Choosing a Tulpa's Gender

Dynamo Lux

The only trend generalization I can somewhat rely on is the male Host female Tulpa stereotype. If the Host is female, then the Tulpa's gender is more 50/50 apparently, but that I got from the data rather than any deduction skills.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd include any straying from "cis-gender" in that general trend instead of just saying trans, because then it applies to.. quite a few people. That being said, trend or not it feels like a gross (over)statement. It's certainly more like 60%-40% than a large majority or something.

Same-gendered tulpas are rarer in straight, cis-host systems, yes. There is a trend in my many years of experience. Still, I've seen plenty of apparently straight/cis hosts with same-gendered tulpas. Statistically significant trend, but by no means a rule.

Survey statistics are good.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Yeah, actual survey data would be better than my mental heuristic, which is susceptible to confirmation bias and all that. I'm not attached to this trend theory, and if it's smaller than it feels like, I'd be glad. In the end whatever genders end up in a system, it just is what it is.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

Said it before, and I'll say it again: if your tulpa isn't of a gender you're attracted to, then you're (both) missing out. I don't think mine would have it any other way, and I sure wouldn't either.

• 8 months later...

Gender discussions from Cbox

Copy pasted from what I said over there:

*I can think of one big reason why we seem to gravitate to certain gender and that is dreading our own social circles with same gender as our body, the social games etc

*I like to think gender doesn't actually matter but it seem to actually do a bit. Experiences in the past seem to contribute a lot to these things and it can be anyhow

*Having bad experiences might lead to the brain dreading it, like wanting see itself as anything but that

I'll say what I said there too, I don't know if someone already mentioned it but here it goes:

We were mostly talking about why tulpas tend to go for a certain gender (usually the host's preferred gender). One of the reasons I thought of was that the person is surrounded by a certain gender, so in the brain it is the ''normal'' (''everyone i'm friends with in real life is a female, so it's natural for me to be around females''). Or the opposite case, ''I hang around females in real life, I don't want to do the same in my head too''. Some things seem to be universal for everyone in the system, like deep rooted in the brain. So if the host likes a certain gender, it's possible the tulpa will follow.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Nora and Stripes are both female because that's what their original characters were.

Lusus picked his own name, form, and gender; technically, he's genderless, but after cycling through various pronouns, he liked he/him the most. Sometimes he'll go by it, but that's pretty rare.

I'm guilty of the male host / female tulpa cliché 😆. I wouldn't want to have it any other way. Of course, if Simmie was absolutely determined to be male I would not stop her, but she is very much happy with being female. She's straight too--I used to think Simmie was bisexual but Simmie told me she's not really into girls in that way. (The character Simmie was based off of is bisexual, hence the holdover). Some may wonder if its awkward as a straight male to have a person in my head that is attracted to men, but it's actually completely fine and not a problem at all. Though with gender I tend to see Simmie and I as the yin and yang symbol; there's a little bit of the masculine in her and the feminine in me.

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.