Embeds are out of control

Luminesce

Question

First of all, there's no settings to control your embedded media sizes (except images, but the way to do it - holding Ctrl and right clicking - is neither very apparent nor, seemingly, possible on mobile). So like, that's no good already, but now that I've taken a look at the Let's Discuss Video Games thread, I see there's other types of embeds that are somehow several times as bad. I took an example picture of what a youtube embed looked like in that thread (for posterity's sake if it's fixed), but the embedded Reddit thread at the top wouldn't fit in THREE screencaps if I tried, lol. I just checked and it's actually four full screens' worths of space, on a 1920x1080 monitor. Here's the Youtube vid though:

(Again, note this is an entire 1920x1080 monitor; the screenspace this embed takes is downright intimidating)

SK9U4tj.png

So basically, we need some settings for embeds (mainly videos), and we should probably disable page embeds for Reddit posts and basically all other sites, just sticking to the basics like Youtube and images.

If we can't do that (youtube embed sizes), alternatively you could just shrink the default embed size down to something more reasonable, like 800x460 or whatever the ratio is. But the Reddit embed is not only totally pointless (why would we need to embed reddit threads?), but also waaaaaaaaay too big.

Oh, and as you see in Flandre's post on that page, old URLs to Youtube videos (and probably anything else that embeds) are still automatically embedding in full, as opposed to being links with text. ie instead of link to video, we get 

and then, if we happened to actually embed the video afterwards for whatever reason, we get another one right after the broken [video=youtube ] thing. This auto-embedding problem removes all sorts of tact that's been used on the forum for years and would be very, very nice to fix. I think it'll reflect kind of poorly (I'd get the impression a forum was old and broken as a newcomer) on the forum if it's not fixed, anyways.

Edit: This is a personal opinion, but, if no other choice is available I'd almost prefer to remove video embeds entirely - more reasonably only the automatic embedding, retaining an option TO embed, if that's possible? - rather than have those embedded videos, no matter how small, completely breaking the flow of every single paragraph/line of text that's ever linked to a video. When only intending a link (ex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Esz3S3FL0) it's annoying, but when writing the link into text perhaps as an optional example of something, it's incredibly annoying (note I'm referring to all cases of Youtube linking in the past 8 years and their conversion into exclusively embeds now, links post-migration are fine aside from being massive)

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

(edited)

This is still a pretty big and annoying problem, ALL previous text links (that could've been embeds) like this were converted into embeds, which not only deletes the text describing/linking to them but also completely breaks flow, like so: https://community.tulpa.info/topic/14943-what-is-this-thing-in-my-head/?do=findComment&comment=239660

I don't know if we'll be able to salvage the text that used to exist (in that example, it was "a couple of videos"), but at least removing the embeds and just making them URLs like "a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4GqnQ06GBM of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gfkluwgfww" would be a better workaround. Not really good enough IMO, but how it is right now isn't okay at all either. Basically every use of <url=asdf> in a post ever made on the forum that could embed is now a mess. And my system alone must've done that at least 50 times.

Edited by Luminesce

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

@Luminesce Do you get anything like this, to cancel the embed?

image.png.54e5962bd5a83f9e2eaf18f1cdd66bbc.png

Does it revert?

I can do more testing after work and file a bug report if not.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

(Posting what I said on Discord for completeness' sake)

Everything post-migration is fine, you can cancel embeds and also link within text like <url=thelink>video</url> used to work

The only problems are existing <url=> tags pre-migration that got converted into full embeds as if they were <video> tags

Also applies occasionally to other links like I think twitter, but that's like 1% of the occurrences at best

Existing examples I provided in the thread are still relevant

Twitter embed example (this is rare though): https://community.tulpa.info/topic/10494-lets-discuss-video-games/page/41/#comments

And then Flan's post as a Youtube example below it: https://community.tulpa.info/topic/10494-lets-discuss-video-games/?do=findComment&comment=272556

(edited)

Related but different problem (with possibly the same sort of solution), old [hidden]stuff[/hidden] tags are also broken, EG https://community.tulpa.info/topic/9494-chat-thread/?do=findComment&comment=274418

IIRC old spoiler tags became hidden tags on this forum, but old hidden tags simply got un-hidden (and in many cases probably still fill up pages, like reviews of Submissions) and would be best to also convert into the new hidden tags

Edited by Luminesce

I have an update I figured out recently.

While I can't double click on a video and resize it, I can use the YouTube embed feature to shrink video embeds. I got it working on my phone and it works here too:

image.png.b6a0c1f5c8bdc7410162f689a7818824.png

image.png.98d50761a4f78b25bb6959dab747c69b.png

(This video was set to 500 width and 281 height manually)

The only downside is it doesn't do this conversion automatically to keep the aspect ratio. Otherwise, you actually have a lot of settings you can play around with. Aside from trolling people with a thumbnail, you can also set these to auto play and completely ignore automatic embed rules... which could be very annoying.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread