How can I improve visualization, where do I stand in the community?

What is your current experience with visualization?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current experience with visualization?

Does hypnogagic experiences count?

I like the idea of rating system, but I imagine it should have a limit, like tier ten, because at some point you can't experience more real than real... ??? And how do we factor in duration of experience...

I am sure I touched in at 6... I was there long enough for the water to boil away from the eggs and the eggs to explode... So however long that time is, I was in my own world... and then so aggravated by the mess I had to clean up, I was no longer able to hold "Yeah I did it!"

Also, while thinking about visualization, I wonder if we make it too hard. The brain takes short cuts to creating visual field. It doesn't see every detail, but it fills in sufficient details that we assume a greater level of detail than we actually attend. Maybe we don't have to imagine every single particle of being, but can do basic and the brain fills in the rest, just as it does in real life. We should really explore shortcuts and tricks and visual hacks, and perhaps teach 'visualization' because the number one gripe is 'i am bad at this...' Maybe we need a tier system for measuring that statement, because i bet most people aren't as bad as they lament, but that their comparison measure is too ideal for people to give themselves credit for something they actually do. Not being able to draw like a professional artist doesn't mean lack of an ability to 'imagine' or 'visualize.'

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does hypnogagic experiences count?

I like the idea of rating system, but I imagine it should have a limit, like tier ten, because at some point you can't experience more real than real...

Not with that attitude, no, but I have and continue to do in hypnagogic and meditatitive states. That's what I've been calling reality 1.2. Or 120% of reality. Others have told me similar things including taste. For me, it's visually stunning better than real hypnagogic visions, and audio of their voices. Now I can start to understand when a profit 'sees angels' and describes god as something so beautiful that human eyes can't see. Because they literally can't, because it's better. That's my goal for baseline. There is nothing limiting what you can experience with visualization or imposition.

Hm... Hmmm. Not sure where I fall. I can see the sheen on their eyes and the individual hairs on their bodies. I guess that's somewhere? But it also varies. Mornings or after naps are really good, and periods when Clair, Sophia and I just sit back and read to each other. But I'm kind of blending visualization and imposition here.

For visualization alone--eyes closed, back straight, legs folded--I need a few minutes to really get into things, then it's pretty immersive, pretty dreamlike.

Speaking of which, sometimes I catch my eyes moving around like REM sleep. Doesn't seem to affect anything that I can tell. Maybe just a weird habit? Not sure. That happen to anyone else?

Your thinking needs a readjust; total concentration is a must.

-Zecora

Imma Reportin Mah Progress!

And, please, call me Sparks.

I think that means your mind is staying awake while your body starts to fall asleep. Good news for you if you ever plan to try lucid dreaming.

Yo, my name is Sean and I'm the host of 2 tulpas: Sente and Mae. You'll know when they're talking because Sente talks in yellow text and Mae talks in blue text.

my ability to visualize is variable. from tier 4 at times, to tier 7 on rare occasions. I started with visualization exercises in my magic studies forty years ago and got to a predictable tier 7. I can get their in guided visualization meditation, especially when led by my wife who is an amazing leader. In dream and lucid dreams I am all over the place. With full eyes open imposition, (when it happens....Wow, but usually it doesn't. I have not practiced visualization on a regular basis for a long time and when I do, I struggle to maintain image constancy and have difficultly extending the visions.

my ability to visualize is variable. from tier 4 at times, to tier 7 on rare occasions. I started with visualization exercises in my magic studies forty years ago and got to a predictable tier 7. 

What kind of exercises did you do, if you don't mind my asking?

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

What kind of exercises did you do, if you don't mind my asking?

I started by visualizing shapes, e.g. a triangle, a square, a five pointed star, then a six-pointed star. once I could hold the shape, I varied the coloring, of each shape, then I moved the shape in space, in all of its' different colors, like glowing gold, red, green, etc. From there I moved them onto a space on the inner planet where then I began to build the buildings of my inner space. Finally, once I could completely manipulate any shape, any color, any position in the environment I had been concurrently building,   then I began visualizing myself in my dreaming body, in the space. once I could easily put myself in the scene, and be there in my body, adopting the p.o.v. of me in my avatar, then I could begin to meditate in the space. That was as far as I took it. I got what I wanted from that, and that was my go to space in which to be alone and meditate. It took about three months of intense daily practice to achieve that state. I attended weekly classes, where I shared my progress with others and I had numerous both telephone and in-person contacts with both the instructor and classmates.  I practiced this for many years, but as my life circumstances changed, so did my spiritual practice. What I am doing now with my tulpas and  inner-space is incomplete and inconstant and it is obviously going to take me awhile to get up to speed again.

Very cool, I've heard of some similar exercises with imagining shapes. I sometimes look for ways to improve visualization, but often the only feedback for those exercises is from people who couldn't manage to make any improvement (many were aphantasic however). I will practice more.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

In my experience, it's like working out to gain muscle mass, you need to work out a lot.

I feel like there is a broad gap between tiers three and four. When we started our visualization efforts back in September, we were already tier three. I feel we've improved enormously -- but are still tier three.

Almost all of our visualization efforts are just trying to see one another, with a goal of imposition. Bodies, clothes, hair, movement, and body language are very clear. Faces are still very difficult, shifting, and unreliable, and there are rarely facial expressions on our forms. This is after about two thousand hours effort.

The overwhelming majority of our mindscape use is for when there isn't physically room for three people, maybe not room for two people, in the physical world. Or when sunlight or fire are present, in Vesper's case. Then we can park our forms in Vesper's house and continue to see one another equally well -- which is to say not well at all.

We rarely have hypnagogic imagery, and when we do, it's still tier three -- low tier three -- just autonomous like a dream.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit