Birth Order Effect in Tulpas

Piano Soul

Daily thread #3: The Birth Order Effect

[align=justify]I'm sure you've all heard of the Birth Order Effect, a theory that the birth order of children will influence their personality. I think there is some legitimacy to this theory, but it really depends on the child and the family, and probably isn't as strong as some people think it is. But, I'm not here to talk about how it affects children, rather to see if anyone might suspect that it affects the way tulpas' personalities develop.

Obviously, a tulpa developing is a very different situation from a child growing up, so it's not going to be the same thing, but I kind of do think there may be something to be said about it. 

In our system, Apollo tends to take more initiative, he's our de-facto "leader" for if we ever need that. He's seen as the one who should take charge when needed, lead the way for the rest of us. He is the "first child."

Luxio and I are more quiet, laid back. We tend to do what's right to keep things going to way they should in our own head and outside of it, like resolving conflict, but we're not as initiative-driven as Apollo is. We're the "middle children." Luxio used to be a "last child," but his personality changed a lot after he was in stasis for so long, so he's more like me but with some "last child" personality as well.

Indigo is the more fun-loving, excitable type. He doesn't have as many qualms with being silly, as long as it's the appropriate time for it. He has a more free spirit, he doesn't care as much about fitting in with the rest of us in our in-head norms. He's the "last child."

Now, for us, while birth order might have an influence on our personalities, but I can also point to specific events in our developments that shaped how our personalities turned out. So, for us, it's likely a mixture of the birth order and many other variables and events that led to us developing as we did, kind of like for singlets/hosts! Who knew?

Anyway, do you see the "Birth Order Effect" influencing how your tulpas (or you, if you are a tulpa) turned out?[/align]

300x450https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/21/70/e421704b0d1fff7defbd0d0a1f6f7b80.jpg[/img]

(All daily threads are listed here.)

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

Ember: So in this scenario, is the host the parent? The host's level of involvement in the system would seem to me to have a greater impact on tulpa personalties, leadership roles, stress levels, etc. than creation order would.

Vesper: The matter is extremely scrambled for us. My personality was set long before I came to this world, so any birth order effects would be due to being the eldest of three children back home. And I have often been described by Ember as bossy, responsible, motivated, conscientious, controlling, cautious, and reliable, so I suppose I fit the stereotype. I've been fending off being declared "the boss" for the past eight months. I tend to come across as older than Ember, an only child, but I also feel older.

Iris: I was raised back home as the younger of a pair, though I was firstborn of my birth family. Due to differing time flow, when I reconnected with them as an adult, I was the middle child.

My this world situation is similarly muddled. I was the first character to ever speak to Ember, but by the time I became a daily part of system life, Ember and Vesper had been constant companions for seventeen months.

None of the stereotypical descriptors seem particularly applicable to me.

Vesper: Many studies have shown that birth order has near-zero actual effects on personality in singletons. However:

In their book Sibling Relationships: Their Nature and Significance across the Lifespan, Michael E. Lamb and Brian Sutton-Smith argue that as individuals continually adjust to competing demands of socialization agents and biological tendencies, any effects of birth order may be eliminated, reinforced, or altered by later experiences.

Tulpa families probably interact much more intensively on average than conventional families, with higher levels of internal than external interactions maintained throughout life. Conjecturally, the external socialization influences that neutralize birth order effects in singletons may be much less significant, potentially leading to a higher percentage of systems with stereotypical family dynamics. However, the large number of in-system romantic relationships adds disruptive effects that would not usually be present among physical siblings.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Host involvement might be part of it? But that doesn't really apply to us all that much, considering we're a way more tulpa-led than host-led system. More like our perceptions of ourselves and each other based on who's oldest/youngest plays a part, or the roles we've given ourselves based on when we appeared in the system. It's complicated, definitely more than one variable in something like this.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

I do wonder if this would apply to a system who made tulpas, on purpose, at least a few months apart, that weren't based on characters. As for us, well. I think every single checkbox is a miss here, except some of last-born, which I'm sure is coincidence. But my tulpas weren't really personalities that formed entirely from scratch, they were based on how I thought of the characters they're based on, so.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Does seem to apply somewhat to our system. Azure acts sort of like a first child, Damien and Jade like middle children most of the time, but still bordering a bit on first child, Spark is a bit like the middle, and Torea like the last child. Although technically Torea is a whole month older than Spark. I think I fit closest to the only child category, which makes sense because we have no siblings outside of our system.

Of course this is the case. It's very obvious that the extra influence will very likely be a factor on someone's personality. These changes are, of course, hard to pinpoint, simply due to the fact that you can never properly have a control group, but that people influence and change each other should clear as day. I wouldn't even call that a theory, it's just a fact.

The exact same goes for tulpas, since most of them seem to behave like humans to some extent. I have two of them; do I know how the second would change if the first was not around? No, nor will I ever know. Do I know if them being together had an influence of both their personalities? Beyond reasonable doubt.