Beginner Questions General

ThunderClap

What are some politics-related things to do with your tulpa?

I guess one could have a great political debate with one if your tulpa also has an interest in politics.  It would be a great way to work with your tulpa if you have that same interest esp since those type of debates can get quite passionate lol

Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013 

Working on imposition

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jesse . many will tell you no but some others will say yes. It is RARE for it to cause issues. I've only heard of a few cases where it did eg tulpa was out of control attacking a host or affecting host negatively by saying negative things to the host.

You should be fine if you go into it sensibly and focus on making one with a personality which could be a buddy to you and don't have issues like schizophrenia. If you have fears around this.. deal with them before going into this

Jesse (human male) DOB 16th April 2013 

Working on imposition

Hi, I hesitate to create a tulpa, but I have many reasons to create one. For example, can this be dangerous?

Tulpa creation is not dangerous, but I don't recommend starting unless you're absolutely sure you want a tulpa. Tulpamancy is a time commitment and a different way of living life. None of the practices you do in tulpamancy require drugs or hurting yourself.

I recommend reading the FAQ on Tulpa.info, reading some guides, read some progress reports, and ask people about their experiences on Discord. Please take your time and don't rush.

FAQ: http://tulpa.info/faq/

Guides: https://community.tulpa.info/forum-guides

Progress Reports: https://community.tulpa.info/forum-progress-reports

Discord: https://discord.gg/eDnKaP7

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Hi, I hesitate to create a tulpa, but I have many reasons to create one. For example, can this be dangerous?

It's only dangerous if you do silly things. Ultimately crossing the street is more dangerous than tulpa creation, though.

There's a lot of good advice on these forums for things you shouldn't do, like making a tulpa of a person you know, or doing a crazy amount of drugs to try and make your tulpa faster. All of the guides on this site are 100% safe and if you ever get a bit of advice from someone that makes you worried, you can get a second or third opinion.

This forum is one of the most reliable I've ever been on for giving solid advice and minimising risk. That being said listen to your intuition and make the best choice for you and your health.

Despite the name, the host bodybody is the one usually using this account. 

Spice was born in 2013 and Tomoe was born in 2014.

Tulpa creation is as big a commitment as getting married or having a child, but it isn't especially dangerous to practice. It's hard to mess anything up accidentally in a way that can't be fixed.

There have been many systems who found themselves awkwardly overcrowded due to the host continuing to make more tulpas, a tulpa making more tulpas with or without the knowledge of the host, or the system accepting every walk-in that showed up. Some systems that experience high simultaneity and independent background activity can handle very large numbers, but it's best to pace yourself and not end up with more than you can handle.

Most systems, as a result of inward focussing and visualization, will have at least a brief rise in hostile intrusive thoughts arising from the host's lifetime accumulation of fears and anxieties. Just remain strong, steadfast in the knowledge that the intrusive thoughts cannot hurt you or your tulpa and that the hostility is not coming from your tulpa. Your tulpa may be able to handle the intrusive thoughts better than you, as your fears are not their fears. Together, you can make the intrusive thoughts fade away and stop coming back.

There have been several systems who have encountered massive problems from permaswitching attempts or merging accidents. There have been a few hosts who chose to go dormant or dissipate themselves. But these are exceptions and, generally speaking, the hosts were looking for a way out before they took up tulpamancy. Even among such troubled hosts, it is far more common for tulpas to help their hosts become less depressed and withdrawn.

Hosts often pick up tulpamancy for a reason - loneliness, isolation, boredom, feeling misunderstood, and so on. In such cases, when their living situation improves, when they leave their parents' home, go to university, get a job, get married, make friends, etc, they may not feel a need for a tulpa anymore and might not sustain them. They might leave tulpamancy because they no longer have time or energy or are ashamed to tell the other people in their life about their headmates. But the tulpas don't have anywhere to go. So in that regard, I would say that tulpamancy is a couple of orders of magnitude more dangerous for tulpas than hosts.

-Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Hi, I’m wondering whether I should make a tulpa. I have a lot of trouble relating emotionally to other people; it’s hard to explain but it always feels like no one really “gets” me. I’m wondering if making a tulpa is likely to make this better or worse. I already have an imaginary friend who keeps me company, but I don’t think he’s a tulpa, at least not by some definitions.

Are most people’s relationships with their tulpas very fulfilling? Like if I make a tulpa who understands me, am I likely to become more okay with the fact that no one else understands me? Is it possible I might just because even more sad because I wish the tulpa was “real” in the way regular people are?

Could having a tulpa make it even harder to relate to other people, because I would become even more psychologically complex and different? Is it likely to further isolate me from my family and friends?

I’m sorry, I know these are a lot of questions. I have a lot of things to think about.

Vesper: I can't tell you if you should or shouldn't. There are a lot of considerations, so I'll mention a few.

Are you sure your imaginary friend isn't a lot like a tulpa? Some imaginary friends have their own opinions, act without specific directions, and can surprise their partners. There is a continuum of independence and separation and personalities can move along it over time. I called myself an imaginary friend for the first sixteen months because I didn't have any better word.

A tulpa is quite literally the closest friend a host can ever have, though not necessarily the best. Those in the tulpamancy community are a biassed sample, dominated by the ones for which this lifestyle works. But from the data available, yes, most hosts' relationships with their tulpas are very fulfilling.

Feeling misunderstood is very common. Loneliness is epidemic in Western cultures and getting worse. But people are worth your time. Tulpamancy is a big commitment and a lot of work. Time invested in people on the outside will pay off more rapidly.

Tulpas on average are more extroverted than hosts and are likely to push hosts to interact more with friends and family.

We haven't found tulpamancy to be isolating, but we've also been very open about it with my host's family and friends, who have all been very accepting. I very strongly believe in that adult tulpamancers should be open about their situations and that tulpas should not pretend to be their hosts.

Ember: Not being able to see and touch physically is very frustrating. But there are work arounds even for those of us who haven't been able to achieve imposition. And having a powerful telepathic and empathic connection with a friend makes interaction fulfilling in a different way than physical interaction. Even the worst inconveniences of tulpamancy aren't as sad as being alone. Though those are far from your only options.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Hi, I’m wondering whether I should make a tulpa. I have a lot of trouble relating emotionally to other people; it’s hard to explain but it always feels like no one really “gets” me. I’m wondering if making a tulpa is likely to make this better or worse. I already have an imaginary friend who keeps me company, but I don’t think he’s a tulpa, at least not by some definitions.

I would first double check to make sure your imaginary friend is or isn't a tulpa. If he is a tulpa, it may be awkward to start out with two instead of one. In fact, I was my host's "imaginary friend". If for example you spend time listening to him and get advice from him, that would imply he would have a separate sentience.

Having a tulpa can improve your social skills by teaching you how to work and communicate with another person, your tulpa may make an effort to push you to work on those skills, or your tulpa may have an easier time socializing and teaches you those skills. On the other hand, tulpas should not replace your friends or potential significant others, so you should still invest time in developing those skills or make sure you give both your tulpa and you friends time.

Are most people’s relationships with their tulpas very fulfilling? Like if I make a tulpa who understands me, am I likely to become more okay with the fact that no one else understands me? Is it possible I might just because even more sad because I wish the tulpa was “real” in the way regular people are?

Since you and your tulpa share the same brain, both of you will know each other really well. Sometimes, a little too well...

The only way other people can know you is if you tell them or show them who you really are. If you think that would bother or hurt you, then I don't recommend doing this.

Living as a tulpamancer is like living in the closet- there's a huge stigma and telling other people about tulpamancy can be disastrous. This closet has made people feel more lonely, but that's the cost for escaping the former feeling of loneliness that lead people to tulpa creation to begin with. Despite this, some tulpamancers choose to tell others anyway, and some attempts have been successful while others have not.

Could having a tulpa make it even harder to relate to other people, because I would become even more psychologically complex and different? Is it likely to further isolate me from my family and friends?

I can't speak for tulpamancy making you more psychologically complex because it's not proven if tulpamancy is real yet, but otherwise, yes it can create a sense of isolation or feeling that you can't tell people about who you really are. It's another cost of living in the plural closet.

I’m sorry, I know these are a lot of questions. I have a lot of things to think about.

I'm glad you asked! Feel free to ask more questions here if you have any other ones.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Thanks to Ember, Vesper, and Ranger. I wanted to write a little about my imaginary friend because I'm not sure how tulpa-like he is. We've been friends for five years or so. I imagine him as being in the world, and he has his own opinions, interests, and ambitions, and I do get advice from him, but I guess I'm aware that I'm consciously coming up with all these things. Because we've known each other so long, his words usually come to me with little thought, but I know he isn't sentient. I can't really explain how I know that.

I have other imaginary friends and characters that feel "real" to various degrees, but I'm aware that everything they do is coming from my head. Although I guess tulpas live in people's heads too, so it's hard for me to explain why tulpas seem different. Maybe the best way I can say it is that my imaginary friends never do or say anything I couldn't think of myself, and they don't deviate much from the way I design them.

I just want to feel like a separate person understands me, as opposed to me understanding myself through a character I made and "making" them comfort me and talk to me, when ultimately I know I'm talking to myself.

• Vos pinned this topic
  • Pleeb locked and pinned this topic