Beginner Questions General

ThunderClap

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It should be fine, I feel like it's just a matter of preference. My tulpas definitely walked through walls and objects at first.

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022

Whatever you want to do. We generally follow the laws of physics unless specifically envoking teleportation or other powers. For instance, we made it to the moon recently in our cruser but then we had to stop, so we left it there and teleported back.

I'd say start by having the laws of physics apply, just for realism's sake. If they go on to levitate or whatever, that's

also fine. C teleports around all the time. Just make sure it's not a crutch for visualizing them walking or moving around, and it all works.

-J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

• 5 weeks later...

How does one make a tulpa? What are the steps? Any tips for the steps? How many can you have at once without getting confused? How would one communicate to their tulpa at school/work/in public without drawing attention? If the tulpa takes over you (not sure what this is called) Can you still communicate with them and see what they see? Is there any easy way to get back out if something goes wrong while your not in control? Any other tips?

Sorry about all the questions! i just want to be sure before i start creating :)

Not too active and the others don't talk very much to strangers.

First of all try looking through a few guides, they should answer lots of your questions, particularly your first and second ones. It varies from system to system what the maximum tulpas practical is, though it's common wisdom that less is more when it comes to system size. Most people just communicate to their tulpas through thought, so nobody will know that they are talking to their tulpa. When a tulpa is fronting (controlling the body) all system members can communicate just as well as when they are not. As far as taking back control it really depends on the type of control, and how good at it those involved are (read up on switching and possession).

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

How does one make a tulpa? What are the steps? Any tips for the steps? How many can you have at once without getting confused? How would one communicate to their tulpa at school/work/in public without drawing attention? If the tulpa takes over you (not sure what this is called) Can you still communicate with them and see what they see? Is there any easy way to get back out if something goes wrong while your not in control? Any other tips?

Sorry about all the questions! i just want to be sure before i start creating :)

There are plenty of guides listed in this forum, and it even has a subsection dedicated to giving people tips on specific tulpa-related activities. If you're looking for a decent list of recommend general guides, take a look at this page and read through everything listed; it'll answer a lot of your early questions and if there's still something you're unsure about, use the search function. If you still need more help, feel free to make another thread - the people here are generally quick and eager to answer.

Answering your specific questions:

• The "max" number of tulpas is dependent on the person. Some people are able to manage plenty whilst others struggle with only one. I would recommend against attempting to create a bunch of tulpas for the sake of it - it's a very personal process and you're better off helping one tulpa develop for a while before adding another into the mix. 
  • Most people communicate with their tulpas mentally, not out loud. For the people who have an easier time with the latter, using a bluetooth headset or holding a cell phone up to their ear might be helpful but then you'd probably have to pay attention to how the "conversation" flows since narration is generally a one-sided thing, but if you're just walking down the street or something it really shouldn't matter all that much.
  • For possession (where the tulpa takes control of the entire body or just certain body parts) the host is still connected to the senses and can reliably communicate with whoever else is using the body. Tulpas are generally benevolent and don't do things that would negatively impact your life but if you're in a situation where you need to take back control, it shouldn't be too difficult. Ultimately it depends on how developed the tulpas are and the degree to which they're taking over. 

Okay, no need to reiterate about guides...

How many can you have at once without getting confused?

A certain amount of distraction, confusion, and disorientation probably comes with the territory. Just because the human brain can support multiple personalities doesn't mean it's designed to. I don't know how often other systems experience "glitches", but we do. It doesn't seem to be dependant on number; it's more just a result of interacting at all.

If you mean getting tulpas confused with one another -- I've never confused Vesper and Iris, they sound and feel very different. Vesper and I had to put a little work into not occasionally getting confused with one another, but it wasn't that hard.

I would recommend sticking with one tulpa for at least six months, preferably a year, before even discussing another, and then making a joint decision on whether anyone else would contribute to the overall happiness and functionality of your system.

How would one communicate to their tulpa at school/work/in public without drawing attention?

People will notice sometimes. But it's pretty lowkey -- you just seem distracted and lost in thought, which you are. There's no way around it. If you need to seem to be paying attention, pay attention and let your tulpa wait. Your tulpa should definitely understand and allow you space when you need it, as long as you're working on your relationship at more convenient and private times.

If the tulpa takes over you (not sure what this is called) Can you still communicate with them and see what they see?

Sometimes and eventually. When Vesper first started trying to talk to me while switched, she found my mind voice very faint and my thoughts shallow and jumbled. I got better at "thinking like a tulpa" with practice. The first time Iris switched in, she couldn't reach us at all (so I'm glad I had arranged for my wife to be with her), the second time she couldn't reach Vesper, but she quickly learned to reach both of us.

Switching is usually defined in a way that means the person who is switching out loses connection to the physical senses. All three of us are completely, permanently bound to the physical senses at all times we are awake, but we also drop unconscious pretty quickly if the person in control of the body doesn't think about us. Some other systems can detach much better from the physical senses and be more active in a constructed inner world, but we don't have the trick of it yet.

Is there any easy way to get back out if something goes wrong while your not in control?

If you're just being possessed, you should be able to override your tulpa's actions with an act of will. If a tulpa is strong enough to switch in and can figure out the technique, they should be able to leave the same way. We usually "hard switch" by visualizing one person's mental form shoving the other's out of the body. (It sounds violent, but we always get consent first.) We can do it very gently, it just takes a few extra seconds. Since your body knows you best, it should default to your control very easily. If Vesper or Iris just jump out, even if they are the only one conscious at the time, I'll instantly wake up in control.

Any other tips?

Think long and hard about whether this is what you really want out of life and read lots of guides and personal accounts on this forum before starting creation.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Adding onto the above (sorry i'm asking so many questions)

1. Can you make yourself able to smell them (like if they like a particular deodorant or something can you like make yourself able to smell that when they hug you and stuff?)

2. If you create them with a specific outfit on (like if you visualise them with the same outfit ever time) do they stick with that outfit or can they change it?

3. Is there a way to make sure they don't take over you? (i'm not sure how this works yet)

Not too active and the others don't talk very much to strangers.

• Vos pinned this topic
  • Pleeb locked and pinned this topic