*how* do you do/practice imposition?

anashyean

ive seen everywhere, people talking about “practicing imposition”, but i have absolutely no idea what people mean when they say this. do they just keep trying to force an imagined image into reality? do they try to impose something they know theyre unable to impose yet, until they somehow experience it? ive tried to do imposition, but the most im ever able to do is a “ghost”-y outline/line of something im trying to impose. im unable to go any further, and it frustrates me. if i tried staring at a specific point, hours on end, just trying to get a coloured blob into my vision, i simply dont think itd be possible for me. im not sure how to practice imposition.

ive also seen about having to trick your brain into thinking the image is actually there... but for me, im not sure if its possible for me to convince myself that something is real, when i know its not.

plus, i have a good visualizing skills, so it frustrates me when i cant even get a black or white or grey blob to appear by imposition.

the only other types of imposition i can do are smell, which is kinda faint, taste (also pretty faint), and pressure (not touch). auditory imposition is something i cant even imagine how to practice (and would like some advice on too, but not rn, i just want help with visual imposition).

Well when we say "practice" we just mean actually doing it to try and improve the clarity and consistency

I think explaining all of imposition is more than I'm willing to do right now so I'll link some reference posts we have

https://community.tulpa.info/topic/14680-so-what-am-i-doing-wrong/?do=findComment&comment=225105

https://community.tulpa.info/topic/14784-imposition-question/?do=findComment&comment=232654

basically, it should normally start out as not really seeing anything and slowly getting more vivid and convincing as you practice, and "practice"... is just as simple as trying and expecting to see your tulpa, standing in front of you? I guess? We've never explained it as being any more complicated than that, at least

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Sounds like you're way ahead of us and we've been at it for thousands of hours. Some people make radical progress almost immediately while others never get there and it's rarely clear why.

https://community.tulpa.info/topic/1847-i-dont-understand/?do=findComment&comment=30057

On 9/16/2012 at 2:55 PM, Chupi said:

I've been keeping track of a number of ideas I've heard for it from others, mostly on the IRC. There seem to be a number of basic approaches:

• FAQ_Man's way: Imagine tulpa behind you at all times. Slowly start catching tiny glimpses in the corner of your eye. Bring into full view over a long time. Use other senses for support too.
  • Irish's way: Stare and will tulpa to appear. Within this, you can focus your attention on the tulpa, a simple flat surface behind the tulpa, on nothing at all, or on a point in your mind.
  • Q2 method: Similar to Irish's, but focusing on touch. Open-eye visualize tulpa in your environment, bring hands up to about where they are and stop. Move hands around while imagining textures.
  • endoalir & JD1215: Enter a really deep daydream state and use wizard powers to make whatever you imagine override your real vision.
  • Manipulating the "grains" of visual noise you see when you close your eyes in a dark room. Basically start by trying to will a single grain to be a certain color. Slowly learn to build up shapes and more complex forms. Eventually transition to open-eye. Can result in full visual hallucinations, like other methods here. (I had a link to a nice thread on Dreamviews, but I can't find it.)
  • Tulpa assistance: See if your tulpa can help in any way, beyond just talking to you while you try to do one of the other methods. For instance, Lyra seems to be able to somewhat influence the blobs I see when I'm close to sleep.

Q2's guide was considered the gold standard for years, often linked in general tulpamancy guides in lieu of having their own imposition section. A second edition, covering all senses, was released in 2018:

https://community.tulpa.info/topic/13961-q2s-method-for-a-huggable-tulpa-v2/

The Dreamviews guide in question is this one:

https://www.dreamviews.com/dream-control/80879-advanced-vision-control-tutorial.html

Breloomancer may be the most accomplished at imposition among those who are regularly active on the forum now, though we're still waiting on him to publish a guide. He put this out on the .info Discord on December 26, 2019:

12:21 PM
there are other things that I did, but the main thing is to expose yourself to some sort of stimulus over and over, slowly making it more faint, until you can feel it at will without any external stimulus, then repeat with another sensation until you eventually have enough control over your senses to synthesize sensations together to make any sensation
12:34 PM
so visual imposition is the one sense that doesn't work for that method, and really I used a variety of tactics, none of which were as effective as the sensory repetition exercise. sculpting and walking around objects and treating them as real is able to slowly make them more stable and less opaque until you can eventually fully see them, but it's slow work. if I were to do it again I would probably instead focus on seeing something in pitch dark, then gradually raising the light level until I could see things in daylight
tactile is easy though, you just feel things, then gradually apply less pressure until you're not even touching it but you can still see it
12:43 PM
it's not about trying to get sensation that you already practiced, you do that in the beginning sure, but eventually you are able to synthesize it into new things so you don't have to practice every single sensation
using trained sensations is like training wheels, you have to use them to learn imposition, but once you are practiced you don't need it anymore
you just very slowly turn up the light
12:49 PM
I would try to set aside a few hours every day, but some days I could spend more time and some days I spend less
so probably 2-3 hours every day
but I would take a break every ~30 minutes to meditate or got to the bathroom or post on LOTPW or whatever

Breaking down q2 and Bre's general approaches into some very specific exercises, we have:

https://community.tulpa.info/topic/7356-game-last-one-to-post-wins/?do=findComment&comment=268384

On 10/21/2019 at 9:42 PM, JGC said:

I bring it up because I have a small collection of tricks for inducing tactile imposition, but I've mostly refrained from mentioning them because... I don't know if they generalize. Or other people might need to practice them for days or weeks to see effects, for me it was just like finding easter eggs in my own wiring.

If I tap middle inside joint of each finger, in order, to a steady rhythym, and after 5 or so repetitions, I pause on a beat instead of tapping my finger- I get nearly perfect touch imposition of what my brain expects to happen. I've been trying to see if I can feel two imposed taps. Sorta like skipping rocks...

If I take a mug, and slowly and deliberately move my finger or hand over the surface of the mug for 20-ish seconds, and then "dip" my finger into the mug, I feel resistence, I feel like I'm sticking my finger into a liquid thinner than water. If instead of being gentle, I pretend to slap the imposed surface, my head will twitch away and my body will generally act like I'm going to get splashed. I feel greater resistence, but some quality is lost.

If I take my finger and drag it up my arm in a smooth line 2 or 3 times, and then pause, the movement will naturally ghost. If Gavin posesses my arm, he can extend the ghosting past where the orginal input was. In general, Gavin is better at this than me... 

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Cat (my host) and I usually say we practice imposition. This usually means-

• We are working on our visualization. We believe that better visualization will lead to better imposition experiences because it will be easier for our mind's eye to trick our perception of reality.
  • We are using overlay visualization. When Cat visualizes me standing next to her on the train, she can't really "see" me, but she gets the slight impression she can see me in her mind's eye. The goal is to get used to the idea anything drawn on top of our field of vision eventually translates to hallucinations. Doing this also forces Cat to ask questions like how I move, how much space am I taking up, what are my body's proportions, how hard am I tapping on things, how heavy am I, etc. These feed into touch imposition, however working on touch imposition can make visual imposition feel more real.
  • Cat is literally staring at the ceiling or a spec or dirt and trying to hallucinate a change in what she is seeing. For example, she may look at a small speck of dirt or a stain and try to hallucinate a blob to make it disappear. Cat has also stared at popcorn on ceilings and saw shapes, like how you may see shapes in the clouds. This method makes our eyes hurt so we haven't been using this method as much.
  • Ganzfeld practice. More along the lines of what Breloomancer said, just sitting in a dark room, closing our eyes, and trying to make out shapes in the pretty color blobs.

While we have not played around with this too much, you may also be interested in looking into hypnagogic hallucinations. I know Bear, another tulpamancer, had success with imposition by manipulating his hypnagogic state.

[Cat] I think it also helps to understand what state of mind you are in when you hallucinate. Basically, expectation that something is there is more important than creating a clear image. I remember being really tired once and I hallucinated my pet cat on the ground. It seemed really vivid, and when I was surprised to discover I hallucinated him. I also have times where I think I see things and then I double check and nothing is there. I believe this is the main reason why presence imposition works- you expect a perfect image of someone, and the brain delivers it until you realize it faded away.

As for the other states of mind, like hypnagogia, Ganzfeld, or looking for images in static, those are more like a meditative state or close to sleeping state. It puts you in a sort of trance and your mind starts to unwind and prepare to enter a dream state. In a dream or even a lucid dream, what you experience is treated as reality in that short time.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Ooh, I got a notification from being quoted. 

For auditory imposition, I highly recommend finding a source of white or pink noise. I've had luck with both wearing headphones/earbuds and with having the source be away from me (a fan directly behind me, and a fan across the room.) You might get quick results but also don't give up quickly if you don't get quick results: with the fan, it was about two and a half hours before I started being able to really auditory-impose into that noise. 

What you (or your headmate) should try to do is "grab onto" bits of the white noise- see patterns that aren't there. It's kinda like trying to look for shapes in clouds, but with noise instead. You can start with words, but really I've had the best luck starting with only sounds. Go "duh, duh, duh, duh" into the noise, or "shh, shh, shh." Once you can see those patterns consistently, you can make them more elaborate. 

Or, with the fan across the room, that was really entirely on my tulpas. They were talking, and they mentally placed their location into that source of white noise instead of in wonderland. I could only hear them softly, like through a not-quite-tuned radio, but it felt 100% like the audio was coming from within the fan, not just a mental simulation of noise. 

Also try imposing at different times of the day- some experiences are easier to access right before or after sleeping, others need full, deep attention, others still seem to need you to be drained of energy. It's a pretty personal, individualized process. 

Good luck! 

-J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

14 hours ago, Ranger said:

While we have not played around with this too much, you may also be interested in looking into hypnagogic hallucinations. I know Bear, another tulpamancer, had success with imposition by manipulating his hypnagogic state.

i already get auditory hypnagogic hallucinations all the time, sometimes kinetic, so this actually sounds like a good idea

14 hours ago, JGC said:

Ooh, I got a notification from being quoted. 

For auditory imposition, I highly recommend finding a source of white or pink noise. I've had luck with both wearing headphones/earbuds and with having the source be away from me (a fan directly behind me, and a fan across the room.) You might get quick results but also don't give up quickly if you don't get quick results: with the fan, it was about two and a half hours before I started being able to really auditory-impose into that noise. 

What you (or your headmate) should try to do is "grab onto" bits of the white noise- see patterns that aren't there. It's kinda like trying to look for shapes in clouds, but with noise instead. You can start with words, but really I've had the best luck starting with only sounds. Go "duh, duh, duh, duh" into the noise, or "shh, shh, shh." Once you can see those patterns consistently, you can make them more elaborate. 

Or, with the fan across the room, that was really entirely on my tulpas. They were talking, and they mentally placed their location into that source of white noise instead of in wonderland. I could only hear them softly, like through a not-quite-tuned radio, but it felt 100% like the audio was coming from within the fan, not just a mental simulation of noise. 

Also try imposing at different times of the day- some experiences are easier to access right before or after sleeping, others need full, deep attention, others still seem to need you to be drained of energy. It's a pretty personal, individualized process. 

Good luck! 

-J

we already hear every noise because of aspergers, so possibly this might work? but at the same time, we would *not* have the patience of 2.5 hours : p

14 hours ago, Ranger said:

[Cat] I think it also helps to understand what state of mind you are in when you hallucinate. Basically, expectation that something is there is more important than creating a clear image. I remember being really tired once and I hallucinated my pet cat on the ground. It seemed really vivid, and when I was surprised to discover I hallucinated him. I also have times where I think I see things and then I double check and nothing is there. I believe this is the main reason why presence imposition works- you expect a perfect image of someone, and the brain delivers it until you realize it faded away.

also, for this, im not really sure how to create an expectation for something i *know* isnt *really* there. it just seems impossible for me to believe something is real while *knowing* its not. itd be like me as an atheist trying to get myself to believe in a god, when my entire self-philosophy draws the conclusion of gods being an impossibility (not trying to exclude religious folk, just stating what i believe)

1 hour ago, anashyean said:

also, for this, im not really sure how to create an expectation for something i *know* isnt *really* there. it just seems impossible for me to believe something is real while *knowing* its not. itd be like me as an atheist trying to get myself to believe in a god, when my entire self-philosophy draws the conclusion of gods being an impossibility (not trying to exclude religious folk, just stating what i believe)

It's like an accident, so you don't have to worry about what you believe or not. It's like the reflex of "ekk! spider!" and then you realize it's a laundry fuzzy. In that short moment though, you may see a hallucination of a spider.

For presence imposition it's like you jump because you are startled by a person behind you only to realize no one is there. This would be hard to do if you saw your tulpa coming. But if your tulpa wanted your attention and then spontaneously spawned behind you, that may catch you by surprise. If your tulpa but their hand in your shoulder, that may add to the spook. Once you turn around, they're gone, but it certainly felt like they were there. When this feeling is maintained, it makes my visualization of Ranger seem more vivid, and he feels like he belongs in reality, even though I know he's invisible.

You won't be surprised all of the time, but achieving this may help you feel better about achieving full imposition.

Having transparent blobs is exciting, good luck on your progress!

Note: I, Cat, wrote this, accidentally posted as Ranger

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I have had the exquisite pleasure of seeing Flora fully imposed rather early in our creation process.  I have written and posted about this in my progress reports on March 31st 2019, if you are interested. what I do now to facilitate full imposition, which is my goal, is a combination of daily invocation ritual,  practice visualizations, eyes partially of fully open meditations and maintaining the expectation that one or the other of them will be in my presence and visible any time I am alone.  Further I fully  believe in the reality of both my tulpa's and our ability to fully impose in reality. (Belief is a big factor in creating a reality, IMHO).  Both of them are able to impose tactilely, and audibly, and have been able from the beginning of my practice.  One of my big difficulties has been accepting that what I hear when I am practicing vocalizations by assigning the products of our shared brain to either her or Nsonowa, because the raw verbalization's produced by the brain, do not sound as either of them, when they impose, audibly. 

I fully intend to continue this practice until all of our contacts consist of fully imposed beings.  I hope you do too, as it has been incredibly satisfying and motivating when any part of them come through that way. Dr. Bob