Others reacting to your tulpas? Best way to tell others about them??

rover0639

There was a Reddit thread (can't remember what it was called) that was about one host who had her tulpa join as an alt account with the cover she was a different person. It seemed to work for a long time. However, one of the hosts friends, one day told the tulpa that she was in love with the tulpa. That system explained the truth, and that friend was so angry with them she stopped talking to them.

Obviously, this is an extreme scenario and it fell apart because it was a lie from the beginning. However, presumably, it was true that the host thought of her tulpa as a separate person, hence why that set-up happened.

If the tulpa was an alter, would the friend be as upset as they were?

I think part of it is tulpas are thought of as imaginary friends. With that being the core assumption, people are less likely to think of tulpas as separate individuals.

For the case of my professor, I didn't ask people to have them call me by my preferred name and made an effort to look different. If I went to that level, she may have felt more insulted if she realized I was in her eyes a "costume".

So yes, I'm living a lie by saying I'm Cat when I'm not. But this lie makes people feel more comfortable and doesn't lead to people accusing me. Even if they discovered the truth, most of them won't jump to "oh damn I was talking to a tulpa!" And probably jump to "I'm glad she kept it to herself when she did."

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I was in college 1996-2004. About 1998, I figured out that I had a female gender identity, but was hesitant over whether I could commit to all the potential sacrifices that entailed. At the time, trans folk tended to diligently hide their status if they could, except online, because of a history of brutal discrimination and a lack of legal protections. I experimented a lot, taking advantage of the freedom of the college environment to live in both a male and a female identity at the same time, making friends both ways. This resulted in a number of awkward and embarrassing situations, but no long term harm. People thought I was misleading them, lying, portraying a character, or trying to be shocking. No, I was simply trying to externalize my internal reality. The capstone of this period was when, under pressure from the pastor and with the support of my best friend, I came out at a Southern Baptist church business meeting.

I was heavily involved in trans support groups 2007-2014. Trans activism had already changed the situation greatly and many more trans folk were willing to be publically open about their status. It was there I learned to not be ashamed of who and what I am. It was there I was taught that authenticity is a rare personality trait and that people are attracted to it.

I see plurality as having the same marginalized and discriminated status now that transsexuality had twenty years ago, creating the same tendency toward secrecy. But having been on this journey before, I can tell you that people's hearts and minds can be won over, one at a time, through personal interaction. Society can become dramatically more accepting in less than a generation. And being out is much better than being stealth. Every one of you is a potential ambassador for this community just by going about your life and being you.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

I'd like to tell about my tulpas to my friends and my family, and 2 of my tuplas would like them to know they exist, but they aren't really open-minded. Maybe some of my friends are open-minded enough, but I can't know for sure, so I'm considering telling some friends that a video about tulpas showed in Youtube recommendations, and see how they take it.

Yeah, telling people would be nice, but not only would it be something the other person would have to know / deal with the fact that "hey, there's another person in your brain", and its not quite like someone being gay or trans, as that's a thing one could not really think about, but another whole person / people, with their own personalities and other things, not to mention that tulpae don't exist from birth like other issues (eg. gay, trans [i know about trans i mean the circumstance around gender dysphoria and co.], etc.), they're created, and also it can be and is often confused with mental orders like DID and co. which is a larger issue than being gay, though that still is a personal thing, meaning it won't be accepted as quickly as other things that need to be revealed, but I'm waiting until that day arrives / fearing it (this could be a big thing about an overpopulation of Tulpae so the idea is mocked further, or its completely ignored)

TLDR; Tulpae being recognised as well as things like being trans is a possibility though it will take a while as it is close in relation to DID, and I'm semi-looking forward to

Ember: Transsexuals, for various reasons, came to be extensively lumped together with homosexuals, fetishistic crossdressers, sex workers, and sex offenders over the course of about 1950-2000. The distinctions are much better known to the general public now than they were twenty years ago. It will take a similar public education effort for the distinctions among tulpas, soulbonds, and endogenic and traumagenic alters to be appreciated.

Vesper: Concerns over proliferation are my leading reason for holding back in telling people about tulpas. I'm not really on board with making a person on purpose while neglecting to provide them a body of their own. Knowing that learning of me inspired someone to do that would be a burden. Only one of the people we've told has expressed an interest in possibly making a tulpa. After talking to me at length about it, he decided against, albeit for reasons I'm not entirely comfortable with.

As soulbonds tend to be accidental, I am somewhat more comfortable raising public awareness of us than of tulpas. While the term is more obscure, soulbonds may well be more common than tulpas, given how often writers, roleplayers, actors, and fans develop them.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

True enough, i agree with that. i do want to reveal Holly to other people. i do think that you should start simple; confusing others with all forms of terminologies would be bad and lead a lot of people to think its dumb, and even surface level it sounds silly. But for now, I'm picking my battles.