Ashley's Lounge

Ashley

How much has meditation played a role in your tulpamancy journey? Is that any good of a topic? For me it is foundational, and my biggest achievements were all thanks to meditation in some form.

For others, do they meditate to benefit their tulpamancy, and if so how? And are there those that don't rely on meditation at all to create their tulpa?

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TB said:

How much has meditation played a role in your tulpamancy journey?

I'm sure what I do qualifies as meditation even though it was mostly walking or laying down and included tons of visualization and conversation. I have never done, to my recollection, meditation where I don't do or say anything unless you count drawing.

With those qualifiers, a huge role.

Interesting. Yeah, meditation doesn't have to be in stillness and can be in motion. You just have to be devoting all your attention to employing some kind of technique, and there are many. Though mine involved a lot of stillness and visualization, though I've done walking as well. I've spent many hours focusing on her visual image and transferring her essence into her. Visual content can be an object of meditation. As for conversations, that usually isn't, though it is possible to meditate while doing it, it is very difficult to do so. I believe drawing can be done as a meditation though as well.

I don't consider the times I've talked to her to be meditation, though I've also done that a lot as an important part of forcing. I just had a feeling that perhaps there are some people who totally bypass and meditative ways of forcing and rely almost completely on narration.

Besides all of that, there is the option of having a non forcing meditation practice to prime your mind to be better suited to performing other forcing techniques, which is also a lot of what I've done.

I'm glad it's played a huge role for you. I personally think it is better to have than to not have, but that is just my opinion.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

If we call meditation any time you're basically sitting and focusing your attention inwards, then meditation is when all the best "active forcing" happens. Best conversations, too. Best visualizing, best ideas of what to do together, just best moments together overall.

I should really figure out how to get past my crippling laziness and spend more time with my tulpas. Really.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I agree. I think focusing inward is really where you have to do the main work in my experience. Though lately I've mostly relied on just talking to her while doing other things and trying to involve her in it, but I should probably go back to doing the other things too. I use to do what I think was called image streaming, or something, a lot with her, that I learned from someone called linkzelda I think. That is where we had our fight with Gogeta lol, and most of our other wonderland adventures. I miss doing that, but I can empathize with your laziness.

When I wrote this question I originally was referring to any kind of Buddhist technique of meditation, or maybe other cultures as well though I don't know as much about it. As a loose definition, I think that basically means making a deliberate decision on what is considered a distraction and what isn't, and focusing only on what isn't a distraction, and when a distraction comes up, redirect attention back away from the distraction to what you should be focusing on (not the same as pushing it away), typically the thing being focused on having a narrow scope, though not always. This might not be a perfect definition but it pretty much sums up all meditation techniques I do under that category.

Meditation has other definitions too though, involving just being introspective and thinking about things. Like how Marcus Aurelius uses the word I think.

All of these forms that have been talked about so far are valid and seem to yield everyone the results they are satisfied with. I personally have an instinct that the Buddhist variety however will eventually lead to the ultimate goals, but I still have a looooong way to go before I reach that and find out if it is true for myself. It's my biggest hope.

And good luck with your laziness problem. One of my friends has that, and it causes them a lot of suffering, so I hope you are handling it better than they are. It's hard for me to give advice for, because it usually consists of a list of things to do, which seems counterproductive when the problem is inability to will oneself to do things. Just basic things like eating right, exercising, and meditation is what usually drastically lessens it for me, but I'm sure you know and have tried that, and it is in category of vicious cycle. Though my laziness is selective. There are many things that nothing in the world can motivate me to do them. If any of you saw what my room looks like, you'd all probably want to institutionalize me or something.

Thank you for your input!

Edited by TB

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

The best thing about 'meditation' for me, especially laying down, is when hypnagogic kicks in or just a relaxed state and if I don't fall asleep, I get really good free interaction with my headmates that is extremely satisfying. It's not that visualization isn't, it's that it takes effort. When you think of lucid dreams, it's effortless. Though I find it annoying because dream logic is annoying. Hypnagogic is better but it doesn't keep me awake. So visualization is still the best. I wouldn't stop it for an instant, it does take effort though. I can see that if you don't want effort or if it took a lot of effort, then you just wouldn't. What I get out of it is way more than I put in.

Digression: It's just interesting to see what hypnagogic or other deeper meditative states will throw at us. It's randomness is often funny and we'll sit and watch it, commenting on the weird stuff, then like last night, suddenly we're locked in. I spent time with Aleshe, the all in one lock-merge that my headmates like to play around in and that was fun, she spoke in imposed audio with me a little and thats always interesting. I can't say enough about the benefits of lock-merge, anyway...

Hypnagogia is fun, though I've only been able to do it a few times and it is uncontrollable. What isn't fun is getting stuck in horrifying sleep paralysis where you're violated by monsters and floating ghost girls fly at me at high speeds to start stabbing me in the chest with knives, feeling it all and waking up screaming. That's just the surface level pain sleep paralysis can cause though. There are worse things.

I plan to improve my visualization a lot better soon. A new friend I made is going to show me a meditation technique to do it. I hope it works out well.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

Luckily I can't say I've ever experienced anything but a very slightly frightening dream-like sleep paralysis, and even then it was easy to just roll over and break out of it. The last time it happened, I saw flashing lights, i started to open my mouth to gasp and... 'wait a minute, I can't move my jaw. I must be dreaming yet I'm still awake. Let me just move.' Done.

I, ideosyncratically, define meditation as focus on the process. I have been a meditator for decades. I do not think that I could have created my tulpas had I not. It has given me the ability to be still and  let them come to me. Dr. Bob