Mental Illness and Tulpamancers

Lucilyn

This topic originated from this thread here: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-accidental-soulbond-or-mental-illness-spurred-hallucination -Ranger

I'll be able to add a little more later, but please don't discount the possibility of a mental illness as I'm sure most tulpamancers have them, and they don't make us nuts, they're just something we deal with.

Whoah whoah, how did I miss this?? NO, that is not true at all, jeez! I don't even know how to start refuting that because it's so out of nowhere, I mean there's been surveys and polls on the forum itself that showed more than half of us had nothing at all (not even depression or stuff), not to mention tons of tulpamancers didn't have tulpas appear naturally but had to work to create them, I mean..

just where did you even get that idea?

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Whoah whoah, how did I miss this?? NO, that is not true at all, jeez! I don't even know how to start refuting that because it's so out of nowhere, I mean there's been surveys and polls on the forum itself that showed more than half of us had nothing at all (not even depression or stuff), not to mention tons of tulpamancers didn't have tulpas appear naturally but had to work to create them, I mean..

just where did you even get that idea?

Apologies, I hadn't seen the polls (or I don't remember them at least) but it's the impression I get from seeing lots of posts in the community with people describing social anxiety, isolation and depression.

I'll cop that I'm wrong though.

Also, I didn't mean to imply most people's tulpas are walk ins etc, I'm not sure where it sounded like I said that but I believe most tulpas are created consciously on purpose.

Despite the name, the host bodybody is the one usually using this account. 

Spice was born in 2013 and Tomoe was born in 2014.

Also, I didn't mean to imply most people's tulpas are walk ins etc, I'm not sure where it sounded like I said that but I believe most tulpas are created consciously on purpose.

What, do you just think people with disorders purposely seek out instruction on how to create tulpas? She meant that naturally, plenty of people who only come upon tulpamancy by chance have no natural inclination to have a disorder. Just as an addition to natural systems also not not necessarily having any disorder.

Slightly more frequent than the average population, perhaps, especially depression - but certainly nothing that should have tulpamancers directly related to disorders. Introversion, at best.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Apologies, I hadn't seen the polls (or I don't remember them at least) but it's the impression I get from seeing lots of posts in the community with people describing social anxiety, isolation and depression.

I'll cop that I'm wrong though.

Um, it's very easy to get this impression, and I even wonder if those polls missed certain segments of the population or are out of date recently. There are a lot of troubled tulpamancers out there in the greater community, but to be fair, it might just be the vocal/social ones. Also, maybe some of the obviously troubled ones wouldn't admit it on a poll.

We don't have the history of Lucilyn in the community, but we have a much broader perspective of the greater communities so let's say that of those we spoke to in the past 16 months, a couple hundred at best, we have to conclude that:

1. The majority are troubled

2. The majority had walk-ins or roleplay/characters come to life.

This is based on our observations, ignoring any polls, and based on our interpretation of 'troubled'.

Personally our host was troubled and he didn't really make any of us, certainly not on purpose, and definitely not to be independent.

What, do you just think people with disorders purposely seek out instruction on how to create tulpas? She meant that naturally, plenty of people who only come upon tulpamancy by chance have no natural inclination to have a disorder. Just as an addition to natural systems also not not necessarily having any disorder.

Slightly more frequent than the average population, perhaps, especially depression - but certainly nothing that should have tulpamancers directly related to disorders. Introversion, at best.

Sorry, I'm kind of lost, I'm not trying to imply anything of the sort? I just find that a lot of the newbie/intro posts on here and reddit have people talking about how they have social anxiety or depression, I'm not insinuating they're only into tulpamancy because of that.

I do think introverted people are more drawn to tulpas but it's not negative or anything, we are just the sort of people to be drawn to a quiet meditative practice, plus the bonus of having a friend who understands you deeply. That could apply to people whether they have anxiety/depression or not.

Despite the name, the host bodybody is the one usually using this account. 

Spice was born in 2013 and Tomoe was born in 2014.

You said "I think the majority of tulpamancers have [mental illness]". I know you took what she said as unrelated, but she was saying the fact that a large number of tulpamancers specifically created tulpas on purpose after finding instructions on how, would mean for your statement to be true, people with mental illnesses were specifically seeking out tulpamancy more than those without (otherwise it wouldn't be true, accounting for them).

But, that's just to explain the misunderstanding, I understand you didn't really know what you were saying. A lot of tulpamancers do have something, though typical depression, (social) anxiety, and loneliness are the most common. Introversion is also a strong trend, but obviously that's not a negative thing, just an observation. Introverts are just far more likely to look inward for a solution to loneliness/anxiety/etc., while extraverts are less likely to see the point.

1. The majority are troubled

2. The majority had walk-ins or roleplay/characters come to life.

This is based on our observations, ignoring any polls, and based on our interpretation of 'troubled'.

Majority troubled? Hmm, maybe. Like a 60-70% majority, not a 90%.

Majority having walk-ins though, that's a new phenomenon. That wasn't remotely the case in earlier years of Tulpa.info, which kick-started the modern tulpa phenomenon. We were actually sort of unique back in 2014 for having existed before learning about tulpas.

I think it's fair to say that "Tulpamancy" has a much lower number of "troubled" people, and very very few "walk-ins/naturals", as it was just a practice of creating tulpas yourself. However, as the phenomenon grew, more people with any forms of plurality found the phenomenon, and many of them have headmates that could qualify to be called "tulpas". Which is fine, but I'm just explaining why the apparent trend has shifted over the years.

Often, though not nearly always, having other people in your head is only natural insofar as a coping method (not necessarily for trauma, just for loneliness etc.) of some sort, so as the phenomenon becomes more well-known the community starts to consist more of people with existing headmates, again with a natural trend towards having some issue that warranted them, and the original community who simply made them on purpose (with a still somewhat higher than average, but nontheless far lower rate of mental illness) is becoming maybe more of a minority.

That's just my understanding of it, anyway.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

It's all conjecture, we're just supporting why Spice came to their statement. We also didn't take their statement with the connotations you and Lucilyn did.

In your own admission, you stay here and out of the greater community, but the forum is a microcosm, and in general skewed toward less troubled and more choosing to create tulpas, so it's purely a matter of perspective.

I mostly stay on tulpa.info forums and discord, but from what I have seen, most people are "troubled", but though there is a higher rate of mental illness (specifically depression, anxiety, and autism), people with mental illnesses seem to be in the minority. I'm not certain if most people have walk ins, but a lot do. most people who have walk ins seem to develop them after making a tulpa

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

To be fair, Discord in general has a lot of troubled people in all communities we've visited. Troubled would include people who are just angsty, or depressed but not necessarily clinically depressed.

I'm basically 100% sure that present Tulpa.info is representative of the general tulpamancy community, or rather, that I hear about the experiences that are representative here if not all of said individuals participating on the forum (keeping in mind I differentiate "Tulpamancy" from greater plurality). If you think when I talked about Tulpa.info's more normal, choosing-to-create tulpas community still applies, you have no idea what the forum used to be like when and before we joined. People with unique/"different" experiences far outnumber what we're used to on the forum these days, and I can barely point to any examples of systems who learned about tulpamancy and started and learned about it primarily from here anymore.

I mean, we've got plenty of people still showing up to do so, some writing PRs - but I'm not seeing them go on to be active and representative of .info, anyway.