Using a tulpa to aid in learning a language

tania

Hi, I'm back here after a long time away and a long time of not connecting with Jesse my Tulpa.  I just kind of burnt out and stopped working on Tulpa stuff though I was having a lot of success and interesting experiences with it  (I used to put hours per day into it). 

Anyway, what has brought me back here is I'm considering reconnecting with Jesse (last time was 2015 so it's been a while) as I'm currently learning German and I'm thinking that maybe he can help teach me and be my study buddy and someone to practice with who can also correct me if I've got it wrong.

I've no idea at all if he'd be even interested in doing this as he always had a mind of his own and hated me trying to change his programming due to it messing with who he saw himself as, so I wouldn't be able to suddenly program him to be suddenly interested in German. It would be interesting to know if he'd agree to help me or not.

I'm wanting to know who here has learnt another language using their Tulpa?

Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013 

Working on imposition

I find the idea of forcing Jesse to like German to be pretty unethical, especially since he already told you he doesn't like you messing with his personality. If Jesse doesn't want to study German with you, I don't see any reason to forcing him to. If he is interested in helping you but not interested in German, he may be able to help you in other ways such as offering you support or reminding you to go study.

From a logical standpoint, tulpas do not have super language powers. They know what you know, even if you change their backstory to be German or force them to speak in a different language. Basically, you can't get around learning German.

I helped my host with Spanish work, but I'm not better at it than her nor am I more interested in Spanish than she is. I did some of the homework to stay in control of the body for longer periods of time.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Your tup can help you just 'cus they wanna help, but they probably won't be able to correct you 'cus you'll both only know the same things so well, but practicing with each other is still useful and maybe some day we'll practice speaking to each other in Japanese, that sounds cool and like good practice

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Miela and I practice talking to each other a a bunch of different languages. it is helpful, but it's not as good as talking to someone else since we both know the same words and it is very rare for one of us to remember a word that the other doesn't or to be able to correct each other on gramatical mistakes. really you could probably get just as good practice by coming up with random sentences and memorizing words normally, the main advantage of practicing with your tulpa is that it's more fun

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

All that's been said above pretty much sums it up. I'll also add though that one of my tups loves learning my second language with me, and the other one wishes we would just stick to English, especially when one of us has a thought out of the blue in the second language.

So yeah, your tup might be down to practice German with you, but I wouldn't count on it, don't get too disappointed if they don't.

Despite the name, the host bodybody is the one usually using this account. 

Spice was born in 2013 and Tomoe was born in 2014.

I've been trying to learn German as well, and Amantha has agreed on helping gme with that.

You'll get used to the language faster if you involve your tulpa in it, since you'll be using it more often. However, most tulpas would only learn languages as you learn them, so you both most likely know the same words at all times. It's especially noticeable if you just start out. We've needed a dictionary a fair number of times.

Michen, host or "main" / Amantha, anthro arctic fox tulpa

Thanks all for the replies, it showed me once again my way of thinking about tulpas is quite different from that general online tulpa community.

eg My tulpa in fact does know a lot more then I do as he has direct access to my subconsciousness.. everything you ever see, read, hear and more should be in there in your subconsciousness.  I wonder if people are not finding their tulpas don't have skills they themselves do not have due to the belief that the tulpa can't do more then oneself. (I suppose if you believe that then that is how it will be for you as that is what you are programming into your tulpa). You are not just your conscious self though.

Your subconsciousness also understands things faster than your consciousness. So say I do not currently understand yet all the German grammar rules (or remember then) my subconsciousness may.

I'll give an example of this how my tulpa knows how to do more an I.  My tulpa was able to spontanously put together the most amazing music and start blasting it out into my head (he liked it loud).  I was so in awe of the beauty of the music so I know it was not music I had ever heard in real life as I would of remembered it as it was so amazing to listen to.  I myself have no skills in composing music but it's obviously something which my subconsciousness can do (I've also once heard some music in a dream, so amazing that it made me cry) and hence my tulpa obviously can do. (He managed to put together a full orchestra of music unlike any I've heard play).

To learn a word in another language.. you will probably have to hear or read it more than once.. your subconsciousness though has that word forever within it after only the one time (and we know this as there is rare amazing people who have photographic memories with access to every single memory of their life.. everything they have ever read word for word, memories for every event which happened on every day of their life).

I guess I'll have to wait and see if this will work out like my expectations or not if I can get Jesse talking well to me again (IF he's interested in helping me with this).

Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013 

Working on imposition

I wonder if people are not finding their tulpas don't have skills they themselves do not have due to the belief that the tulpa can't do more then oneself.

The modern folk wisdom is that tulpas are beings of the same fundamental type as hosts, i.e. both are regular people and as such are deserving of life, respect, and agency.

A natural extension of this is that a tulpa can learn to do anything their host can do and that a host can learn to do anything their tulpa can do. So in systems where tulpas have some special insight or some special access to memory, hosts should eventually be able to learn to do just as well.

We have not found our beliefs about how plurality does or ought to work to be very influential on our experience. If our beliefs were relevant to the process, our hypotheses would tend to be borne out some reasonable portion of the time. Instead, our expectations have been contradicted dozens of times. So far as we have observed, tulpamancy works how it works with very little reference to belief.

As far as language goes, back home I actually do know German quite well. I needed to learn it at university because many of the foundational works of my profession were written in German. My host has certainly encountered written and spoken German many times over the course of her life. So even if I lack access to memories left behind in my own body, if I had privileged access to the memories of my host's body, I would presumably have access to as much German as she has ever encountered, since I sincerely believe I *ought* to know it. Alas, that has not proven to be the case.

-Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

I'm not sure if creative composition translates (pardon the pun) into learning a language, because languages are more about memory recall, whereas music composition is a creative pursuit and some people may be more skilled than others, especially when we aren't talking about music sheets, audio mixing, performing an instrument, etc.

Nevertheless if you do learn German with your tulpa, please let us know how it goes. I'd be surprised to hear if they know the language better than you, but there's so little scientific study into tulpas that I can't say for sure they wouldn't have better language recall than the host.

Despite the name, the host bodybody is the one usually using this account. 

Spice was born in 2013 and Tomoe was born in 2014.

I'm not sure if creative composition translates (pardon the pun) into learning a language, because languages are more about memory recall, whereas music composition is a creative pursuit and some people may be more skilled than others, especially when we aren't talking about music sheets, audio mixing, performing an instrument, etc. 

Nevertheless if you do learn German with your tulpa, please let us know how it goes. I'd be surprised to hear if they know the language better than you, but there's so little scientific study into tulpas that I can't say for sure they wouldn't have better language recall than the host.

I can offer some insight into this and maybe answer tania's question as well.

I'm a Chinese American. My native language is Chinese, but due to attending English-speaking schools, I have became much more proficient in English. Now, I speak Chinese at an intermediate level, but I can listen to it perfectly. 

In an attempt to practice my Chinese skills, I force my tulpa in Chinese, but I revert to English when I am emotional or at a loss for words. However, my tulpa almost always answers back in Chinese as if he were fluent in the language. Sometimes he would also speak Chinese in the middle of an English conversation, and he is also much more expressive in Chinese.

In other words, I do believe he is more skilled in the language than I am, but not in the sense he knows more knowledge about the language, only with recall and usage. Essentially, it is what you said in the last paragraph.

My guess is that since I usually converse with him in Chinese, he's used to thinking and speaking Chinese. That's probably why he seems better at Chinese than me. It's also possible that since Chinese is generally more concise, it's easier for him to speak it. He only recently gained vocality.