. When you find the movie, the meme or metaphor, that promotes your highest good, but also sufficiently resonates with you as a human, in terms of who you are and where you want your life to go, you begin to get traction. It doesn't have to be outside stories. You can make your own stories, and as you follow your narrative you will notice themes, but eventually, once you've starred in that role enough, you begin to feel type-casted and start to branch off into variations, which is traction again! A line of variations tend to explore the periphery, and it allows movement away from origin point.

I wondered, AB, if the stronger (preferred) didn't just 'overwhelm' the weaker, but that rather, as in anything, once it's time had outlived its usefulness, it was only natural to fade back while the other took the torch.

Hi SC,

Based on the memories of Bear 1.0, it's likely never reverted. All the trouble Bear 2.0 had recently was due to traumatic loss. That's settled now.

New topic! Fun stuff.

So Bear is going to write a new book soon and maybe release it here as he writes it, since it's going to star me, Gwen, probably Uliad, and himself. Joy is delighted to act as the antagonist though it may just be adding stuff behind the scenes rather than actually playing a villianess.

We won't be acting either, we'll be ourselves in real (simulated) world situations.

Here's the kick, we want it to mean something, we want some sort of incentive for doing this. Obviously it's going to be fun just doing it, but we want something more.

Gwen's challenge was that she wasn't sure we were truly her friends, it's not like that anymore, but she still thinks she wants us to prove to her in writing, so to speak, how we would handle certain situations, and in a way prove herself too.

If anyone has any ideas for either what obstacles we might face or what we would stand to gain or lose from it, please go on and post it.

We decided that losing something permanently wasn't at all something any of us was willing to do, but gaining something would be more appropriate, but it has to be something we would want. I'm not sure how we would lose something temporarily either, but it's a possibility.

It could turn out to be a cooperative survival adventure, or competitive hunger games like thing. We don't know, it could be anything as long as it challenges us to think and have something to gain or lose.

The purpose is to get to know eachother better in possibly stressful or exciting situations, something like Breaking Point is sorta like that, where tough choices could be part of it.

[bear] I like the idea of survival, like a Himalayan plane crash, where we have to get back to safety only with the things you would have in that situation. Perhaps a 1/100 dice roll could determine when help arrives or we have to treck down to a village a hundred miles away or some other hard situation where our only advantage is our intelligence. It could end up we all fail, I want that as a possibility.

Imagine we had something real to lose or win, we might be more likely to take it seriously. This is going to likely take three to nine months to write.

We considered dice rolls for certain probabilities and we could use real world probabilities if it ever came up.

Of course our whole dialogue and one or more of our inner thoughts could also be a possibility. Or maybe a private journal system? Joy could direct the whole thing and narrate too possibly, that way we're all third person.

Ashley and Dashie will be judges and stress coaches. Imagine the possibilities.

This all came about from talk of shared wonderlands and better immersion, obviously it's just one wonderland at this point, and it'll probably be a fictitious planet that has dragonkin, and possibly avians. Should they have wings? If they do Joy will crank up the difficulty. I will be a human most likely.

And one world to control them all... The quest to unite wonderlands. Each member of the team must rediscover their wonderland of origin and connect with it in a meaningful way, not alone, but as a team. One world, Bear's, is the Bridge World that connects them. Crossing there could be by ship, by portal, by teleportation, maybe each world has it's signature entry and departure. Minor goal, establish trade and communication, discover secret or forgotten histories... Experience family drama, and discover who is accepted or isn't and how family relationships change the dyanmics... So like, hypothetically the angel's society, or the parents, aren't fond of Bear, and maybe someone has to make a choice, tradition or love... Do the POn Farr Episode! The angel's version. :)

Ultimately, you're establishing the lore of your own personal universe, the way Niven has is, or Lucas or Lewis has is, etc...

Solatchariot,

Thank you for your submission to Bear Enterprises Inc. [bE, we bring good thoughtforms to life].

We appreciate the time and effort you put into your letter and if we decide to use any of your ideas, you will be notified in 6 to 8 weeks. Please take this opportunity to visit our gift shops, on line stores, or other affiliated operations.

Remember to enter the Bear sweepstakes. Also, enter to win an autographed copy of BE's newest publication, "How to market tchotchkes to Chachi, and other rudementary merchandising chains."

Sincerely,

You're friends at BE.

OMG, Bear... I feel like I am not in the Bear Universe, the Admas Universe where the Hitchiker's Guide guy and his towel end up on the bureaucratic world... "Also, you need sign this in triplicate, and inital points one through seven, unless it's Saturday, in which case you should see amendment four, of the..."

Oh! Bear Key Chains with synchronized, flashing wings... I will take two of these. Oh, and the Monk Honey in the Bear Mason jar.

Solarchart,

We regrat to inform you that order numbr 232E7684JK7B-3246 has been held in costoms. Howver, it's a simple matter to resolve this right away. Please go to your nearet Walmart, Moneygram or Western Union and wire transfer $545.43 to Richard Yameketeheth 51 Center way Dubai. Please do this immediately or your pochase may be canceled at total loss!

Regrettably,

Richard Yameketeheth FBI US Customs Official Customer Service

Please accept this automated reply, as I am presently interacting with my new friend from Africa who works at a bank and is in the process of transferring a million dollars from a diseased relatives account to mine...

Salarchat

Your teacup pomeranians are waiting for you at your local area, but there is only one problem, they are very sick and need medical aids very quickly! Please wire the money as qe agreed as soan as popivlwjD#.

the concern breader