Future of upgrades and forum software

Pleeb

What do YOU think we should do? (please read post first)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU think we should do? (please read post first)

• Dumbed down MyBB instance
    • New Forum Software
    • Leave it be!

Honestly, yeah, you could get rid of the game section and I wouldn't shed any tears. -J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

I certainly don't feel qualified to say which we should do. But, half of those plugins did seem kind of useless. On my end of the decision making, I'm just thinking it's a matter of future costs versus future updates - and whether money or the forum breaking/becoming vulnerable is a bigger deal for longevity, and I'm leaning towards money being easier to deal with in a many-years perspective.

But I have no idea what's up with "converting the forum" - if we don't keep our entire archive of threads, their ability to still be posted in years later, existing links to threads and post #s continuing to function, avatars and signatures and what not - any one of those being missing sort of makes changing the forum not an option. On the MyBB side, the only real deal breakers are avatars/etc. not being where they are now, and the theme not being dark gray and blue. Account Switcher could go missing for a month or two if necessary, but obviously not for too long, it's still a necessary feature but if we just had to wait a month for it to update (if we can even be sure of that) then I wouldn't mind.

(I know we didn't have an account switcher for years, but those years also warranted my "Tulpa Week" threads to encourage tulpas to say anything at all - the community these days is a much fairer split of tulpas and hosts, and I think the account switcher is more necessary than ever)

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

A lot of those plug-ins are for moderation and spam prevention! If those were gone, moderation abilities would be effected and spam could be far more of a nuisance. Remember when the can't post a link before 10 posts plug-in wasn't working that one day? Suddenly 3 spam bots emerged that we had to can. That's only the failure of one spam plug in, imagine if half of them stopped working one day...

For the most part, those plug-ins are actually pretty important.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Yeah, I meant half of them as in 50%. But some of the spam plug-ins are probably redundant on a paid premium forum software. If I didn't read incorrectly, it sounded like we had to pay "$20" for an account switcher plugin with Invision? That makes me question how much actually comes with that software, and if they aren't just trying to bleed you dry for a functioning forum. And if that's a recurring fee and not one-time, forget it.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• 3 weeks later...

After testing out Invision Power Board, I think that's going to be the way forward. I spoke with their sales team, and they feel confident that the migration would be straightforward (you'll probably have to re-link your accounts). Even better, it's GDPR Compliant, uses a secure method for storing passwords (MyBB's still uses MD5), and seems to include much of what our plugins currently do naively. Turning the vanilla theme dark seems pretty straightforward; it's very responsive on every device too.

When we do that, we're also going to migrate to a new server with a different operating system with PHP7 and proper SSL (right now we just use cloudflare). I'm hoping to get this moving in Aug, and will be writing an announcement within the next couple days / weeks with details and probably an FAQ if you have any questions.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png