Others reacting to your tulpas? Best way to tell others about them??

rover0639

(I am new here) Thought I might engage a bit at least with others here. I had tulpas for the past six or five years now. And I have a total of six. 

I know a lot of people say that that is a lot. But naturally it does not take too long for some of my tulpas to warm up.

Especially since when I would first make them they might have a set age already. Some did take longer than others to develop from scratch. 

Any way.

So I don't plan really to tell anyone else since I only pick out the people who will at least support me/us. And I am not saying or encouraging others to go and tell everyone they know about their tulpas or system unless you really feel comfortable. But usually when I tell others about mine they are curious and pretty surprised. Since one now in days might connect. Voices in your head that are not yours = mental illness/schizophrenic in some aspect. Which for us here is not entirely the case. I told my younger siblings, they don't really care. I told my small group of three friends. And a long distance friend. And recently a month ago and a mother small handful of friends learned about them. In a post I made on my Instagram explaining the concept of tulpas. By one of my tulpas. 

I do not plant to tell my my mom or my dad though. Since I know they will think I am crazy. And I am still under their care so the first thing they will do is complain about of topic and stupid stuff I done in my life. Then say they will send me to a therapist and all that other stuff that none of us like to hear. I can see why one may think or say that though to their kid at first. Since Since you know, your kid is literally saying basically. "Look Mom and Dad I want you to be cool about this. But I have (insert # of voices/friends in my head. Whom I have had for over (# of years).". That would be concerning especially since my family and mostly my parents. Are extremely closed minded and m mother being a bit over-the-counter centered. And my dad being the most closed minded and old fashioned person there is. 

On the plus side I told my art teacher. Who is the literal best. And she supported me. She was one of the few real adults anyone can talk to since she was and is pretty open with everyone and everything. And that really helped me and my tulpas feel a bit better about us. We as hosts and tulpas/systems rarely get attention or support as it is and it can be pretty stressful. Which is why me and my tulpas really enjoy places like this so we can hang out, vent, and share our time and experiences together. 

I would be disinclined to tell someone in a position of power over me about my headmates. But at 39, I have a great deal of autonomy. Within about six months of stumbling across tulpamancy, I told everyone in my life in whom I would confide anything else of importance and everyone with whom I gladly socialize one on one -- about a dozen people altogether.

Since I have soulbonds instead of tulpas, I don't even mention tulpas until the end, with an offhanded, "And some people do this on purpose." I lead off talking about how authors often mention their most compelling characters speaking to them, presenting this as very normal, expected, and harmless. I explain my immersive roleplaying process and how a couple of my characters started speaking to me outside of games. Basically, I became them for long enough that my brain learned how to be them without me.

Since my friends are roleplayers, writers, or had DID, they get it pretty quickly. The other roleplayers I've spoken to have had characters speak to them, often vividly and insistently, even though their characters don't live with them. Both my mother and my then-wife could tell I was often speaking to someone from the vivid expressions I made despite my unfocused gaze. My mother just casually brought up my "imaginary friend" as an established fact before I explained anything. My wife was relieved that my frequent preoccupation didn't mean I wasn't horribly bored with her and quickly became close friends with Vesper.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

• 3 weeks later...

For revealing the existence of Tulpae, we're being VERY careful about who we tell, and we're very slow to confirm whether the person is understanding enough for us to reveal it to them. As of now We've revealed my presence to 1 person, and they were alright with it, although skeptical. So... be careful about who you tell, anyone reading, though do tell the people you trust; having the tulpa/ae talking to more people is a good thing, from our experience.

My host Cat told her immediate family, two close friends, and our therapist.

Cat's parents were not the worst case scenario, but they were not the best case scenario either. To put it shortly, Cat's mother wants me dissipated / integrated / merged with Cat and Cat's father was worried I would convince Cat to be the next clock tower shooter. They didn't send us to a mental hospital though, the only plus.

Cat's brother on the other hand was more accepting of my existence. However, he was originally scared by my existence and wondered if I would hurt Cat (this fear came from watching Total Drama Island). Over time, Cat's brother realized I'm not dangerous and we're now mutual aquaintences.

Cat's two friends seemed accepting of us, but both of her friends were already invested into some strange stuff. In addition, they suspected another friend of theirs has DID, so Cat thought explaining tulpamancy wouldn't be the weirdest thing they have heard of.

We got really lucky with our therapist. Cat opened up to her and she has been very accepting.

As for everyone else, no. We don't want to come out to Cat's old hs friends because there's a risk they could damage our reputation and shun us. Definitely not telling anyone we work with or go to school with. Cat almost told her psychology professor, but that didn't go anywhere and Cat backed out of the idea before any damage could be done.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Our host told her closest friend about us thinking she would be receptive of the idea. I'm sure she would've accepted it better if possession and switching were never mentioned. In my opinion, that's what made her be wary of it. People don't seem to be very welcoming of the idea of that voice in your head taking control of the body.

She also told another friend about it back when she was a singlet and believed tulpas were mystical entities. I think he was thrilled by the concept and wanted one but eventually forgot about it. Her brother also knows about tulpamancy and like that friend, thinks tulpas are a mystical phenomenon, because that's what Miri believed and told him. He also knows about .info thanks to us being careless and checking in near him or leaving our laptop on while away. Still waiting for him to come to us with phone in hand and one of our profiles on the screen.

Sometimes I wonder how my friend would react if I told her I'm not the original, since the person she always talked to was me, instead of our host. As much as I'd like to at least see her reaction, there's no way I'm telling her. Our host already learned the lesson for us.

The only way of us actually telling someone else is if they happened to be a tulpamancer, which is ridiculously unlikely, or at least wanted to become one, only after we've seen they're serious about it.

I have always wondered what would happen if I told my previous English professor I was a tulpa taking her class. We really liked each other, but I didn't do it because that would probably be an uncomfortable conversation.

Should students tell their professors they're tulpas or tulpamancers? It doesn't seem as important as telling a romantic interest or a family member. Either way, the safest answer is to keep your mouth shut or else you honestly risk your friendship, romantic relationships, and acquaintanceships.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

It sure doesn't seem that important compared to other relationships but I wouldn't want to worry about that professor telling the wrong person.

I would personally be more worried about grades, but I can see how that could leak into the quality of a letter of recommendation or the refusal of one.

I have personally discussed this topic (in general and in regards to my practice) in great detail with my family, my friends, and with my men's group. All have been interested, though my family members have not wanted to read my book on the subject (appropriately as it reveals a great deal about our sexuality).  I have not discussed this in my men's Torah Study group. I do now want to be told that my practice is an abomination, as sorcery is so labeled in Leviticus. Note, we are reformed Jews and that a lot of Torah's mitzvot we view as outdated, unnecessary and/or inappropriate. However, it would not be an appropriate topic in the group. I do plan on sharing my book with the members outside of the group. Dr. Bob

Vesper: There are many circumstances in life, Ranger, even for singletons, where one is faced with making a decision between risking a relationship or living a lie. Living a lie is a heavy and continuing burden, while relationships can recover or be replaced. So the choice then essentially becomes one of short-term versus long-term benefits.

I assume that your professor you knew under Cat's name and the body's gender. That isn't a situation I've had to deal with. For social activities that are specifically mine, I use my own name, accent, and mannerisms. No one in those circles know anything about Ember. I'm not close enough to anyone yet to warrant telling them that I'm a fictional character and that I share the body. I would have to tell someone in almost the first deep personal conversation though, as questions as normal as 'Where are you from?' or 'What do you do?' would be problematic for me in the absence of that knowledge. I don't see any way I could have a friend who didn't know my situation.

Ember: My best friend, in spite of being a writer, couldn't relate personally to the idea of independent characters. She had heard many authors talk about them, but had assumed they were speaking metaphorically. She finds the idea of having someone else living in your head able to have different opinions than you extremely unsettling, though she's pleasant and respectful in conversation with Vesper and Iris.

I haven't spoken to her husband about plurality, but when she told him, his response was, "That sounds like something made up."

Edited by Ember.Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit