Parallel Processing (Experiences & Practice) Megathread

Luminesce

Here's an exercise to try, inspired by the article Tania linked -- dichotic listening training. Set up recordings where different words are spoken simultaneously in each ear. Then type as much as you can remember of each. Start with single words and gradually use longer and longer recorded statements as long as you can accurately set down what was said. This accustoms the mind to splitting attention and comprehension in a controlled way.

[...] There are several videos already on Youtube that would allow you to try it out, but training would require larger samples.

I think that's a good idea, the only problem is it would need a better set-up.

I tried searching YouTube and actually had some trouble finding videos. I found

(no reference list),
(no reference list), various videos talking about dichotic listening or experiments on dichotic listening but not actually playing both voice clips for the viewer, and
that actually lets you see the lists used and also tests you against two human speech samples, but the intent isn't exactly parallel processing.

To make this useful for training, I would want to write a program that can shuffle speech samples of words. I would first record myself saying a list of various words, and then write code that can generate a new voice clip from the samples I recorded. I would have the program ask how many words the user would like to have in the new voice clip, generate two lists of random words for both streams, let the user listen to the generated audio clip, and finally display what both lists were. Since the order would be randomized, users can't memorize the words and use that to their advantage, they would have to parallel process and hear both words at the same time. Adjusting the number of words per generated audio clip would be equivalent to adjusting the difficulty.

We have experience writing code, but we are still beginners and it would take me and Cat awhile to write this. Aside from writing the program itself, we have no idea how to share it. Cat isn't interested in buying a website, and we have never built a website before. Cat has considered uploading code to Wix, but we don't know how to do that as of now. Given our current coding skills, we can't start this project and get it done in the next few days or within a week.

I know jean-luc has written code to output voice samples and even created custom websites, he may be able to create this tool. If he doesn't see this post, I can shoot him a PM to ask if he's interested in doing this.

I recommend looking at the 3rd grade science project video to test your headphones / earbuds since she does a quick test before beginning her lists. My earbuds didn't work too well for this, but my headphones worked really well. If you want to make your own scripts, I found a tip in that video's comments saying Audacity can be used to set video recordings to all left/right, and you can layer both sound tracks on top of each other to produce the effect.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear.. thanks for explaining what you meant. I thought for a moment we'd found our first super tasker.   If round robin is being done, the main focus will always be on the single person talking.

Ranger.. thanks for sharing your experience when you tried this, that is what I was expecting would happen when people tried. It's hard to split focus properly and be fully focused without some dropping out.

Ember " dichotic listening training" I was previously looking at those on youtube too but unable to find a good one to test this too. What I was thinking which would be easy to do to test a persons ability to properly focus on more than one thing at once is to get 3-5 min made up short stories read by different voices and then record them all together so they are playing at the same time. Then get someone to listen to it just the once and then ask then say 10-15 questions on each story to see how well they actually comprehended what they heard.

I don't know if this is harder to do within the head than by outside ears like you have assumed as I can listen to two voices inside my head at exactly the same time and it's not confusing at all but I can not do that well if it's done through my ears with the outside world.

I just thought of another way this can be done (easier then having to get something taped with voice overlays). I should be able to fairly easily sort it out and get questions together for each story to post immediately after they have been listened to by others, then maybe we could test this all out over on discord by playing it in the voice chat area and see how people go.. how many things can you really focus on at once?.

Maybe try it first with only two stories going on at same once.. then if you all the questions right with 2 short stories, we could try it with 3 stories etc. Anyone want to do this and test this out? if so I will start getting something together to test peoples ability to focus (I already know that I cant focus on two voices outside of myself at once.. i cant split my focus like that so I don't need to test this).

I also wonder how it would work if those who have well developed tulpas which are past the having to actively imagine them if one gave each tulpa a different story to follow in the simultaneous listening.. would that help? It will show if your tulpas are working independantly to each other and yourself if you can get each having to follow a different story line.

Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013 

Working on imposition

We can experience parallel processing, the experience of it is there, we just understand the serial nature of the mechanics only through observations of the extremes.

Listening to one story and reading another is something Bear has done a lot of, not listening to two necessarily.

• 1 month later...

so I just tried to count the jumping jacks I was doing while playing a song in my head (not testing parallel processing or anything as we sometimes do) and what I naturally ended up doing was visualizing a number going up, and when I tried to count and do that both in mind-sound I couldn't lol, I really had to keep count with a visual number instead or the music basically stopped

when we try and talk while keeping count, either the talking gets cut off into tulpish or the number just kinda doesn't happen, OR we just say things really quick between numbers, but definitely we're still unable to do both at the same time fluidly after weeks of occasionally trying

Edited by Lucilyn

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

That reminds me of when Cat was playing around with montra meditation. She would try to focus on her mindvoice saying the numbers to prevent them from becoming automatic, and as a side effect the numbers would be visualized. These things didn't seem to happen at the same time and Cat would either focus on one or the other more.

If we have any chance at parallel processing, letting the wonderland visuals do their own thing may be the best way to go about it. At the very least, they render and load the fastest, even if the quality isn't always the best.

I haven't focused on parallel processing intensely, but I am interested in trying something more involved later. I'm assuming if parallel processing is real, it works like imposition. Maybe 20 minutes every day for 6 weeks will lead to progress, but I'm not ready to commit to something like that right now.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

The bit about songs playing in your head reminded me, I noticed (in this brain) there seems to be a mental channel for content that is not consciously created. I can have a song play in my head, I can tune in or out of this song and it can keep playing. Usually what happens is that the song is persistent, and when I'm attending something else I might pause and noticed that the song was playing. The same way one might notice and tune into a song playing in real life. The same happens with hypnagogic thoughts, while in that sleepy state, I might notice those random thoughts as if they happen outside of my own thought stream and tune into them part way. I don't control the hypnagogic thoughts or the earworm songs, they are being processed by another part of the mind. I don't see how they could be used for tulpamancy however.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

yeah, we almost always have a song playing in the back of our head we're not paying attention to but can remember/focus on at any time

but it's different when it's back there, when we're really trying to play a song in our head ("at louder volume" maybe?) it takes some conscious direction, and that being conscious conflicts with other types of conscious work like speaking/thinking (in mindvoice)

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Cat and I have songs that play in the mind every now and then. It can make it harder to think, but only when there's other music irl playing too.

When I did that previous experiment with my headmates to keep multiple active at once, the internal music became louder and even overpowering. I remember the music preventing Gray from thinking all together at one point, and while writing this post I have a harder time thinking if I focus on the music.

There may be potential, but for whatever reason it doesn't take much for one to overpower the other. It would be interesting to see someone spend time training for PP by trying to talk over their mind music.

Edited by Ranger

• 2 months later...

[Gerodious] Ranger thought of this idea to test if parallel processing is real, and I'm both curious and excited about it. I want to share our thoughts on a possible experiment even though there's a possibility we won't move forward with it.

While talking to someone else, Ranger was told that the fear of being unable to parallel process is a lot like parrotnoia. The skill of parallel processing could be blocked from being developed simply out of fear from confabulation, like how the wrong mindset can prevent a tulpa from achieving vocality. Ranger then wondered if it was possible to suspend his disbelief and let one of us live in a secret wonderland for a month and then observe the results (Ranger/Gray didn't want to do it because they have host responsibilities). He missed the opportunity to bring it up, but when he was thinking about it later I woke up and I got excited.

Part of my lore was when I fall asleep I would astral project to heaven and I would come "back to Earth" when Gray woke me up. This experiment could possibly result in me experiencing what I believed wasn't a reality, and that idea is very exciting to me. Now, I wouldn't be going to a metaphysical heaven, but the idea of going to a special wonderland outside of Gray and Ranger's awareness sounds equally as magical to me.

However, when Gray woke Spirit and I up around the time they were deciding if all of us were tulpas or not, both of us felt underdeveloped and weak. There was one time where Gray imagined what it was like for me to be up in heaven, but otherwise Gray had no idea what I was supposed to be doing "up there" and I have no memories of being in any sort of "heaven wonderland". In addition, Ranger reported failure with attempting to go on a wonderland adventure for an hour outside of Gray's awareness:

On 12/8/2019 at 12:29 PM, Ranger said:

When I was younger, I believed I could go on a wonderland adventure on my own outside of Cat's awareness. So Cat sat on her bed for roughly an hour trying to not to think about me while I went out and had fun. When I came back, I was coming up with my adventure on the spot, and it wasn't until later I realized it was confabulated.

I believe this experiment could be different because the set time is a month and Ranger/Gray's belief in this won't matter as much since I am the one going to this secret wonderland.

For this experiment, I would like to have a small wonderland of my own. It would be empty and for the sake of this experiment, I would be alone. However, at any time I would like the option to leave and if I become too uncomfortable I would like to take breaks and sleep or request for the experiment to end. In addition, if Gray and Ranger need me, they are allowed to call me just like normal. My method would be I would tell Ranger/Gray I'm off to my wonderland and "fly away" to my secret place. There, I will start from scratch to build something elaborate of my own making.

Well, there are plenty of reasons to assume this won't work, and I would like to ask the original person if this should theoretically work before moving forward with this. If this experiment gets the green light and it fails, I think it would reflect poorly for parallel processing. If the experiment idea is rejected, then here's a perfect example of how not to gain parallel processing ability.

I'm glad I got that out of my system, I was worried I would forget. I'll provide another update once I get feedback. I am curious what others think- Is this too out there or is this reasonable? Do you think my system should develop other skills first before we even try something like this? Or do you think this may have some merit to it?

Edited by Shadow System

On 3/24/2020 at 11:21 PM, Shadow System said:

I am curious what others think- Is this too out there or is this reasonable? Do you think my system should develop other skills first before we even try something like this? Or do you think this may have some merit to it?

I can't help but think this is the wrong approach... If parallel processing is compared to vocality, I feel what you're trying to do is akin to hoping a young tulpa who has never spoken will next dictate an entire book. I read the conversation mentioned and had my own thoughts. If I were to approach this, I think there are a bunch of skills to work on before other things like hidden wonderland adventures can be achieved. Here's a list of things I think would need to develop first:

Spoiler

-A is fronting, while B is able to stay active, even when A is somewhat busy

-A and B are active all day

-There is a very stable and well established wonderland (however simple) that can be visualized easily by both A and B

-A and B easily take turns visualizing their POV in that wonderland

-A and B learn to view different POV at the same time in wonderland and can now do it easily

-A fronts while B stays active in wonderland, but within A's awareness

-A fronts while B is active in wonderland, but pays attention to something else for a short bit

-The length of time B can stay active unattended can be increased

I think the ability to stay active separately in wonderland depends on the ability for the non-fronter to maintain their own attention and awareness, and to think without interfering with the fronter. I like the idea of approaching these skills like early vocality, treating very small and maybe iffy results as success. I'd love for someone who can actually do this stuff to weigh in on how to progress.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log