Beginner Questions General

ThunderClap

(edited)

Couple of questions from this newbie!  Hopefully they don't rate their own thread and I've had a crack at using the search but... well.

1 - Are.. there any particularly detailed Wonderland guides?  I know there are guides but so far as I've seen there aren't any even begin to approach the level of detail of the tulpa creation guides.

2 - Bit more awkward.. should I make/do I deserve a tulpa?  Setting aside larger moral concerns, which I have seen some neat responses to, I happen to have a chronic-ish condition that while not serious does have a few unpleasant aspects -.-  It feels.. uncomfortable making a friend, only to put them through that.  This ties back to question 1 because.. well, would a wonderland protect them from that, potentially?

3 - This one's a real stretch but... Is there - or indeed are there even guides for.. oh how to put it - something a step down from a tulpa?  May or may not be sentient, more like a little companion of simpler mind ala.. oh what's a good example?  The little children's companion drones from science fiction settings like The Culture are all I can think of.  Autonomous, potentially spontaneous... basically 'could be elevated to a tulpa if all goes well', but above the sort of 'remote control' an imaginary friend implies.

I apologise for the weird questions!  And the clumsy terminology.  And, well, thanks.

Edited by Forra

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Forra said:

1 - Are.. there any particularly detailed Wonderland guides?  I know there are guides but so far as I've seen there aren't any even begin to approach the level of detail of the tulpa creation guides.

This one goes into a lot of details. And you can always check the wonderland section of this thread

5 hours ago, Forra said:

2 - Bit more awkward.. should I make/do I deserve a tulpa?  Setting aside larger moral concerns, which I have seen some neat responses to, I happen to have a chronic-ish condition that while not serious does have a few unpleasant aspects -.-  It feels.. uncomfortable making a friend, only to put them through that.  This ties back to question 1 because.. well, would a wonderland protect them from that, potentially?

No idea what condition you're referring to but while a tulpa might feel more sheltered while existing in the back, the condition will still apply to everyone sharing brain. As for whether you should make a tulpa or not, that's something only you can judge.

5 hours ago, Forra said:

3 - This one's a real stretch but... Is there - or indeed are there even guides for.. oh how to put it - something a step down from a tulpa?  May or may not be sentient, more like a little companion of simpler mind ala.. oh what's a good example?  The little children's companion drones from science fiction settings like The Culture are all I can think of.  Autonomous, potentially spontaneous... basically 'could be elevated to a tulpa if all goes well', but above the sort of 'remote control' an imaginary friend implies.

There's servitors but they're pretty much just symbolism. You could parrot a thoughtform and make all decisions for them, never acknowledging them as a separate entity, but I am not sure about something that is completely independent while still not turning into a sentient being.

2 hours ago, Mirichu said:

This one goes into a lot of details. And you can always check the wonderland section of this thread

No idea what condition you're referring to but while a tulpa might feel more sheltered while existing in the back, the condition will still apply to everyone sharing brain. As for whether you should make a tulpa or not, that's something only you can judge.

There's servitors but they're pretty much just symbolism. You could parrot a thoughtform and make all decisions for them, never acknowledging them as a separate entity, but I am not sure about something that is completely independent while still not turning into a sentient being.

Thanks so much for the reply!  I hope it's okay responding point by point in return...

Re 1: I've read Sophie's guide, and looked at the ones linked in the compilation post's Wonderland section!  I guess I was just asking if there was anywhere I might look for even more detail, even if it meant going off-site.  I'm not sure of the best terminology to use on a search engine so even keyword suggestions would be helpful!  .. 'Wonderland guide' predictably turns up things more along the lines of Lewis Carroll study resources.  Sorry, I realise this question's a bit counter-intuitive, but nothing ventured.

Re 2: I... guess I just felt a bit guilty whingeing about it to everyone in my second ever post.  Let me rephrase the question: are there any standing opinions or resources with regard to hosting a tulpa when one has a chronic condition of some sort?  Again I realise this is turning into a question of 'is there even more?' though so feel free to dismiss this one.

~3: Again, I wasn't specific enough!  I guess I was wondering about a thoughtform one might consider simple, but still potentially sentient.  The example pops to mind now I think of it is something like.. Sumomo, the little miniature persocom from Chobits.  Buuut even as I write this I think this is turning into more of a 'can I make my tulpa like X' question, albeit with a mind to evolving into someone more complex and deep later so... hm.

Anyway thanks again for your patience!  .. Really self-conscious.

1 hour ago, Forra said:

Re 1: I've read Sophie's guide, and looked at the ones linked in the compilation post's Wonderland section!  I guess I was just asking if there was anywhere I might look for even more detail, even if it meant going off-site.  I'm not sure of the best terminology to use on a search engine so even keyword suggestions would be helpful!  .. 'Wonderland guide' predictably turns up things more along the lines of Lewis Carroll study resources.  Sorry, I realise this question's a bit counter-intuitive, but nothing ventured.

Not sure how much detail you want, a wonderland can be as complex as you want but the process boils down to simply imagining a place. If by detail you mean a rich wonderland, then you can look up the term ''worldbuilding'' which is basically creating worlds. It'd just be a matter of creating it and simply using it as wonderland, not much else. I also found about the concept of ''mental (or memory) palace'' but not sure if that'd help.

1 hour ago, Forra said:

Re 2: I... guess I just felt a bit guilty whingeing about it to everyone in my second ever post.  Let me rephrase the question: are there any standing opinions or resources with regard to hosting a tulpa when one has a chronic condition of some sort?  Again I realise this is turning into a question of 'is there even more?' though so feel free to dismiss this one.

I found this thread, you can look up keywords 'mental' or 'illness' in the search thingy and sort by 'in content titles only' to see related threads.

1 hour ago, Forra said:

~3: Again, I wasn't specific enough!  I guess I was wondering about a thoughtform one might consider simple, but still potentially sentient.  The example pops to mind now I think of it is something like.. Sumomo, the little miniature persocom from Chobits.  Buuut even as I write this I think this is turning into more of a 'can I make my tulpa like X' question, albeit with a mind to evolving into someone more complex and deep later so... hm.

I don't think there's such a thing as a not-quite-sentient tulpa. You can make a very complex character and still have it be non sentient. If you want your tulpa to be X thing, you can make them like that in the beginning, but keep in mind they'll probably deviate to something else as they develop.

(edited)
16 hours ago, Mirichu said:

Not sure how much detail you want, a wonderland can be as complex as you want but the process boils down to simply imagining a place. If by detail you mean a rich wonderland, then you can look up the term ''worldbuilding'' which is basically creating worlds. It'd just be a matter of creating it and simply using it as wonderland, not much else. I also found about the concept of ''mental (or memory) palace'' but not sure if that'd help.

I found this thread, you can look up keywords 'mental' or 'illness' in the search thingy and sort by 'in content titles only' to see related threads.

I don't think there's such a thing as a not-quite-sentient tulpa. You can make a very complex character and still have it be non sentient. If you want your tulpa to be X thing, you can make them like that in the beginning, but keep in mind they'll probably deviate to something else as they develop.

This.. could all be pretty helpful, especially the linked thread.  I feel a bit bad having missed that.

EDIT: Oh it focuses on mental illness.. still I'll try again seeing if I can find one about physiological problems.

Anyway thanks so much! ><

Edited by Forra

• 1 month later...
(edited)

The original title of this post was "What does it feel like to be switched out?" -Ranger

I'm new to this, and curious what that's like. I asked one person, but was advised to ask here publicly on the forums to get more input.

Edited by Ranger
Added note of post title for context.

(edited)

(My answer from PM on "What does it feel like to be switched out?")

On 7/5/2020 at 10:26 PM, Luminesce said:

I dunno what exactly to say to "How does it feel to be switched out?", like, all I can say is it's the equivalent to being a tulpa. You don't have the same giant collection of senses to experience, it's a lot simpler, just your knowing of what was going on/what was said or done and your memory of it I guess. At the very least I'd say, aside from how weird the concept is, the experience of being switched out didn't really teach me anything different. My tulpas being switched in taught us a ton though, like what aspects of "me" stick no matter who's fronting and which don't. It also changed my perspective on tulpas some too, realizing they and I were literally the same thing in a sense, I'd just been around a lot longer and am associated/identified more with the body.

Need more responses, though

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

13 hours ago, loopsi17 said:

The original title of this post was "What does it feel like to be switched out?" -Ranger

I'm new to this, and curious what that's like. I asked one person, but was advised to ask here publicly on the forums to get more input.

It depends on the system and the type of switching. For us, I never fully switched out to the point of entering the wonderland or whatever. It was like I "became" my tulpa. Or maybe like my tulpa became me? I took on the identity of whoever was fronting. Often there was some degree of blending, as my personality could not be fully suppressed, though there was a definite shift in identity. A particularly weird aspect was the shift in preferences, like Laine would listen to rap music when they were fronting, which I dislike normally but somehow enjoyed so long as Laine was in front? And Vicki liked orange juice (I do like it if it's fresh squeezed but never cared for that carton stuff, but she liked it). On occasion we experienced identity confusion where it wasn't clear who was more in control. Once I even asked Kayleigh if it was me or her in control and she pointed out she wasn't even in the body. Switching is weird.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

21 hours ago, loopsi17 said:

Switching out for me is like trading places with Ranger, but it came with a few surprises for me. I already had an idea of what Ranger's experience was like as a tulpa, but weird mindsets toward switching lead me to believe in things it wasn't and I was proven wrong later.

When switched-out for the first few times, my identity felt like it was reduced. When Ranger fronted, I felt like I was a voice in his head and not much more. That doesn't mean I have some secret experience Ranger doesn't know about, instead it was the opposite- everything was filtered through Ranger's lens, and he didn't experience me as anything more than a voice. In wonderland, I have a form and in this tulpa state I have a presence I don't normally have, but the lack of feeling the body's senses as "mine" is a different experience, hence the feeling I lost something.

When we switch, there is no blacking out, and when I go dormant, I don't black out then either. This experience is no different from Ranger's- when I'm switched-in and I forget about Ranger, he just stops thinking. The same thing happens when Ranger forgets about me- no secret experience on my end, I just stop existing and Ranger continues as if nothing happened. This helped us realize consciousness was a separate thing all together and it connects to whoever is switched-in because it feeds that headmate sensory and unconscious information, not because being conscious is somehow part of what makes myself, me or even the switched-in headmate.

Being switched-out is an interesting sensory experience because when the brain/body is stressed, anxious, in pain, tired, etc. I can choose to opt out of it. I simply take advantage of the fact I'm a voice and without any effort, can't feel much of anything. It is much easier being calm because the brain is feeding the body's stress to Ranger first rather than myself. While I haven't had the chance to try this myself, possession can also shield Ranger from the body's anxiety, and I expect to do the same. As with anxiety, I can opt out of pain and remain calm to help ease Ranger while he experiences the pain.

Being switched-out for you may be an experience you already know is like, assuming you have a tulpa. I like the idea what your tulpa experiences is if not exactly will be very close to your experience if you switched-out. The big thing to remember is there is no weird magical experience you won't be aware of already, such as blacking out, being able to think outside your tulpa's awareness, etc. As far as I'm concerned, parallel processing isn't a thing and can confuse you further.

There are more experiences I have yet to explore- I have had limited chances to possess and I look forward to hanging out with my headmates while switched-out.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

• Pleeb locked and pinned this topic