Anyone Else Had Switching Walk-Ins?

[Rouge] See title. Our system has dealt with seven this year, and we haven’t been able to find anyone else dealing with a similar issue. Has this happened to anyone else before? Any advice would be appreciated.

The only cases that I know that are related are cases where the system leaves an empty front and a new tulpa forms in the void. As far as I know, I'm afraid your case is unique.

In the cBox, the following ideas were thrown around and explored:

• Mindset
  • Guilt towards killing off new walk-ins
  • Accidentally creating an empty front
  • Stress, Depression, and Dysphoria
  • Switching and possession becoming one in the same
  • The switch-ins are alters

I think the discussions discussed there all had good points, but over time I became more biased in believing stress and dysphoria are the core of the problem and the switch-ins are a side effect. I also personally believe it's highly unlikely your system has alters. If your headmates were alters, my guess is you would have trauma holders, littles, or care takers show up and I believe you all would have reported more stress related to amnesia. On the other hand, I find it odd that your switching sometimes creates memory gaps or fuzz that makes it harder for new switch-ins to recall why they switched in or how they were created.

To help other people who don't use the cBox or don't always see the messages catch up, it may be a good idea to list ideas for solutions in this thread and continue the discussion here as well as in the cBox.

Of all of the possible ideas for solutions I remember coming up with, I think you all found having a rotation schedule for switching so each headmate only has to front for an hour or so to be the most effective solution so far. I remember you all expressing interest in having two headmates co-fronting to protect the front and something Vanessa said that was mindset related (I'm sorry I don't remember off the top of my head.) I also remember Vanessa made progress by successfully blocking other headmates from switching in.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I have come across people on a plural Discord server who also have switching walk-ins. One system in particular reminds me of your case--they started with a tulpa, but after depressive episodes leaving the front empty, new headmates would form in front. This situation has just continued for them. I've heard the term "Adaptive system" to describe these non-traumagenic systems who get new headmates like this. You can PM me if you want to know the server/person mentioned.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

11 hours ago, Ranger said:

The only cases that I know that are related are cases where the system leaves an empty front and a new tulpa forms in the void. As far as I know, I'm afraid your case is unique.

In the cBox, the following ideas were thrown around and explored:

• Mindset
  • Guilt towards killing off new walk-ins
  • Accidentally creating an empty front
  • Stress, Depression, and Dysphoria
  • Switching and possession becoming one in the same
  • The switch-ins are alters

I think the discussions discussed there all had good points, but over time I became more biased in believing stress and dysphoria are the core of the problem and the switch-ins are a side effect. I also personally believe it's highly unlikely your system has alters. If your headmates were alters, my guess is you would have trauma holders, littles, or care takers show up and I believe you all would have reported more stress related to amnesia. On the other hand, I find it odd that your switching sometimes creates memory gaps or fuzz that makes it harder for new switch-ins to recall why they switched in or how they were created.

To help other people who don't use the cBox or don't always see the messages catch up, it may be a good idea to list ideas for solutions in this thread and continue the discussion here as well as in the cBox.

Of all of the possible ideas for solutions I remember coming up with, I think you all found having a rotation schedule for switching so each headmate only has to front for an hour or so to be the most effective solution so far. I remember you all expressing interest in having two headmates co-fronting to protect the front and something Vanessa said that was mindset related (I'm sorry I don't remember off the top of my head.) I also remember Vanessa made progress by successfully blocking other headmates from switching in.

[Rouge] I think it's a good idea to keep talking about it in this thread. We've been doing a bit of a rotation schedule of sorts, but at the moment it's just using WheelDecide to pick someone else to switch in once the current fronter's had enough. I think it might be stress-related too, but I'm not sure if there's any way we can lessen that.

9 hours ago, YukariTelepath said:

I have come across people on a plural Discord server who also have switching walk-ins. One system in particular reminds me of your case--they started with a tulpa, but after depressive episodes leaving the front empty, new headmates would form in front. This situation has just continued for them. I've heard the term "Adaptive system" to describe these non-traumagenic systems who get new headmates like this. You can PM me if you want to know the server/person mentioned.

[Rouge] This sounds interesting. I've sent you a PM.

Also, I thought that Lemon had seemed to be fading away, until a couple of minutes ago when she switched in and then almost immediately gave the front back to me because she was satisfied she wasn't disappearing as much as I thought she was. Vanessa's still around too, because Evelyn (old thoughtform; not a switch-in) switched in yesterday and eventually gave it to her, so they're all still sticking around.

I might also just clarify that a "switch-in" is a switching walk-in, in case anyone gets confused.

[Rouge] A new walk-in appeared yesterday afternoon for seemingly no reason. I wasn't stressed out or anything, and I wasn't given much time to react before I went inactive. He's called himself Ninja. Currently we haven't done anything with the three lurkers we already have, so we don't really have plans for what to do with them. We've continued to ask around in different places for advice to stop this, but we still haven't come up with much.

At this point, I think you might be giving the problem in general more attention than needed. I get it's a serious thing and it's hard to avoid thinking about it when these walk-ins do what they do, but I have a feeling it's all you guys think about. It might be a dumb observation but I've noticed you mention them all the time, even when it is not related at all (''walk-in pizza machine'' ''what's the meaning of a walk-in'' or your member title, for example), and that makes me think your focus is 100% on them. Maybe it's got to a point where you guys automatically expect someone else is going to appear at any moment, and thinking about it all the time won't certainly help.

Just a random thought, I've already sort of exhausted walk-in advice.