How is Raw Thought Perceived?

theholodoc

This question was originally posted here -Ranger

May I ask a question here? How is "raw thought" perceived and understood, if not in words, sentences and paragraphs? I don't regard tulpish as a cognitive process. My tulpas communicate both in tulpish and in words. and all of that is silent, inside my/our head. I will read the article after I leave the forum and may have more thoughts about it afterwords, but please, someone here, answer my question. Thanks, Dr. Bob

Edited by Ranger
Added link

I consider raw thought to be a form of tulpish. I use tulpish as an umbrella term for all forms of non-mindvoice communication in the mind.

Raw thoughts are usually gut instincts or feelings and for us mostly unconscious. For example, a raw thought could be a first reaction, like a desire response or an intrusive thought. If I am doing something Cat doesn't like when possessing the body, I often notice her thoughts of boredom and discomfort. It isn't until we think about the raw thought in retrospect we realize it occurred and what it means.

Raw thoughts can also be abstract concepts, but that's harder to explain and we are not the best at thinking this way. A tulpish thought that's conceptual may be something like "you need to get your hw done" or "I love you" only it is understood as a feeling instead of spoken in mindvoice.

None of this is spoken out loud, all of this is going on in your head.

I believe raw thoughts are a cognitive process, they seem vital for thought creation.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

After watching the video referenced above, I ran across this quote by Albert Einstein.  "I rarely think in words at all. A thought comes, and I may try to express it in words afterwards."  I note that he did not say how he experienced the thought, I can imagine that it was in numbers or numerical symbols, but of that I am not certain. In retrospect, I think in images, even entire scenes, but if there are characters in the scenes for the most part they express themselves in words. As I mentioned, both Flora and Nsonowa talk to me in both words (mainly) and in tulipish (not so much any more, only occasionally). In my dreams, characters frequently do not use words, and I, if I am in the dream as an actor, understand them. If I remember the dream, I remember all the messages, in words.

Thoughts can be abstract and hard when trying to translate them into something others can understands. Doesn't have to be images or sound. We find it easier to think in what we call 'raw thoughts'. I can't say how Einsteins thought pattern looked like but I can understand if it wasn't something that was easily translatable into real world logic. He might just have found it easier to express some of his thoughts with math and luckily for him, math is quite universal so he gained huge popularity in that subject as it's not common for people like him to go down that path. - Kurisutina

Edited by Matsuri
Couldn't change author like you could with the old software so I added a sign at the end to indicate whose post it was supposed to be

I am currently reading "How To Create A Mind" by Ray Kurtzweil. He is  a cyber tech guy. He talks about the neuroscience of mind  creation (in a much more detailed way than Marvin Minski in his "Societies of Mind" also a relevant work.)  I suppose it is possible it is possible to become conscious of the neurological operations which produce thought, but I don't think that is what is meant by  'raw thought'. Kurtzweil suggests that the operation that produces even one thought could not be meaningful without being conscious of the millions of operations in the entire neocortex, as the horizontal interconnectivity between Axons gives the context and the higher level meaning of the one thought. 

Now if we had an as detailed map of how consciousness itself is produced.  Graziano's book is curiously unsatisfying as he suggests a rational model, but does not describe how the brain might be creating it at the axonal level.  If anyone has a reference please let us know. Dr. Bob

Raw thought is pure meaning/understanding. Language is using symbols to covey that meaning. The sounds and appearances of the words themselves are arbitrary, but we agree they mean certain things, and our brain maps the words to meaning. Haven't you ever encountered a situation and just understood what was going on without/before describing it to yourself in words? Or looked at someone and knew who they were without describing them or saying their name?

In my dreams, characters frequently do not use words, and I, if I am in the dream as an actor, understand them.

My dreams are like this too, words are rarely used, what they mean to say is just understood directly. Words aren't necessary to convey meaning in the mind. The thought itself is core/fundamental, and the words are a translation.

Edited by Ranger
Took out white background in quoted text

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log