Altered Memories/Perceptions

Apollo Fire

Daily thread #21

[align=justify]This is something we notice sometimes, and it's interesting. Do you ever find moments where you can't remember something, or you remember something incorrectly, as a result of your plurality? This isn't stuff like full-on amnesia or the kind of memory loss disordered plurality would have, but more so like "I feel as though my tulpa was in my past memories even though I know he wasn't." Stuff that is more interesting than damaging/negative.

For us, we recently figured out that we can't remember the 1-2 months where our host forgot about us (and we can't even remember how long it was) at all. We can only remember small snippets of it, mostly moments where myself or Indigo became active again. It's almost like our brain just doesn't care to remember the time when we weren't around and host was just going through the motions. 

Another thing that's quite common is that when a tulpa returns to our system, memories of when they weren't there seem to have them there. Luxio might say "we" even though he was in stasis when talking about a past event, feeling as though he was a part of it even though he knows he wasn't. 

And finally, when a tulpa does go into more long-term dormancy, the other tulpas might forget about them more easily, but mostly just when asked about the system--they'll naturally leave out the dormant one despite not trying to. Nobody takes breaks from the system anymore though so we don't experience this much.

So for us, it's mostly retroactive memories that get altered, rather than day-to-day ones.

(All daily threads are listed here.)[/align]

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

I can't say we remember things 'incorrectly'. We trust memories and experience. We write things down when they're fresh; this isn't infallible, but it's admissible in court. Experience, belief and trust of your head mates are the basis of tulpamancy. I feel this question "...remember something incorrectly, as a result of your plurality?" is biased. Unless you specifically have documented evidence that directly opposes your memory, you have to trust your memories.

Tulpamancy is about belief, don't go tearing down things unless you have direct physical evidence (such as in a diary or journal). Memories can be falsified, changed and damaged. We used this as a means to help remove some of my past trauma and continue to do so. But if you only have a memory of believing a certain way, then new memories that it was wrong, that's simply changing your opinion based on your new beliefs. The memories were still valid at the time. If you have new memories of things that you didn't have before, it could just as easily be remembering things you haven't thought of before, so saying "incorrectly" is biased.

I don't know how you would say "I feel as though my tulpa was in my past memories even though I know he wasn't." since memories are just as possibly invalid now as they were then in that context. At this point, it would be a matter of choice as to what to believe.

[align=justify]Do you ever find moments where you can't remember something, or you remember something incorrectly, as a result of your plurality? ... For us, we recently figured out that we can't remember the 1-2 months where our host forgot about us (and we can't even remember how long it was) at all. We can only remember small snippets of it, mostly moments where myself or Indigo became active again.

Another thing that's quite common is that when a tulpa returns to our system, memories of when they weren't there seem to have them there. Luxio might say "we" even though he was in stasis when talking about a past event, feeling as though he was a part of it even though he knows he wasn't.[/align]

weird, your guys' experience is kinda opposite ours. We always remember everything no matter who made the memory (though we can usually tell based on how the memories feel who actually made them) and our memory is very good overall... but then also, we don't feel like we were there for times where we weren't. Well, that's mostly just me! Scarlet also didn't feel like she was there at all for however long she was gone (apparently-not-permanently dissipated), but yeah it's pretty obvious when I think of memories pre-2015 that I wasn't there for them

might still say we just because I'm 1/5 of our system at best when talking about old stuff, but if it's specifically about us/who was there I exclude myself pretty consistently I'd say

(outside of .info/outside of speaking as ourselves, we're all very used to switching to "I" and "me" for talking to friends/in public, it's pretty natural for me to say "I loved Toy Story as a kid" when we're in speaking-as-Lumi mode, but it still feels super weird to write that here)

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

The thing is is that Radio can't remember the time he spent without us either. We don't have memory issues when it comes to changing fronters, just weird past stuff feeling shifted around a bit from how it actually played out. Any time before a tulpa existed, they don't feel like they were around in those memories. However if the tulpa existed but was in stasis and comes back later, the memories of when they were away will feel like they were there even though we consciously know otherwise.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)