How does one know that there tulpa is sending them a visual?

Freyja

This may seem a little confusing, but how would I go about understanding if an image in my head is my own or my tulpa?

For example, think of an apple. Think of an apple in your minds eye. You already have a pretty good idea of what an apple is, so without really thinking, the image comes to view, you didn't really have to give it time, or put mental effort into it. Which gets me to my point, when I ask my tulpa "Hey Freyja, can you show me what you look like?" or "Can you send me a visual of some sorts?" an image will arise. But how do I know that that image is hers? I'm fully capable of creating these images myself, is the expectation of the images arriving making me create them unintentionally? I'm not sure. But then again, Freyja is fairly young, and even her vocality is a little inconsistent, so am I expecting too much of her to show me an image?

Usually there's an 'author' behind the images. If someone asks me to think of an apple, it's pretty clear that it was me the one who made it arise. If I ask someone else to do it, then I know it was them. Because there's an intention behind the thought. In the first case I intended for it to appear and acknowledge it as my thought, while in the second case I didn't.

It feels different from when you read the word 'apple' and the image pops in. In that case that's just the brain reacting to what you're reading. Does it feel a bit foreign to you, as if you didn't recognize it as something you thought? I know she's young but couldn't you ask her if it was her?

Images arise kinda automatically here. If I'm thinking about something, I'll claim credit for the images that arise. If my tulpa is thinking about something, they'll claim credit. My tulpa realized at some point that they weren't creating the image, it was being served up to them by the unconscious and they could decide whether they wanted to go with that image or not. At the time they were thinking about what they wanted their personal wonderland to look like.

If you're asking your young tulpa to show you something, the image that arises may not be from her. You may assign ownership to her if you want to. I might recommend asking her to think about something in a little more detail and then accept what comes from that as her. Like, ask her to think a little more about what her form looks like, that should require more than a simple instant image from the unconscious. This advice is based on how mental imagery works for us, so it may not apply for everyone. When your tulpa is thinking, you should feel the thought process they're going through the way you feel your own thought process and intentions.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

12 hours ago, Mirichu said:

Usually there's an 'author' behind the images. If someone asks me to think of an apple, it's pretty clear that it was me the one who made it arise. If I ask someone else to do it, then I know it was them. Because there's an intention behind the thought. In the first case I intended for it to appear and acknowledge it as my thought, while in the second case I didn't.

It feels different from when you read the word 'apple' and the image pops in. In that case that's just the brain reacting to what you're reading. Does it feel a bit foreign to you, as if you didn't recognize it as something you thought? I know she's young but couldn't you ask her if it was her?

I do ask her, but her answers are inconsistent, sometimes she'll say yes or no for the same visual.

She's not sure about the images coming from her. You should try what YukariTelepath suggested and have her imagine something more detailed. Maybe, as she's imagining, ask her about it.