Wonderland, create original location or composite from the familiar?

Leander

I'm debating whether to create a wonderland from parts of locations, or just one location, that I've already encountered in visualization or similar before, or whether to start from scratch creating something entirely original.

The advantage I can see with using previous locations is they already have symbolic associations, which may give the wonderland a boost during creation, i.e. speed up the process and make it more grounded in my psyche. The disadvantage I can see is that the associations of previous locations may not be entirely understood by me.

What did you do?

My current wonderland is a duplicate of a beautiful historic building I visit weekly and have now taken many photo references of. It was just the perfect setup for what we wanted to do and how we wanted to live in wonderland, and I love having good references. I know for a lot of systems they want to create it from scratch, but I'm not an architect, I could have never come up with something so beautiful myself. And I like having a beautiful (and cohesive!) wonderland like this. 

However, there are spots in the building I've ever been in (I've never been on the second floor, although I kinda know the layout) and certain features that we completely don't need (giant signs out front) and so although it's a duplicate, it's not a perfect replica. We live in that wonderland model, and so it's changed, it's different from the real place. So some places were entirely built from imagination and others have been remodeled as to look completely different. Some of the rooms had to be converted to bedrooms and a dining room, for example. 

I had an old wonderland cabin, completely from scratch/imagination, and we patched that into the front lawn of the new wonderland so everything is accessible without teleporting from location to location. 

It'll all work out, whether you go completely from scratch, use some things from real life, or make a duplicate. If you live in it long enough, it'll be yours. Don't pick a place you don't like being in, I guess, and it should be fine. 

Hope that helps. -J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Make whatever is simpler for you to visualize. It's useless to create an enormous place that you can't possibly remember in its entirety and forget all the details

Sometimes all I use is a black void, because I don't really care. We do have a wonderland though

Join my Discord server , old-style tulpamancing / lucid dreaming / meta, newcomers welcome! (and discussion encouraged)

(server is kinda dead, ping the #front-man role if you need support)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[My Guide][Useful #1] [Useful #2] | [1]

if you are worried that your visualization won't be good enough without something to reference, then it might be a good idea to base your wonderland off of real places, but otherwise I recommend making it with your tulpa because it's fun to make a wonderland and if you make it yourself you don't have to constrain yourself to the real world

Edited by Breloomancer

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Wonderland can be whatever you want it to be.  And there's nothing wrong with it even changing depending on what you want at the particular time.

For me, sometimes it's a cozy cavern lair,  sometimes it's the top of the ancient tower from the Monster Hunter series, sometimes it's just a projection of my own bedroom, and sometimes it's even just a vast empty room.

Just go with whatever feels right, and you can always add on to it or change it later.