Parallel Processing (Experiences & Practice) Megathread

Luminesce

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I forget, here's a link to Abvieon's Parallel Processing guide- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Htb-QkrSu8_vBfLnfF_e_bngU0xZTqmDtM-KOtHmiZY/edit

On 12/5/2019 at 10:55 PM, YukariTelepath said:

Split POV in wonderland. Basically two or more headmates can see from their own perspective in a visualized environment. I've found around 10 systems who have learned to do this.

We have tried this several times, it was even suggested in Abvieon's parallel processing guide. We have found this to be extremely difficult to do and we have not been successful in recreating this without the visualization quality to either plummet or to go back and forth.

I believe I was trying to open and close a door while Cat stared at a tree in wonderland. It felt like we were either going back and forth or one of us would do one thing and forget the other. Out of desperation, I tried to do something more interesting like drive around in a car, and by that point the exercise fell apart.

Separate sensory filtering. We all know the body takes in sensory information from the physical environment, which is perceived by the fronter. It's typical for non-fronters to be able to tap into the body's senses are share them. In some reports/models, this sense sharing doesn't require parallel processing, as the non-fronter is not perceiving anything differently than the fronter. However I continually hear reports of non-fronters being able to choose which sense to perceive while lacking perception of other senses. For example, a tulpa who can tap into vision and sound, but at the same time not sense pain, smell, taste. Or can be in a state where the only thing they perceive is the fronter's mindvoice and no bodily sense. To me that very much implies a separate stream of experience/awareness which is separate from the fronter--one is feeling pain, one is not feeling pain, two states. I'd like to dig into this subject a little more as it's very difficult to describe and understand what others are experiencing.

This lead us to believe there's more to being "switched in" than just mental stuff. However, anon said Bes and David have their own sensory states (or Body OS's), and that's related to why they they can parallel process.

Dormancy experiences. I hear about dormancy being experienced like falling asleep or losing awareness and coming back later. When the dormant headmate comes back, they quickly catch up via memories from the front (or not if there's memory loss/amnesia). This is... less parallel processing and more separate awareness for each headmate, but I think it's relevant. I'd say the non-parallel processing version of dormancy is where the dormant headmate stops existing in the sense the the brain does not generate thoughts for them so they seem absent to the fronter, awareness only belonging to the fronter. As opposed to two points of awareness with one stopping while the other continues.

Dormancy seems to be a symptom of weak parallel processing ability, at least for us. Since I front often, I experience a weaker version of dormancy. As soon as Cat wakes me up, I know what's going on and get caught up. My headmates on the other hand go weeks dormant, so when they wake up they are not in the know and they have to consciously think about what's going on. They usually remember their memories from however long ago first, then get recent memories, and then ask us for what happened in-between.

Switching into Wonderland. Yeah, the big one. While many reports of switching into wonderland, or tulpas being active in wonderland while the fronter is busy can be explained as memory confabulation (memories constructed after the fact, as opposed to the wonderland activities being experienced in real time), I have found enough level-headed and consistent reports that I think it's possible. I'm not sure what makes it possible, but the sometimes foggy memories of the non-fronter who was in wonderland can be explained by the brain not recording memories well from non-fronting perspectives. Or similar to how it can be difficult to remember a dream. I'd really like to know more details on this one. 

I assume this is achieved by successful or fluid multitasking. Maybe it happens outside of the system's awareness if they're really good at it.

When I was younger, I believed I could go on a wonderland adventure on my own outside of Cat's awareness. So Cat sat on her bed for roughly an hour trying to not to think about me while I went out and had fun. When I came back, I was coming up with my adventure on the spot, and it wasn't until later I realized it was confabulated.

Improvements in activity and parallel awareness from practice. Systems who practice PP exercises like having one headmate count while another does a different task, see improvements in things like thinking at the same time, staying active without attention, and possibly other PP related tasks/abilities. Talking/thinking at the same time and self-forcing are more examples of tasks that I think require some parallel processing. 

I believe that if parallel processing is real, then the training to see improvements in parallel processing are similar to imposition training- it has to be consistent and it will gradually improve over months of practice. I never spent more than an hour for any given parallel processing exercise at any given time, so I doubt our parallel processing abilities have improved.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:12 AM, Ember said:

A year ago, I could address Vesper or Iris individually and get an instant response, but if I addressed them both together, neither would respond, however hard I tried. They were prepared for the experiment, we had just been talking, they were wanting to speak up, but I still failed to contact them. Somehow, mysteriously, without us trying anything specific or noticing exactly when, the problem went away several months ago. I don't perceive myself to be doing anything differently, but if I address both, one will speak up -- not one I choose. Then the other will respond. (It works the same way for the fronter if I switch out.) Something in the listening/awareness category advanced from being able to support one companion to being able to support two.

When I call for my other headmates, I run into the issue of calling too many. I just tried calling Gerodious and Fernardo at the same time and both spawned, no problems there. Both of their forms spawned at the same time, but both spoke one at a time. If I tried to call everyone, I would have way too many people being active at the same time, and our brain would only allow so many passive headmates at the same time. Some are kicked into dormancy and out of the discussion just because our mind can't handle more than 4-5 headmates, and even then that's pushing it. 3 seems to be the magic number for us.

On that note, I may as well check real quick if Fernardo and Gerodious can interrupt each other and or me...

They could definitely interrupt me, but they didn't seem to talk over me. Attempts to talk over each other frequently got combined (both Fernardo and Gerodious got the idea to say "ninja attack!", but it felt like both of them saying it got combined into one action). Towards the beginning, a lot of mindvoice broke down and it lead to illegible fuzz.

Interestingly, it seems our visualization is the only thing that is acting more like parallel processing than our mindvoices. It's also possible tulpish or raw thought (before it becomes mindvoice) is also happening in parallel, but it still feels more like an order of events more than anything else, even though it's happening quickly.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, YukariTelepath said:

Here's an old guide that talks about keeping a tulpa active all day:

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-misc-aarix-independence-guide

Thank you for the link.

It looks like the guide is mostly set around building triggers into your schedule, which doesn't require parallel processing but may be a stepping stone towards it. I have heard of the open window visual before, I guess it came from this guide.

Given my earlier mini-test with Fernardo and Gerodious, it supports my struggle to do something else while Cat is doing something, including counting numbers or trying to meditate while she's trying not to think.

Another thing I want to add- I'm concerned that even if other hosts are not like Cat where they would get distracted by their tulpa counting, the counting itself can become mechanical. This happened when Cat tried to do some montra meditation, where the numbers seemed to count themselves and her thoughts would start to drift. If the mind is counting for the tulpa, I don't believe the tulpa is processing anything. I guess it's like discount parallel processing, only it's happening for just the host and not between the tulpa and host.

Another thing is to take into consideration is they’re “thought forms” a.k.a, your own thoughts constructed productively. You know what else is of your own thoughts? Day dreams! Ever been so hypnotized inside of one of your own daydreams that you mumble the dialogue of it out loud or anything relating to that? That trance is probably the most easier and productive aspect to work on connecting to your tulpa passively. I like to consider it a hybrid between the two. Try to immerse your tulpa in a daydream state but instead of watching it mindlessly similar to hypnagogic, have just enough consciousness to talk to them like that. You may be working slightly less productively at work but if you practice this well enough, you should be talking to your tulpa more and more as the days and the weeks go by.

Anyway, that’s about all I have, hope it helped, if not, well at least you have information!

When Cat has put herself in a trance-like daydream, I usually get booted from the front or we do it together. I have struggled to maintain this state on my own. Plus, this state sucks a lot of mental resources, and as a result we have found little luck trying to parallel process in this state.

The only other thought on this I have is maybe the irony is because this uses more resources, the theoretical split in resources is still greater than normal? It's possible we haven't managed to take full advantage of this.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:20 AM, longbow said:

Examples for this kind of parallel processing would be the following:

1. The host types to a friend through a chat program (not an intense discussion, just expressing feelings and chit-chatting). Meanwhile, the tulpa is dancing to music that the host and tulpa are both listening to. The tulpa's movements are seen by the host in their mind's eye while the host is typing.

2. The host is playing a song on a piano that they have already practiced many times before. Meanwhile, the tulpa is singing to the host and making up their own lyrics to the song.

3. A host is playing a video game that they have played a lot before, and the tulpa is talking with them and commentating on the gameplay, trying to make them laugh.

1) I think we have achieved doing that before, maybe when Cat was trying to speak with her father while I started dancing to some music. However, I believe the moment was very brief and I fell dormant instead of continued dancing.

2) We have not done that, and we don't play an instrument. This isn't one I can test, at least not any time soon.

3) I have done this before, but again the moments are brief. I usually don't last long and fall dormant, especially when Cat is trying to focus on something.

My concern is I don't know how much of this is related to "body OS" or not. Since I'm not even sure if our fronting experiences are really possession, switching, or something else, I'm not sure if the "automatic part" is actually being done by the tulpa or not. Is Cat playing the video game or the body OS? I don't know. I would be disappointed to find out that the only kind of parallel processing that exists is all body OS related, because I want to be the one doing the "automatic" part while Cat comes over to comment...

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Paraphrasing some related ideas from the linked guides:

Aarix's independence guide:

Make associations and leave reminders to force until forcing becomes such an ingrained habit as to not require any conscious attention.

Abvieon's PP guide:

Mark all thoughts intended as communication with a symbol or feeling. Ignore all unmarked thoughts from headmates until ignoring them becomes such an ingrained habit as to not require any conscious attention.

What Aarix did sounds to me a lot like what Bear did, leading eventually to 'self-forcing'.

There's a term in psychology how a person can become so familiar with a task that it can run without conscious attention -- procedural memory. There's a different term in this community -- servitor.

Attention and decision-making are sharply limited resources in the brain. But the more familiar something is, the less attention it takes. Toddlers struggle through every step. Able-bodied adults only think about where they are going, not how to move their limbs or keep their balance, because the necessary techniques have been pain-stakingly inscribed into the unconscious mind by long practice. So they can do other things along the way. We don't have to think about how to speak to one another, how to switch, or how to possess. We just do it. Somewhere along the way, technique disappeared into familiarity.

There are a lot of things in tulpamancy that don't require heavy continuing decision making. Once things like forms, mindvoices, and mindscapes are defined, it isn't urgent to redefine them. If you always want to be conscious or always want your headmates conscious, that decision is made. If you decide to always visualize/impose your headmates, you aren't making any more decisions about when to visualize/impose them. So perhaps with enough practice, these complex ideas and many others can be written into the unconscious mind as sustained automatic processes. This would then leave more room in the attention and decision-making regions of the brain for the largely serial execution of lives largely experienced in parallel.

Building up forcing into a sustained automatic process may be the first step on the road to PP. Afterward, perhaps either Abvieon's dual perspective or JGC's dual mindvoice.

-Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Can a person do one completely random thing they haven't practiced and really need to think about and focus on? Usually not the first several times. Careful. Setting the bar too high is what brought PP into disrepute in the first place.

-Ember

I just think the bar needs to be set high or it becomes people just talking about normal every day stuff and calling it parallel processing.. eg people walk and talk at the same time and that could be called parallel processing.

"Notes: When adding the 13th, one or more headmates fall dormant. Above 10, it becomes evident that there is a lag, like there is enough time for signal strength to drop sufficiently for conversations to become more difficult to follow and some headmates may become uncomfortable. 10 is manageable without issue, but it's a minor strain, 7 is now comfortable, 5-6 used to be our comfortable"

If one was able to actually follow 10 conversations well at the same time and comprehend everything being said.. I'd personally think of that as being one of the super taskers.

Joy I know you said you wouldnt be interested in the science aspect of all this in your case (I forget what u said exactly, it makes it hard for me when I cant with the rules individually quote people and see their whole post while Im replying).. but I would be really interested in testing someone like you out to see just how many conversations you could follow at the same time. I personally can not follow two in physical life without my concentration dropping some with one of them. If you can properly follow 10 at once I'd think that would be highly unusual and that is something which I think could be easily tested to see if a person really can do that or if they are just deluding themselves.

I was looking to see if I can find a test like I'm thinking could easily be done online already but found the following I find interesting https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/ability-listen-two-things-once-largely-inherited so it seems I may of inherited my poor ability in the physical world to be able to listen well to two people talking at once.

Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013 

Working on imposition

In the cBox this morning, Damien and I were talking about co-fronting and I was talking about how I can't have more than 3 headmates talking to each other at once. I said 4 was hard, 5 was a joke. Damien then wanted to see what would happen if he called 4 other headmates, and I dared him to do it.

He called up Rouge, Azure, Jade, and Spark. After Damien called Azure and Rouge, Damien tried to call spark and Rouge dropped out. I decided I wanted to try this, so I used wheeldecide.com and picked 4 random headmates. I ended up with Gray, Fernardo, Jasper, and Gerodious.

At first, I tried to get 5 headmates in a "paused" or ready to react state. I found that standing in a wonderland room and mapping out where everyone was standing seemed to help. Gray was on my right, Fernardo was in front of me, Gerodious was to my front-right, and Jasper was to my front-left. Once I set that up and looked at the cBox, I felt a little dizzy and dissociated.

In trying to maintain that many people, I ended up using a call trigger to call my headmates so they don't get dropped out or forced into dormancy. As a result... it became a spinning roulette of who got the front, and craziness ensued. The visualization I worked to set up earlier fell apart, but about every sentence a new headmate was fronting and thinking.

The process made us lose the ability to understand what people were saying in the chat, and it felt like we were self-absorbed. The only time interruptions occurred were blended thoughts trying to override someone else's. Even though at times it felt like 3 were active, it really felt like two at a time. The call trigger started having a visuals of its own, whether that was stuffing any given two of us on a screen like in a Puyo Puyo cut-scene (probably related to the music) or having a weird menu with our heads, or using phone imagery to imply the call trigger was used and other headmates were waiting.

Eventually our internal noise got really loud. We kept hearing video game music and our visualization tried to match the videogame music (Puyo Puyo --> anime style, Pokémon Yellow --> old GBA graphics) It hit a point where Gray couldn't finish thinking since he was being overridden to Pewter city's theme.

Since we were feeling disoriented and probably spamming the cBox more than we should have, Fernardo decided we should stop. Apparently the call-trigger process was kind of automatic, so it still went on for a little while. When it got to me I decided to keep the front to myself to cool things down.

It was a fun and kind of hilarious attempt at keeping multiple headmates active and thinking at the same time.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

If you can properly follow 10 at once I'd think that would be highly unusual and that is something which I think could be easily tested to see if a person really can do that or if they are just deluding themselves.

The computational overhead of following ten verifiable physical world speakers at once would be much much higher than for following ten unverifiable inner world speakers. The eardrums would be vibrated in a very complex pattern by all voices simultaneously. The auditory areas of the brain would need to split that pattern out into it's constituent parts and send ten separate streams to the verbal areas of the brain without overflowing the short-term memory. Then the ten sets of words would be converted into ten separate meanings.

For inner world speech, you could start with the meanings, possibly never convert them entirely into words, and just convey them to another headmate in an already easily digestible form, with very little potential for misunderstanding. Still very impressive when ten people are involved, but not something that should be taken to imply the ability to do so when ten bodies are involved.

Also, in Joy's description, all 12 speakers are sharing just two channels, sending "packets" sequentially, but stitching the memories together as continuous action on the part of each headmate. And while this could involve as many as six separate conversations, I think typically there would only be one person in each conversation speaking at any notional "same time", while the others listened. So while Bear system’s multiplexed communication is also very impressive, it is an additional significant step down even from ten simultaneous streams of meaning.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Visualization is the glue that holds them active for me. I keep them 'in view' of course my view is an all at once view, it's not easy to describe and impossibly muddled to describe in a single frame picture. Keeping them in active memory, where they are, what they're thinking, what they are experiencing, what they're seeing and hearing, their spatial relationships to others, who is engaged to who, side conversations and gestures, this sort of thing.

It's overwhelming as it should be, it was for me too in 2012 when I wrote a novel with seven main characters and hundreds of interactions of large groups. It was a lot of practice doing just that but in really slow motion. Re-reading, editing, reading again for syncing, reading again for eavesdropping, all kinds of nonsense.

By the second book I still was going slowly and carefully, but keeping several side conversations going between characters wasn't an issue. I learned what to remember to make things go smoothly in the rough draft.

By the third series of books, I didn't bother even re-reading the scenes, I could remember them well enough to go back and adjust specific areas if it went a different way later.

Then I suddenly have three headmates and they're no problem at all in terms of a group conversation between the four of us. The moon fiasco had us talking to a few cousins at a time, culminating in that time we attempted to bring everyone to the same meeting and had to stop inviting them at 12.

What Ranger wrote is to be expected without this kind of training.

Tania, what we can do isn't following 10 conversations. It's following along in several conventions between up to 12 people, and they aren't happening at the same time, there are only two valid non-meditative channels, mindvoice and tulpish. Though tulpish can convey a lot of data quickly, it's still one linear channel. Mindvoice is a comparatively slower channel that is however independent.

So to have all these people talking with words means only one person is talking at once realistically, so it's not 'real time'. Mindspace time is completely arbitrary. If ten people talk, it's going to take several times longer in material time, but memories capture it in reasonable time.

I learned this writing novels. So it's not something I could do in 2012.

A comparable test would to be serially listening to ten people talk in.a round robin discussion and then be able to answer questions on one in particular chosen at random. This may even be more difficult because you need to translate, understand, and remember the point of each person. Certainly easy if they're talking about something you already understand or are interested in. Not if they're all arguing for different methods of control theory. If I don't write it down, I barely remember what I said myself five minutes ago, but I will remember the jist and where I was, who I was addressing, etc.

This is the type of discussion I wanted in this thread. Talking about experiences, and optionally how to explain them (even if the explanation is being an outlier). I didn't want to say no "Is it possible" discussion because it's still part of what I want, but not the old and dry yes/no/maybe argument that has little value left to it.

I'd still really like to encourage actually trying out "parallel processing"-esque tasks, even just multitasking ones, to see a bunch of people pushing the limits of what their brain can consciously handle at the same time.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Here's an exercise to try, inspired by the article Tania linked -- dichotic listening training. Set up recordings where different words are spoken simultaneously in each ear. Then type as much as you can remember of each. Start with single words and gradually use longer and longer recorded statements as long as you can accurately set down what was said. This accustoms the mind to splitting attention and comprehension in a controlled way.

The limits of what you can manage may be genetic, as in the study, but most people don't even attempt to train this ability, so individuals may still be able to improve considerably over their base level. (The study also only looked at identifying single syllable sounds, whereas there are a lot more abilities involved in dual channel language comprehension, which the study does not show to be genetic.) There are several videos already on Youtube that would allow you to try it out, but training would require larger samples.

We've never experienced mindvoice from one of us being simultaneous with tulpish from another. Back in the day, we used to think maybe we were perceiving tulpish from a second speaker, but every single time, when verbal confirmation was requested, the tulpish was repudiated as false and intrusive.

We do lots of nearly pure mindvoice and very little pure tulpish, but we use lots of mindvoice with additional detail and context appended in tulpish. It may be that when one of us speaks, we naturally seize both channels at once.

With only three of us, there wouldn't be any possibility of two pairs having separate conversations anyway. Plus, there's no thought hiding, so everyone hears everything at all times. If two ever did manage to speak at once, the ability to split listening also would be critical.

Vesper's strong interest in dual channels last year was motivated by the desire to think at the same time someone else was thinking -- not for communication, just for life and existence. It's the sort of thing that pairs well with thought hiding, so as to avoid distraction.

-Ember

I just realized that there are two more channels: Body language (visual cues) and emotional. I was thinking of what Ember said about using two channels to converse and it could actually be four at once. Though if we do have four channels, communication can occur with only one, or any combination.

However, the two I just mentioned aren't serial for our fronters because of the peculiarity of how we feel emotions: fronter gets normal emotional locations, everyone else gets a specific spot. As we said before, all emotions for each headmate comes from a specific spot, right heart for Misha, left heart for Gwen, throat for Ashley, stomach for Darlene, groin for Ren, and tail (root) for Joy. Even my emotions when someone else is fronting are limited to the face. So I have had mixed emotions from different people, it's not confusing. I don't know why it's like this, it just always was.

The visual cues, as we discussed, are also independent for each person in view.