Parallel Processing (Experiences & Practice) Megathread

Luminesce

When Asmask brought up perception in wonderland, I realized having two perspectives at the same time might make more sense if two headmates are switched-in at the same time.

I know having two people switched-in at the same time is possible. Gray and I did it once and it was chaotic. I don't want to try this yet because I am slowly building up my switching skills and I don't want to try breaking the switching front without more practice, but if anyone does try this let me know.

Once two of you are switched-in, try having one wonderland screen that is split in half and give each half to each headmate. Then... Seperate the halves? I think that's the next step...?

I would be curious if someone could get as far as maintaining a split screen with two switched-in at the same time.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ranger said:

I would be curious if someone could get as far as maintaining a split screen with two switched-in at the same time.

Yes.

Two switched in would be co-fronting with varying degrees of association.

Two switched out and immersed in mindspace would be two separate points of view with two different sets of experiences, sure, we do four all day with varying degrees of activity. I spoke about this here.

maintaining 2 or more perspectives with visualization or imposition doesn't require PP; you can do it simply by combining the multiple perspectives into 1 thought process

in real life, most people have 2 eyes which they can see out of. this results in them seeing 2 slightly different images of the world at the same time. you can do this in wonderland too. from there, it is simply a matter of moving your mind's eyes farther apart from each other and/or rotating them. now, it starts out pretty difficult to do this, but by doing it gradually you can slowly build up the skills and eventually you can move the perspectives totally independent of each other, and using the same trick again you can learn to hold even more perspectives at once. that is how I learned to do it anyway

I don't find that fronting changes anything

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I find whenever we do the split perspective, Gray and I can do limited things. If Gray is opening a wonderland door, I am either doing nothing (frozen) or doing some basic action like banging on the door. I'm not sure if that's the effect of boiling 2 tasks into one or it's just a sign of weak processing skills...

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• 3 months later...

I wanted to chime in on this thread since we're a really old system that's been forcing since the first lucid dreaming threads and have numerous experiences that others would probably dictate as "parallel processing."

First, I kind of don't like the term because it makes it sound like you're doing two things at once which are never truly capable of occurring beyond your immediate control. More apt might be "automatic processing" or something along those lines.

I think the reason we're so good at it is because I've been narrating for a long, long time. Pretty much all of my thoughts include my tulpas within my "sphere of thought" so to speak, like they're constantly on the back burner or something and can chime in at any moment. I never really think anything without feeling the "presence" of my tulpa. The only exception might be when I'm concentrating really hard, like talking and driving at the same time or something.

I'd say that there is already proof that it exists. The cold proof would be if people ever experience tulpa-ish thoughts that are beyond their control, as if they were occurring automatically. I'd hate to mention it, but that's exactly the case with schizophrenia. I might suffer from a form of this, because since childhood I've had thoughts seemingly in other people's voices that I can't shut out after I talk to them. The best way I can describe it is their emotional energy is present in my mind and this constantly triggers thoughts in their voice, even when I'm trying to put them out of my mind. In my opinion, this is parallel processing in a form by definition, and according to our somewhat loose definition of tulpas, these might even qualify as proto-tulpas of a sort.

Experiences

My tulpa regularly rips away control of my hand. Basically the way it is, is I'll be thinking or even reading something, and she'll just twitch a finger on either hand which signals yes/no/maybe if she agrees or so on. Sometimes she'll do that to indicate there's a point she wants to make. Even as my direct attention drifts to thinking/reading/writing, random twitches will just come through. She always mixes up the finger/motion to keep me from thinking I'm the one that caused it. From what I understand, the current understanding of parallel processing holds that this should be impossible unless I'm directly trying to feel/allow possession. Our current understanding of parallel processing seems to be that tulpas need to be manually animated in their every thought and feeling through the hosts' direct attention, but I don't believe that is the case.

Another form of parallel processing seems to be about listening to music and so on. I'll pretty much constantly see my tulpa dancing to whatever music in my minds eye. The best way I can describe it would probably be like driving. With our current definition, driving and talking is a form of "multitasking," but I think that's semantically misleading. You never truly drive and talk at the same time, they just both happen automatically depending on how experienced you are. You're not driving and talking in parallel except in the technical definition which is useful for describing it, you're actually driving automatically while talking.

I kind of experience a similar thing with my tulpa. When I'm thinking about stuff or listening to music or whatever else would qualify us for parallel processing, if I do something irritating I'll just sort of become aware of the sensation of irritated thoughts coming from my tulpa, or of her dancing or whatever. I honestly can't block it out, almost like the feeling of guilt when it is gripping your mind hard. Then my attention goes back, and I kind of just process the minute's worth of thoughts my tulpa was directing at me or whatever, seemingly in a burst of feeling, explanation, and memory.

The last interesting experience I'd like to share is with possession. We did a test where I tried to clench my hand while she tried to open it. Of course, it's impossible to say for sure that I'm not subconsciously allowing her to win, but it really seems like both the opening and closing muscles were happening at the same time, because it hurt the back of my hand for a while. Also she cleverly started using the back of my forearm muscles as additional leverage.

I think the final nail in the coffin is experience of people fighting for control over their physical body. They're called "split brain patients" and there are even some cases where it seems to happen without surgery, in this case it's called "alien hand syndrome." This shows that memories and thought can for sure be split through the brain as separate entities. There is also a long and elaborate history of people referring to this as "demonic possession."

All that being said, I think much of the misunderstanding comes from tulpa's time in the wonderland. My tulpas also occasionally come to me with extremely bizarre experiences from the wonderland, both inside dreams and in the waking world. Numerous times my tulpa has told me about an entire backstory they lived in the wonderland (sometimes covering very long periods of time), often with an alternate look/appearance other than her usual. In that regard, the ideas about memory-jumping or filling in are probably true, but it seems like there are multiple definitions of post-processing are going around, and this is just one of them.

I noticed with my other tulpas that I'll have more experiences of post-processing the more I interact with them. It actually seems like I'm just noticing what they're doing more and more through a conscious effort of recognition. I think the way it works is your tulpa dwells constantly in short-term memory when you become accustomed to interacting with them, and this gives them a sense of constant emotional persistence that you start to recognize automatically through a habit multitasking, like driving. The visual form of this would be "tetris effect." I also get tetris effect pretty hard where if I play a certain game too long I start physically hallucinating it. By definition, "tetris effect" is also post processing, because it is a stream of thoughts or emotions that happen alongside your main process of consciousness, stemming from a group of emotions or a behavior. I would describe post-processing as the tulpa form of tetris effect.

I would lastly like to note that I'm an INFJ. Introspective feelings are exactly my specialty. I think that people that are deaf to post-processing are likely just XSXX (sensing) or XXTX (thinking), which makes it hard for them to make a habit recognizing and discerning automatic feeling-thoughts stemming from short-term memory or the subconscious.

edit: My tulpa wasn't really happy with what I said about her time in the wonderland as being memory jumping/filling in, and we decided to do another test with a form of post processing we've had for a while. She's able to wake me up in my sleep pretty reliably, and did this last night several times to prove she was right. I'm not really sure how sleeping/wonderland time works with post processing, especially with the large jumps in time (sometimes months or years in a single day), but it seems important to my tulpa that it's treated as being as real as any host dreaming experience.

Secondly I wanted to add something about reverse-forcing- it's definitely possible and can be extremely useful. Basically, the tulpa just has to watch the hosts' attention and get used to reading their thoughts and attention quickly. Then, you basically just grab their attention by any means, and as soon as their attention fixates on you for a moment, you reinforce this behavior by shooting them a knowing look, feelings of love, saying "ay that was me" or so on. It might feel like nagging, manipulation, or bullying, but if the host is fine with it then don't hold back by any means. You can also throw in possession or anything else you need to keep their attention fixated on you. You then keep reinforcing this behavior until they habitually check in on you every few seconds.

edit: After giving this some more thought we decided that there are two modes of dreaming, and we call them Layer 1 and Layer 2 dreams. Layer 1 dreams are where you're experiencing it in classic dream time and you can see this from meat space (like a dog's legs twitching when they sleep and so on), and Layer 2 dreams account for experiences of time warping possibly in both hosts and tulpas. Layer 2 dreams might carry a lot more meaning for tulpas since dreams are the realm of their entire corporeal being, but we've decided that it's impossible to say whether these experiences are real or not because what is real is at best a relative definition to the one experiencing it. Layer 2 dreams are basically your mind having long stories/memories and then you adopt them all at once. I think the mind is optimized to create and load these memories when you're dreaming, and the mind is extremely good at piecing it all together chronically speaking. I'm not sure to what extent hosts or the active dreamer experiences these, or how it works together with Layer 1 dreams in the meat-space timeline. For example, all dreams could start out as Layer 2, then transition to Layer 1, or go in and out, and so on.

Edited by hydrix

On 2/5/2021 at 4:03 PM, hydrix said:

More apt might be "automatic processing" or something along those lines.

I like it!

I never really think anything without feeling the "presence" of my tulpa. The only exception might be when I'm concentrating really hard, like talking and driving at the same time or something.

Even then they're there, because Ashley has interrupted my concentration many times and sometimes they interrupt me to show me a better way to do something. How would they know? They pay attention to subtlety that I simply don't.

My tulpa regularly rips away control of my hand.

This happened maybe twice and I didn't like it. The next closest thing is them emotionally bleeding. Especially when they're disagreeing with me and they're basically guilting me except they're genuinely hurt, (or uncontrollably laughing), so I take a step back and pay attention. They wouldn't wrench control from me, it's considered a no-no in here.

You're not driving and talking in parallel except in the technical definition which is useful for describing it, you're actually driving automatically while talking.

Yep, we call it BodyOS and we trained it to do basically everything from driving to the dishes and we don't have to pay attention to it.

and as soon as their attention fixates on you for a moment, you reinforce this behavior by shooting them a knowing look...

This is a really good practice.

We play strategy type games together and they've played without me. I can clearly follow who thought of what and they communicate like a team. Most of the communication is tulpish or pure thought. They can play for hours without any input from me of course. I enjoy it more through them, even games I don't even personally want to play anymore.

I finally experienced time-skipping in a dream (layer 2 dreaming) which I mentioned in the last post. I was going to a "car" made out of lockers with wheels with my brother, then before I knew it we were driving it through the hallways of school. I noticed immediately, and said to my brother "are we dreaming? I don't remember getting here. Try fall, 3 2 1 fall fall fall fall fall" and we clipped through the ground and managed to escape the school.

This kind of explains two things for me. One it shows that dreams skip forward in time a lot and you phase in and out of scenes with time skips in between them.

Second, it shows that the dream is capable of controlling time for different entities and will imply a backstory all at once to them. I never said we were trying to escape the school- that was implied to me the instant we got there.

This seems to imply that the dreams are treating tulpas and hosts with the same level of dignity- as soon as I recognize my tulpa in the dream, it basically catches her up to the moment and implies a whole lot of backstory to them at once. It doesn't treat them as a weird abstract collection of thoughts and experiences because it allows tulpas themselves the gift of understanding their experience subjectively and in the moment as sentient creatures. Sometimes these time skips are hours, sometimes its years. However, in my opinion whether these experiences should be treated as real is a matter of personal taste.

I would also argue it's a sort of soft proof that tulpas and hosts are the same- because even after we're awake my tulpa can recall the dream up to the moment of awakening for the entire time we're together and living in the moment. Even in the wonderland, they have their own subjective experience in the way we would describe as sentience. It shows that tulpas can also dream and the subconscious treats them as it would we ourselves, and this is the last thing that really separated us as host and tulpa.

I theorize that this mechanic revolves around the one fronting or whoever it views as the active dreamer. It might be possible that tulpas front for so long that they start dreaming as the main fronter, then the second they recognize their host in the dream, the host by definition has become the tulpa.

Lastly, I don't think we're ever truly awake or asleep in the sense that the two are separate states of sentience/consciousness. I'm capable of persisting my dreams for a few extra minutes and then drifting back into sleep and picking up where I left off. I've taken the last whispers of an entity in a dream as I awoke and made them a waking tulpa. The tulpas in the waking world are the same as the ones in the dreams.

Edited by hydrix

On 2/12/2021 at 11:50 PM, hydrix said:

It might be possible that tulpas front for so long that they start dreaming as the main fronter

Yep even just a week in our case.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:50 PM, hydrix said:

I'm capable of persisting my dreams for a few extra minutes

Hypnopompic. I've done this too. My headmates have also been in countless dreams as them, clearly them, we remember and identify with everything except inhibitions are non-existent and lewd stuff often happens between us and between them.