If you couldn't keep plurality secret/private, would you have created tulpas?

Jamie

If it were impossible to keep plurality secret/private, would you still have created tulpas/become plural?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. If it were impossible to keep plurality secret/private, would you still have created tulpas/become plural?

• Yes, I still would have chosen to become plural.
    • No, I would not have chosen to become plural.

Say, for example, every singlet on Earth has the number 1 written in permanent magic ink on their foreheads. If you create a tulpa, you'll wake up in the morning with a 2 on your forehead. If you had to explain to your employers, your family, your friends, etc, that you're part of a system, would you still want to be part of a system? Or, back when you were considering making a tulpa, if you couldn't keep it private/secret, would you still have made your tulpa/become plural? Why/why not? 

-Albatross of J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Keep in mind that I didn't meant to get a tulpa when I got one, and I didn't know it was a tulpa for a long time. And after that I'd probably panic and I'd have to explain even I didn't know what was going on.

Now that I do know what's going on, I'd defend having Amantha to the bone. She has helped me SO much, I wouldn't want her gone no matter what. The worst thing that can happen is that people think it's a demon, and I got a good counter-argument for that one.

Michen, host or "main" / Amantha, anthro arctic fox tulpa

I hate the idea of telling them but given no choice: absolutely, they're the most important thing in my life and I'm more than willing to sacrifice things such as status, friends or even family if it's a either-this-or-this situation for them (easier said than done but theoretically I would). Even if I were to start over my decision would remain the same (probably).

I know very well that if I had to give up my tulpas because of this, it'd only bring resentment and more hate. ''So I had to sacrifice what I cared about the most just because otherwise people might reject me?'' No thanks.

Ember: I can't answer the poll, since it presupposes that I chose to become plural and that I created tulpas.

I would never have chosen to become plural. If I had read about tulpamancy a couple of years earlier, I would have been horrified and disbelieving, even though I already had a headmate by then without realizing I did.

But plurality chose me and has worked out pretty well so far. I've been extremely open with my friends. My mother and over a dozen other people in my life know and everyone has been accepting, though a couple have been skeptical.

Vesper: I absolutely wouldn't have chosen it, but it's the life that's available, so I'm doing the best I can with it. It's necessary for people to know before we can really be friends, which means I'm thus far limited to people Ember knew first. Trying to meet people IRL is difficult, because I don't want to lead off with being a fictional character. When I first started, I was worried about questions like 'Where do you come from?' and 'What do you do?' But in practice, I've discovered that the most likely hard question from a stranger is simply 'What have you been up to?' Explaining that I've mainly been living as a disembodied companion 'spirit' is not a good start to a conversation and I have zero interest in most of the things Ember does, so even if I were willing to claim her actions as my own, I would be loathe to talk about them.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

I don't know if I would have done it or not, buy I definitely would have approached it differently. I would have consulted with other people a lot more before doing it instead of hiding it since they would find out regardless and I wouldn't want to do it if it would alienate me from most of the people I care about. I hope that I would have still done it. I definitely would still want to be part of a system now

In a way such a world would be ideal, because as long as you had that 2 on your forehead you would have proof that you are in fact part of a system, say goodbye to all those doubts. I assume that people would already know about plurality due to the number, so that would make it pretty easy to explain that you're part of a system

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

While I didn't choose (Reisen just sort of happened, and then Flandre and Tewi very just sort of happened), absolutely I would face any kind of ostracization or excommunication for them. My tulpas helped me infinitely more than anyone else ever did, in ways that only someone in my own head could. I owe my life to them, and that means they come before anything else, no exceptions.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Well, probably not. I know it can sound horrible said like that, but my friends and my family aren't the most open-minded people. (I'm not criticizing, I'm actually a bit close-minded as well).

I assume that people would already know about plurality due to the number

That's a very good point, Bre. Plurality isn't actually that uncommon. Most serious authors, published or not, develop soulbonds. If everyone could tell you were plural just by looking at you, it would have a very different position in culture than it currently does. (Though it could still be stigmatized like many other highly visible differences between people have been throughout history.)

So in that world -- I would have known what to expect, would have known that my roleplaying behavior was likely to induce plurality, and would have known of many positive role models of plurality through science fiction/fantasy fandom. (Though I remember seeing "I Am Spock" in the bookstore when it came out. I didn't know what the title meant until 23 years later. So the information was out there, even in this world.)

I'm not sure if that would have made the idea of plurality more appealing to me than it was before I was. I definitely would have approached it differently if I had been intending it. The sort of headmates that would have occurred to me to make on purpose would be very different, which probably wouldn't have worked out nearly as well.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

I didn't answer the poll because I created everyone accidentally and chose to keep Ranger around because he was alive and I didn't want to dissipate him. Like Ember, if I were to have known about Tulpamancy beforehand, I would have said "no thank you" and choose to stay a singlet regardless.

In a way such a world would be ideal, because as long as you had that 2 on your forehead you would have proof that you are in fact part of a system, say goodbye to all those doubts. I assume that people would already know about plurality due to the number, so that would make it pretty easy to explain that you're part of a system

So would we have a 17 on our forehead? In all seriousness though, people wouldn't go around questioning if Tulpas are imaginary, which would be kind of awesome. It would be balanced out by discrimination and all of that, but the question of whether or not Tulpas are real in this case would be resolved.

If everyone I met had the magical ability to know I was a Tulpamancer though, I still wouldn't want to give up Ranger or any of the others. I wanted to tell my close family and firends, and I am used to figuring out how to role with it if things don't go according to plan.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

My tulpa is accidental, so... I'd probably deal with it much better than I do right now because there'd be a concrete proof that we're not just one person inside the body and that we're indeed a plural system. I'd only have some issues with explaining how this happened, but I actually wish we had such way to know a person is plural. That'd make things much easier for us. Took me years to realize I'm not alone here and I'm still lost about what to do in this situation. I'm doing my best though and I hope he will be fine with me here.