Accidental Soulbond, Or Mental Illness Spurred Hallucination?

Thank you, Vesper. I remember reading it back in 2014 or 2015, and thought it was on Astraea'sWeb, but it has nothing negative. However, I did find this from Spicetea:

Many groups have stepped away from using this word due to the many varied meanings and controversy associated with it. Another word for a Soulbond can be a Fictive.

The general idea that was communicated was "don't use the term soulbond otherwise people will think that you believe your character is a soul that came from another dimension to live in you head, and well that's just nuts!" suggesting a negative connotation.

Another off-topic discussion developed here. If you are interested in reading that discussion, please go here: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-misc-mental-illness-and-tulpamancers -Ranger

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

...Yeah, that's kind of why I stopped using this board for 4 years.

If someone went searching in the past six or seven years, 'tulpa' would be the first term they came across, so they might join that community instead, or at least call their living character friends 'tulpas'.

That's the boat I'm in, dunno what to call her, so I use tulpa or soulbond. Don't personally believe the other dimensions/spiritual aspect of it, though.

Please do not fight in my thread. The question at hand has been answered as well as it can I believe. Next course of action for me is to bring it up with an actual therapist, more in-depth. Thank you all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Reilyn-Alley

OSDD (other specified dissociative disorder) is a catchall diagnosis for someone who doesn't meet all of the criteria for DID yet their mental health professional is still confidant enough to diagnose them. An example of OSDD may be someone who matches all the other criteria for DID but experiences no blackouts, lost time, switching amnesia, all refer to the same thing.

That being said, modern well-trained therapists recognize DID falls upon a spectrum, just like autism, asthma or many other conditions which for one person may be crippling, for another they may be highly functional. One therapist may feel that someone has significant amnesia about their past, clearly indicating the memories and/or emotions have been compartmentalized, combined with lots of sessions of gently poking and probing as they are trained to do, and still decide it's enough to call DID. They may also take time to ensure the presence of alters, and not psychosis.

Another may say no switching amnesia means no DID. No two people are identical and the same with systems of alters, though there are noted, often observable patterns.

That said, the only disorders in the DSM-V that have alters/parts are DID and OSDD. I know a lot about this stuff because that's become our life. I've had to research it and yes, we have been diagnosed with DID (sorry for not telling anyone sooner).

OSDD (other specified dissociative disorder) is a catchall diagnosis for someone who doesn't meet all of the criteria for DID yet their mental health professional is still confidant enough to diagnose them. An example of OSDD may be someone who matches all the other criteria for DID but experiences no blackouts, lost time, switching amnesia, all refer to the same thing.

That being said, modern well-trained therapists recognize DID falls upon a spectrum, just like autism, asthma or many other conditions which for one person may be crippling, for another they may be highly functional. One therapist may feel that someone has significant amnesia about their past, clearly indicating the memories and/or emotions have been compartmentalized, combined with lots of sessions of gently poking and probing as they are trained to do, and still decide it's enough to call DID. They may also take time to ensure the presence of alters, and not psychosis.

Another may say no switching amnesia means no DID. No two people are identical and the same with systems of alters, though there are noted, often observable patterns.

That said, the only disorders in the DSM-V that have alters/parts are DID and OSDD. I know a lot about this stuff because that's become our life. I've had to research it and yes, we have been diagnosed with DID (sorry for not telling anyone sooner).

Thank you! This has helped expand the ideas I can spitball with my therapist when considering a diagnosis, I appreciate it =)

Do not worry about your diagnosis, I don't think anyone thinks of you less for it. I certainly don't.