Parallel Processing (Experiences & Practice) Megathread

Luminesce

I agree that this approach seems awfully "too good to be true". I'm personally skeptical of tulpa systems who claim to "naturally" parallel process, and I believe achieving something like parallel processing requires a lot of effort and the development of several skills over time. Both of those I spoke with reported having trained to either achieve or further develop their parallel processing abilities.

The reason I thought of this was because the whole idea behind the silent tulpa who can't speak after a year is mindset is the problem. By focusing on the mindset aspect, I thought maybe parallel processing is possible if you believe what insignificant small signs are parallel processing and roll with it. In this example, the idea is to suspend disbelief to allow for these small symptoms to possibly occur. If Gerodious creates any changes assume it's PP and wait for signs that something is developing.

I also am unsure if comparing parallel processing to vocality is the best parallel. So far trying to learn more about parallel processing feels a lot more like learning switching- having to doubt what you're doing, feeling like you're walking around in the dark, developing side skills that are requirements such as possession, trust, certain mindsets, etc, and even doubting if switching is even real. The only difference so far is less people claim to parallel process and I have had a harder time finding people who can do it.

I'm glad Gerodious started this conversation though, I think it helps illustrate our expectations of parallel processing training. I can link this to those people to see what they think, and if I hear anything back from them I'll update this thread.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to bring up this thread because I have a couple new ideas and I can focus on the training part for achieving parallel processing.

First, there's a question of if parallel processing boils down to elaborate multitasking. We're pretty bad at multitasking, so hopefully we're a decent candidate for attempting to achieve parallel processing. Both of my rough ideas assume that parallel processing can even be achieved by the slowest thinkers, and perhaps its even possible to do so without need of a "second position". I would like to try both of these methods to see if I make any progress, but both require training in other abilities we don't currently have.

The first method is parallel processing through utilizing multiple forms of communication. For this to work, the tulpa must speak using auditory imposition while the host deliberately ignores the tulpa's mindvoice. My hypothesis is forcing the tulpa to speak through auditory hallucinations and having no room to think will force the mind to create a way to allow a tulpa to essentially hide their initial thoughts from their host and still effectively communicate.

Since I don't want Cat to ignore me for a month, the first step would be to develop auditory imposition. Once that is achieved, then we can practice me only speaking through imposition and attempt to obscure my thoughts from Cat. This may take a long time, so I would like to give it a month or two (after we already have auditory imposition) and see if any progress is made. I believe one resource could be Abvieon's guide, but otherwise I don't think much in terms of other resources are needed.

The plus is my rough idea does not require a wonderland. The downside is I'm not sure if this logically makes any sense and I'm not sure what the confabulation risk is. I probably need some kind of test to verify that I can parallel process using complex thought and not raw emotion. In addition, this in of itself may not be enough to achieve parallel processing.

The second method is parallel processing through utilizing the wonderland. Another tulpamancer recommended to think of standing in wonderland assuming you can only see in first person and you have the same sensory experience of the world as if you were a singlet in the body. Like the first method, the host has to assume they can't hear their tulpa's initial thoughts and by doing so this forces the brain to give the tulpa a second channel of communication.

To pull this off, we would need to develop our visualization skills a lot. I would like to give this the same amount of time as the first method once we have more vivid visualization. While doing this method, I would like to assume we can go into "parallel processing mode" and have the option to turn that off. This applies to the other method as well, however I think it's more important to do it here.

Obviously, the main problem here is I'm not sure if the second method requires the first method to work or how to differentiate stray thoughts from "acceptable" thoughts. I'm also not sure if the second method is really part 2 of 2 to give you a separate mind cam and separate sensory experience while the first method is just the communication part. I believe tulpa's guide, Abvieon's guide, and possibly other resources on parallel processing would apply here.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

1 minute ago, Ranger said:

The first method is parallel processing through utilizing multiple forms of communication.

I just want to add that my systemmates can communicate just fine using tulpish while I am (or any one person) concurrently using mindvoice/talking. Tulpish is much more strongly tied to them than mindvoice is, I consider mindvoice one shared resource channel and tulpish is like a cable capable of carrying multiple signals. There has been crosstalk in tulpish which we could not duplicate with mindvoices. The third and much harder to achieve reliably for us anyway is imposed speech. It's so elusive to us after two and a half years, even after using it countless times, that mastering it seems just as elusive to newcomers as switching would be. It is seemingly an advanced skill. Additionally, the loudness, pitch, and tone have decreased to the point that it's no louder than mindvoice with the obvious distinction of it being spookily out of prethought without accompanying tulpish or mindvoice, but a free channel nonetheless.

One bonus channel pair is intrusive mindvoice/imposition. We have experianced concurrent mindvoice or imposition of the mysterious intrusive thoughts while using all other channels. It's rare but it did happen. I have not been able to develop this, as our objective is to supress intrusive thoughts and eliminate them.

(edited)

Oh wow, I made this thread, huh. I have a couple things similar to Ranger's that I want to say, but first I want to say in response to your "trying to hide a tulpa's initial thoughts" statement - my tulpas actually speak directly from the unconscious thoughts leading to what they say with nothing conscious usually traceable. As in, while a lot of stuff the (switched) fronter in our system may be saying to the others can have ~conscious thoughts leading up to what they're saying (that may be traced back thought-process wise), tulpas/switched out we have nothing but what we actually end up saying to trace back. And while I appreciate that a lot, it seems to come at the cost of it being hard if not impossible for my tulpas/me switched out to think of things that require complex thoughts or strong focus. We can "borrow" the conscious workspace as we call it to do that, normally the fronter is fully in charge of and associated with such conscious thoughts but technically any of us can utilize it at any time. To put what it's like in understandable terms though, the thoughts appear very similar to if the host had been thinking them. So it's often slightly redundant to ask a non-fronter to think of something complex like that, because when they have the fronter already was aware of the whole process leading to the result lol. (The most common example we always accidentally do is asking someone if they can remember something we can't - they have to use the same consciousness to try and remember as the fronter, which makes it mostly redundant to have them do it)

ANYWAYS. Coming from my posts in Pleeb's thread about parallel processing and the possibility that old reports of it could've come from how much more work older members put into tulpamancy: two explanations for apparent or "the experience of" parallel processing, aside from "just retroactively making it all up on the spot once the tulpa is active again".

First, multitasking. Multitasking as defined as the ability to rapidly and seamlessly switch between tasks at an efficiency where you're effectively doing multiple things at once. I believe this is a skill that could be trained (in this case, in tulpamancy-related activities), because a similar skill where multiple tasks are "combined into one" mentally can and must be trained in order to, say, play the piano with either hand playing a different staff (the top and bottom) of sheet music at the same time.

Spoiler

An example of this combining process in action, assuming you've not done it recently or are too naturally good at the concept, is to try rubbing your stomach in a circular motion and patting your head at the same time. Normally there's a brief moment of confusion or stalling before you can then do it fine - that stalling is your brain combining two different tasks into a single one. You can test again by switching to rubbing your head and patting your stomach (and not making circles with your patting hand, lol). Being unable to do it instantly to begin with is because it would be true parallel processing, which presumably the brain can't do using the same part of the brain for both tasks at least. Your brain has to turn multiple tasks into a single task, and then it performs that (more complex) single task. For a third random example, try moving your right hand up and down while moving your left hand left and right, I guess. You can make up as many as you want

Anyways, if we take for example... literally anything the host is normally doing in life as one task or bunch of tasks, and the intended "parallel processing" activity like wonderlanding with your tulpa as another task, it could be possible to train your ability to multitask these things to a point where you can consistently upkeep a pseudo-constant wonderlanding session while still providing adequate focus to your ongoing life activities. This is different from the "using different parts of your brain" concept like walking+talking+looking at your phone, because at a high level of proficiency, it would allow you to be effectively doing multiple tasks requiring focus or the same parts of the brain "at the same time".

And I'm way too lazy to do this, when I should be working on simply spending more than 5 minutes a day talking to my tulpas, so if anyone wants to see if this proposed skill works you'll have to try it out yourself. Sorry.

And the second method, actually treating that ability to "use different parts of your brain at the same time" as a developable skill. Because sure, you can be walking while talking to someone with you while checking the weather on your phone. But can you walk while talking to someone while checking the weather on your phone while imposing (or visualizing) your tulpa walking with you while counting seconds in your head? Probably not, but is it impossible? If not, then to what extent can this mental muscle be trained?

My proposal here is that it may be possible to reach a pseudo (yet effectively the case) "parallel processing" of say, visualizing yourself in your wonderland interacting with your tulpa, while performing any number of other activities in real life (or possibly even in your head, if you think of things to do at the same time lol). To some extent a lot of people can already do this, but it's usually focus-in-wonderland plus body-on-autopilot walking/showering/eating et cetera. Who says you can't have a level of focus on each activity, though? (And what if it's only two things at once, could your trained ability to "focus" on all these things at once compound as increased ability to split focus when on less activities?... just spitballing, here)

While it might be crossing into multitasking territory, take for example being in your wonderland interacting with your tulpa, while needing to participate in a one-way conversation in real life (like... ordering at a drive-through). Could you, with practice in this skill, be imagining a wonderland scenario, say something to your tulpa, then switch to speaking your order at the drive-through while the wonderlanding scenario continues to play out? I mean, my wonderland is boring and stationary, but suppose it's a wonderland-adventure. If you could learn to upkeep the visualization (and maybe immersion?) while speaking in real life (before probably moving focus back to the wonderland to continue conversation there) or doing other focus-requiring activities, that opens the door for a parallel processing-like experience, at least.

I know for example that my visualization gets put on hold when I switch to focusing on real life for a moment, but I feel very strongly that I could keep it up with practice (or perhaps if my visualization clarity was anything above "awful"). With imposition, I actually can maintain my focus on imposition while say focusing on talking to someone, pretty easily. Imposition feels easier and less "parallel process-y" than visualization/wonderland immersion though, lol.

These two skills would probably go hand-in-hand, but I still consider them separate "effectively parallel processing" candidates. The former is effective parallel processing but with rapid breaks/switching tasks, while the latter is truly parallel experiences but lacking in strong focus. And perhaps in practice they would go together much more intuitively than in theorizing to create an even more convincing experience.

... oh, and I mean, TRUE true parallel processing can still exist. But no ways of practicing it in the past have seemingly panned out, so I felt like introducing a new couple of possibilities.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

[Bear] Those are great ideas. I like the compromise approach a lot. The expectation would be progress in anything you're working on and the benefit would be a tulpa that is easier to keep active say in second position or via co-fronting or imposition or wonderland form.

The only question I have is if the tulpamancer just doesn't like doing this at all. I've heard others say that their wonderland/imposition is so awful or even negative or scary and full of intrusive thoughtforms. It's not hard for me to imagine that because we had our share of just awful nightmarish thoughtforms that were pretty traumatic in and of themselves. 

With a distaste or inability to continue visualization or imposition, say, what could they do?

I may be overthinking this, but I don't want to exclude the scenario that the host loves their tulpa but hates visual sruff. It still seems like a derailment of your points to say that, but I'm just thinking more than anything here.

If it doesn't apply here, just move on and we'll approach that later.

Edited by SheShe

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 1:22 PM, Bear said:

I just want to add that my systemmates can communicate just fine using tulpish while I am (or any one person) concurrently using mindvoice/talking. Tulpish is much more strongly tied to them than mindvoice is, I consider mindvoice one shared resource channel and tulpish is like a cable capable of carrying multiple signals.

I experience the same sort of thing.  Tulpish and other forms of non-vocalized thought can be pushed around in my mind regardless of where the focus of the front is. I am not sure how how many different "channels" of tulpish my brain can support as I only have two tulpas. However, it does not follow the rules of the "singular shared resource" that the mindvoice has.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, Luminesce said:

Developing multitasking vs developing "using different parts of your brain at the same time"

I would say that the latter would be more realistically achievable than the former. However, I believe that the way you are approaching this is still from a modern mindset, and doesn't really get to the heart of what the "old day" tulpamancers were doing. Back in the 2011-2013 times there was no discussion about the limits of multitasking in the human brain. There was no discussion about how much certain parts of the brain could do what.  There were very little citations to cognitive psychology, or discussion about it in general.

Instead, the old tulpamancers simply treated their tulpa as a separate consciousness and forced. They did not think about what they were doing with their brain as they did it. They simply noticed the results as they came naturally.

If I were to train people to parallel process, I would go about it differently.  My theory would be to work from the ground up. Just as people start visualizing with simple forms and flashes of images, I believe that one should focus on the basics of parallel processing in their simplest form first. They should focus on the achievable and build upwards from there as they gain competence.

However, this presents a bit of a problem as I do not know what the most basic form of "parallel processing" is. There are many things that I think could fit under the umbrella term of parallel processing, however this is a highly debatable subject and I am not sure where the majority of tulpamancers stand on it.

So, I will present a few ideas for what I think could be the most simple form of parallel processing, and then people can discuss them:

1. The simplest form of parallel processing is for the tulpa and host to feel different emotions simultaneously.  For example, the tulpa and the host are paying attention to the front, and the host clicks on a scary image.  The host reacts with horror and the tulpa reacts with delight.  Two separate entities individually processing their emotions at the same time.
  2. The simplest form of parallel processing is for the tulpa and host to have non-vocalized thoughts that affect the mind as a whole simultaneously.  This would be similar to the idea of "multiple channels of tulpish" described above. The host puts out non-mindvoice thoughts and the tulpa puts out non-mindvoice thoughts that are different at the same time. Both thoughts are felt by both parties and they affect the mind as a whole.
  3. The simplest form of parallel processing is to do somewhat complex tasks simultaneously, but only for a split second.  For example, the person in front is having a conversation with another person in the physical world. The person in the wonderland splits a chair in half.  The person in front knows the chair was split as it is cut, and can see the memory of it being cut in good detail. The person in back did this while the person in front was speaking. The person in front, when visualizing the chair later, sees it clearly as two halves.

I totally agree obviously.

Though we've discussed this before, I'm quoting this with permission from personal messages to rethink the concepts:

On 8/23/2020 at 6:12 AM, solarchariot said:

...there is evidence for parallel processing. Further, the evidence for this suggest that personality may be much more fluidly dynamic than most people want to admit- such as there can one personality thinking it's independent and whole, and yet split to make two separate personalities- that each feel equally whole. With your discussion of merging, and the others here, and reflecting my own- that can go the other way- and my experience suggests that one can merge and have a new personality identity, and yet the others still exist independently.

Michael Gazzainiga, author of the book 'who's in charge...' offers the first bit of this evidence while talking about split-brain patients, where they cut out the corpus callosom, and the left and right hemispheres became two distinct personalities. He talks a good deal about these, but he has more evidence from the studies which is in another book about how they don't experience being separated- they feel as whole as ever. That's odd, given what people think they know about personalities. Hoffman in a video goes further with this idea in this video, references gazziniga, as they're friends. (I guess professors get to talk with other professors?) 🙂 I linked his video in this email. On listening to this, I think some of us here at Tulpa Info are on the leading edge of consciousness exploration.

There is an article in scientific american of all places, discussing how multiple personality might lead to understanding life as we know it. Which reflects what Hoffman is saying. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/could-multiple-personality-disorder-explain-life-the-universe-and-everything/ 

So, anyway, if you explore this and find it supports your parallel processing ideas and want to share it...

I might get around to doing it on my side. It doesn't really fit in my progress report, and i don't want to start a new thread on this topic...

But then, even scientists are bothered by the 80 milisecond to three second time delay in becoming consciously aware of what we decided. That doesn't fit our conscious experience, so it's dismissed. (That's discussed in 'who's in charge,' too.)

On 8/23/2020 at 6:12 AM, solarchariot said:

50 minutes ago, solarchariot said:

... Seriously, if cutting the two hemispheres results in two separate personalities that perceive no disruption in being isn't evidence for parallel processing, I am not sure what else can convince a person. And the evidence of multiple personality suggest similar- they're not sleeping till they're fronting- They're functioning all the time. Back to the split brain before being split- those two personalities are present, and they help sort information- there's the 80 millisecond thing. In an fMRI, the technician can tell the subject what they will decide before they are consciously aware of having made a decision. The decision is made, and then pushed into the 'conscious' experience. Left hemisphere is dominant- and always offers an explanation for decisions- but the right hemisphere could have actually made the decision. In split brain studies- they will give instruction to the right hemisphere to do a task. The left brain doesn't know the instructions. When the left brain is ask 'what are you doing' it always gives an answer, and the answer is always wrong...

The right hemisphere tends to be more accurate. (That's also in the Gazainiga books.) PTSD response, the fight or flight, the thing that occurs before 'conscious awareness' is this- part of the brain responded, or a personality that is hyper-vigilant 'hijacked' the amygdala and took over... Person later says- "I blacked out." or "I don't know why I did that..." (Which in the study of the split brain, it's curious to note that the left brain responses to odd behavior never included "I don't know why I did that."

That said, it seems like the neuroscientist are arguing you can't get two personalities from one. That's referenced in 'who's in charge' and Gazinga argues for multi modal brain centers all working in parallel-processing whatever it is they process- and that goes through a filter, through one brain module and then is uploaded into consciousness... I don't recall the page number- but that is further, very clear evidence of parallel processing from a very strict 'brain' is the only thing, materialistic perspective. Gaziniga is also clear, he is a materialist and thinks consciousness is an illusion. I do not concur.

What got me interested here is the notion that before the filter into a single linear consious experience, there may be any number of parallel processes going on simultaneously behind that filter. This makes a lot more sense to me in that it seems like we're spoon fed consiousness through a single point which limits the experience. Only through a lot of hard work and subtle cues can I get things like tulpish to slip past that filter, thereby having multiple channels. There might be brain protocols which dissallow full on 2x100% consiousness, but the experience of that is still possible with effort. I am sure I am experiencing multiple thought groups simultaneously, but there are only specific channels they can reach me on. Perhaps wonderland is connected through that filter, on their side (the subconsious perhaps) parallel processing is common, on the consious side we only have a subset of that.

These are just my thoughts.

I love this stuff bear, and pushed an article on Medium if anyone here is interested, that basically summarizes the above, but also I share some of my experience with mind not previously disclosed here. Maybe it's not relevant. Maybe I am off target completely. I simply find congruence with some of the people I mention in the post. I minimally discuss tulpamancy. I am grateful for our dialogue.

https://medium.com/@solarchariot/the-blue-light-of-being-76a8bd03f22f?sk=190d002dece3922145478c4cc0a2e637

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone interested in joining a PM group to discuss parallel processing in a private, small-group manner? Respond here or PM us @JGC

(Bumping this thread by putting this here: it's tangentially related, and because of the new forum software, it's hard to find this thread and people might not have even known it existed.)

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread