Ashley's Lounge

Ashley

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only Rafé I've known besides Bre was this kid I used to sit with on the bus. His English was passable for school but not really native-level, so he wasn't very popular. He also was just kinda just slow, not a big amount, just took him a while to think. He wrote fanfiction and I would read it and help him with stuff, I heaped it with praise though and I think he really liked it. I convinced him to give the female characters a bit more volition and a little less fanservice and to describe literally anything else about them besides hair style, eye color, and boob size. 

He had a big silver scar smack in the middle of his forehead, like the length of a thumb. One day he told me

his father dropped him down the stairs when he was four months old.

I wasn't told if that was intentional or not, but I never heard a word about Rafé's father outside of that. He seemed to be at peace with it, though, he didn't really seem to care, though he also didn't really advertise it ofc, that he was literally

dropped on the head as a baby.

Just last year he emailed me a new fanfiction and asked me to review it. I did not, but I do think about him sometimes. Someone whose chances in life were altered by a force outside of his control, but he didn't seem torn up over it. 

That's just what I always think of when I hear your system call Bre Rafé. -J

edit: Snails have a good sense of fashion - C

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Welcome back DeterminedSOULS! Nice to meet you. ♡

EDIT:

The new topic for today is: postmodernist architecture and its effect of the psyche of gen Z.

You've all seen these hideous industrial square bricks they call architecture nowadays. Contrast that to the awe inspiring gothic architecture, the great cathedrals of Europe. You see these monsterous all glass or all concrete blocks and you think, why? Why? Where's the art form?

I believe we've taken the taming of nature way too far. Gen Z is growing up in cookie cutter hovels with no descernable style separate from a shoebox, no warmth outside of an ice block and no love greater than what is capable of pummice stone. Will they rebel? Will we see the next generation of architecture mimic nature? Or will we be sleeping directly on steel girders next? This will no doubt have its effect. Only time will tell.

(No Space engineers today, they worked on the drawing)

as a zoomer myself, I really hate a lot of these new buildings popping up. architecture has really been undervalued in recent times, people keep building uglier buildings that are only meant to last as long as the owner lives. this is the result of building when you are only worried about how to save as much money as possible.

I predict that zoomer architects will try to incorporate as much plant life into buildings as possible, partially as a rebelion against post modern architecture, and partially to combat global warming which will only become more of an issue for zoomers

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

It comes and goes. Pretty much every campus has a building that's a giant concrete box, my mom tells me, because it was a big fad. Maybe they looked impressive then, but now they're covered with dried gum and corroded where the rainwater collects. 

Every company is changing their logo to something smooth and vector-looking. Google was the big one, we made lots of memes about how stupid and overly simplified it looked, and then we got used to it. 250x423https://dailylolpics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Googles-logo-plans.jpg[/img]

So long as we think the future looks like smooth glass planes and aerodynamic curves, which also tend to be cheaper and eaiser to mass-produce than meaningful detail, that's what it'll look like. 

I think there is a counter-culture forming, but literally everyone I've ever spoken to about it has told me strongly that they believe it'll fail. Retro movements like the popularity of polaroid cameras and vinyl prove to me that the desire is there. Soooo many teens have told me about how they wish their relationship with tech was different. 

Unfortunately, these teens... generally are tech-addicted and I can't blame us. So many times, now: people only want to contact me through SnapChat. I don't have a SnapChat and I don't want one. I KNOW I've missed out on social chances because it all happened via social media. Social media is how you make and keep friends and it's how you stay up to date with the culture. All my friends at school started saying "vibe check" and "boomers." It'll be something new in a month. I used to have iFunny solely so I could see the same memes as my friend, I didn't even think they were funny. I wrote "f*ck iFunny" in my sketchbook :P  During lunch, he didn't want to talk, just look at memes. 

I had to download GroupMe in order to be in the group chats for game club and my church. Otherwise I wouldn't know when things happen. My mom has an app on her phone that she gets school alerts through. 

I think you're most likely to see things get worse before they get better, but I think they will get better. I'm waiting for some big study/book to come out showing the harm of tech, not because I think tech is evil, but because I think humanitiy's relationship with it needs an overhaul. I'm waiting for schools to ban cell phones.

In terms of design... I don't know. Complexity costs money. If we can paint some plastic a "trendy" shade of pink and it sells, it sells. The trends are set by "social media influencers." It becomes a loop. The styles that are popular are the styles that are convientent to produce right now. 

I wonder if the US will enter a war in my lifetime, and how that might effect culture. -J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Schools did ban cell phones, my school did, abd the teacher would take anyone's phoneshe saw and your parents would have to retrieve it. However, the cellphone activities and sympathizers successfully lobbied culture to believe they were 'for safety'. With the rash of school shootings on the rise, there's no chance of reversing that now.

Post modern architecture will decay and die like the fad it was. No one cares if an ugly building is in disrepair, few historical societies will lobby to have a cheaply made ugly building turned into a historic landmark. It'll get replaced like the 80's and idealized only pejoratively and derisively.