How can I improve visualization, where do I stand in the community?

What is your current experience with visualization?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current experience with visualization?

I have issues with imagination. I can't say what it is. I've experienced it being a sensation of realer than real, but normally, it "looks real", but I can't explain it perfectly. Talking to a drawing mentor, I learned that with imagination, a lot of it is an impression of seeing. So it is basically a trick. It can truly feel like one is seeing something, but they aren't. If they were, it would be easy to draw anything by copying it, but I can't draw my characters, or draw anything I want. It requires knowledge. I can experience "lifelike" imagination without knowledge, but when critically analyzed, I realize it is just an impression of seeing and not "truly" seeing. I don't know how to explain this concept well.

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only need to see a dog a few times before you know what a dog looks like enough to draw all the major parts, 5-year-olds do it. Seeing your tulpas in dreams, getting good glimpses in wonderland, hypnagogic, meditation, these all add up and you eventually have a really good idea what they look like. I have a hard time drawing anything completely without a few references. I can draw the parts pretty well, I didn't need references for Ren's nose, fingers, mouth, teeth, but I did need a reference for lighting, shading, minor details, clothes, hair, tail, and a few other details. I could probably now re-draw her without the references, spending that much time on her burned her image into my memory. We really spent a lot of time together scrutinizing her look vs the references. Her look isn't like any reference, Misha was the same, but her hair is pretty unique by the end. I am free to 'mess up' proportion, scale, shading, the randomness of the curls, and she turned out beautifully. Of course Misha co-drew in both cases.

My point is, yes, when you can see them enough, they become pretty consistent, enough so that you could draw them, assuming you know how to draw typical things. The difference between beauty and plain is a few millimeters. I always draw them from how they look, yet every one suffers from our ability to be perfectly consistent, but we're getting way better, especially when we take our time.

Being able to visualize well doesn't mean that you can draw well. Drawing doesn't just take knowing what to draw, you also have to be able to actually draw the right lines in the right ways, that takes practice and is a skill separate from visualisation

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I mean, if I look at a drawing and try to copy the lines, I can come up with something that looks similar to what I'm looking at. I think most people will find the same. Though trying the same thing with an image developed by the mind doesn't end in the same results, even if it feels like looking at an image in your head.

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

For us, it's just a matter of finding enough good references that sort of match your tulpa, then you adjust it. My point was, Misha and I have drawn enough noses not to really need nose references anymore for example, but references atill help fir scale and subtle things.

• 10 months later...

My ability to visualize is compromised by my wandering mind, and volatile emotions. I have had episodes of full visual imposition with both my tulpas. They were in my external reality and fully revealed. They persisted until they made contact with me. Then disappeared back into the ether. Dr. Bob

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I reported what I was. Then I found this today and admit that all the checkboxes listed are trivial to me at this point.

So perhaps I may have hyperphantasia. Probably it wasn't so hyper in April 2018, but still most of those checkboxes.

I still say I'm not tier seven as I defined it in OP, but somewhere between six and seven. 

I also still think it can be trained with lots of practice because I did that and it markedly improved.