Sign in to follow this  
Pleeb

How many posts per page do you want?

How many posts per page do you want?  

61 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many posts per page do you want?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/13/20 at 05:00 AM

With MyBB, the posts per page was tied to the user profile.  Unfortunately, due to the URL structure of Invision Community's software, they don't seem to support individual posts per page.  The rationale comes from Invision Community's community forums:

If one of those members tries to send a link to another member with a different setting by copying the link in their address bar, it won't work, and I have certainly gotten complaints about this issue in the past. There really isn't a clean way to deal with this problem except to do what Invision did, and remove the feature.

(Source)

I'm going to see if there any any plugins to perhaps turn posts per page into a per forum value, so maybe boards like Forum Games will allow it, but if I cannot, I figured the best option is to ask the community how many posts per page they would like to have.  Currently it's set to 10 which was the mybb default

(I actually favor 10 anyway, it's a nice base number so page 4 will have posts 40+)

22 minutes ago, Breloomancer said:

why is there no option to vote for 10 posts per page?

I didn't think of it. Added!

Posted (edited)

10 is what we've had as default for the past 8 years as far as I know, though it's pretty lame all the site preferences are gone now so people can't just use their preference. But yeah anything other than 10 feels totally unnatural/too long for me, and it also throws off references to "pages" throughout the forum's history

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

I would much rather stick with the 25 the forum has now or have 50 posts per page then go back to 10. I voted for 75 because I think 100 is too much for the average thread, but even for regular threads 10 posts per page is a pain for me.

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love Hippos! I also like forum games and chatting about stuff.

My other head-mates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Chat | Yay!

I think it should be related to amount written. If someone expounds a lot, well- ten is good. If it's just quick one line bantering, well 25 is okay... I might tolerate more on LOTPW.

Posted (edited)

The problem is we no longer have the option for every member to choose their own posts per page, since on this software pages are tied to thread URLs. Literally anything above 10 starts to feel like too much to me, it gets harder to follow evolving threads (PRs or just a large discussion thread), or to reference parts of them later. 10 is undoubtedly the best baseline posts per page to work with, preferences like 100 being easily divisible by it and all.

Problem is, the option to change your preference is gone, and I don't think anyone who used a number other than 10 is going to be happy with 10 - and the majority, who used the default of 10, aren't going to like anything much past 15-20. I personally couldn't stand anything above 20 (which yes, means I can't stand the current 25, it's kind of hurting my immersion in the forum post-migration on non-LOTPW threads), so I'm really pushing for finding a plugin or some such way to rework how the new page system works ("Pages" are tied to URLs now) and get user preferences back, because I'm as willing to force people used to 100-per-page to use 10 as I am to use 100 myself.

Edit: Y'know, small note. I don't want to discriminate but, I think a lot of people who want more posts per page are used to browsing almost entirely Forum Games and maybe Lounge threads, and they have on-topic threads less in mind. I could find a way to get used to 100 per page in Last One To Post Wins, but for normal discussion threads, more than 15 (which is a weird number and I'd prefer 10) starts to bother me.

That said.. is there maybe possibly a way to set posts per page to 50 or so for the Forum Games board and to 10 for like General Discussion/Q&A, etc.? That'd be a less preferable but better than an averaged # compromise backup plan if we can't get user-chosen preferences back

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.