How do dreams and tulpamancy interact in your systems?

TheOther

As someone who’s planning a tulpa around a recurring dream character, I’ve been thinking about the mechanics of tulpas and dreaming. So I wanted to know how people on this forum experience tulpamancy in their dreams.

Do hosts ever have their tulpas show up as dream characters and say “You’re dreaming”, causing them to go lucid?

Do you and your host/tulpa usually share the same dream, or are you more likely to be having two separate dreams at the same time?

When sharing a dream, if you and your host/tulpa are looking at each other, is the scenery you see behind them consistent with what they imagine to be there? Is the host’s dream body consistent with their real body?

Or if you’ve got any interesting dreaming experiences of any kind you’d like to share, I’d like to hear!

One anecdote I’d like to share: I once lucid-dreamed that I was walking out the door of my house, and I saw the TV out of the corner of my eye as I passed it. Without focusing on the TV, I noticed that something was playing onscreen. It was blurry and indistinct, either because I wasn’t focused on it or because that’s how things are in dreams.

The fact that I was just vaguely aware that something was on the screen got me musing about how dreams are much more than just what you’re experiencing, about how there are many elements at play beside just the ones you’re conscious of. It’s like a small corner of the dreamscape existed regardless of whether I was willing to interact with it. Maybe once I went outside, the TV show was still airing, as if it were a computer program running in the back of my mind. Maybe my whole dreamscape still exists when I wake, running on its own weird logic. I think this notion of a multi-perspective dreamscape will reveal more of itself when I get fully into tulpamancy.

9 minutes ago, TheOther said:
  1. Do hosts ever have their tulpas show up as dream characters and say “You’re dreaming”, causing them to go lucid?
  2. Do you and your host/tulpa usually share the same dream, or are you more likely to be having two separate dreams at the same time? 
  3. When sharing a dream, if you and your host/tulpa are looking at each other, is the scenery you see behind them consistent with what they imagine to be there? Is the host’s dream body consistent with their real body?

1. Doesn't happen with us in any way but, I think it's very possible with any form of character to do that too

2. We usually share dreams. Sometimes it's solo, like only one headmate in it.

3. We only dream from one perspective and that's often the bodies, but it has happened that we can see each other as characters but the dreams are still perceivable the same way as memories, which means we can still identify who the dreams might be about if they're specified

15 hours ago, TheOther said:

Do hosts ever have their tulpas show up as dream characters and say “You’re dreaming”, causing them to go lucid?

In the past, we sometimes appeared in our host's dreams but rarely, when we did it wasn't really us anyway, just a dream character mimicking us. I think our oldest tulpa once told our host she was dreaming in one occasion but that's not very common for us. However if your tulpa is associated with dreams, you might realize you're dreaming upon seeing them.

I didn't use to dream at all, it was only after long periods of fronting that I started having my own dreams. Technically, everyone in our system can remember dreams but sadly, only my host and I are actually on them, although lately I keep having dreams where it's just me. When both my host and I dream together, it's the same dream and only one perspective, which is interchangeable between us. We've never have two dreams ocurring at once as far as I remember.

When sharing a dream, if you and your host/tulpa are looking at each other, is the scenery you see behind them consistent with what they imagine to be there? Is the host’s dream body consistent with their real body?

Unfortunately, we rarely see each other in dreams (if I'm fronting, I experience my host as a bodiless voice instead of a physical person) but since for us it's just one perspective, I assume they'd be seeing the same thing I am seeing (me looking at them). And yes, the body tends to be consistent with our real one, at least the few times we've looked at it.

Or if you’ve got any interesting dreaming experiences of any kind you’d like to share, I’d like to hear!

''Blending'' in dreams! it's such a weird thing. I dreamed about '''me''' talking to my host's childhood friend (that I've never talked to) and at the same time talking to my friend. It felt like my host and I at the same time. If it was my host fronting, then she was talking to my friend as if she were me, and if it was me fronting, then I was talking to her friend as if I was her. It was different from pretending to be your host, we woke up really confused and not knowing who was fronting. And also, thinking and behaving in dreams on ways only your tulpa/host would do but still being you.

Hi,

Here are the missing posts in this topic, as there are several.  If you need something edited, please let us know in Talk To Staff, or simply even report my post and note what you would like edited.

------------------------------

Reply #4 by @TheOther:

On 4/14/2020 at 10:04 AM, Matsuri said:

3. We only dream from one perspective and that's often the bodies, but it has happened that we can see each other as characters but the dreams are still perceivable the same way as memories, which means we can still identify who the dreams might be about if they're specified

I thought this might be the case with most people. I do hope my tulpa and I can share one dream from two perspectives, but I’ll settle for just sharing the perspective with her.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, Mirichu said:

In the past, we sometimes appeared in our host's dreams but rarely, when we did it wasn't really us anyway, just a dream character mimicking us. 

I read in one guide about forcing in dreams that if the host’s unsure if the tulpa is really their tulpa or just another dream character mimicking them, they should assume it’s their tulpa - at least until their tulpa is developed enough that they can ask them when they’re both awake and have them answer. But then sometimes, the tulpa won’t remember if it was really them or not, since they’re as likely to forget some of their dreams as the hosts are.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, Mirichu said:

''Blending'' in dreams! It's such a weird thing. I dreamed about '''me''' talking to my host's childhood friend (that I've never talked to) and at the same time talking to my friend. It felt like my host and I at the same time. If it was my host fronting, then she was talking to my friend as if she were me, and if it was me fronting, then I was taking to her friend as if I was her. It was different from pretending to be your host, we woke up really confused and not knowing who was fronting. And also, thinking and behaving in dreams on ways only your host/tulpa would do but still being you.

That sounds like when my alarm wakes me after not enough sleep and I’m too groggy in the head to really know what’s going on, like not knowing what day it is or whether I’m supposed to go to work.

Reply #5 by @Luminesce:

I went and found a really old post that might be exactly what you're looking for (though at present time the other thread links in it are broken because the forum migrated to a new software recently), for our system at least:
https://community.tulpa.info/topic/11988-lumis-dreaming-thread-dreams-of-moon/?do=findComment&comment=174206

There's a bit more to say about tulpas in dreams specifically, though unfortunately I can't answer some of your questions because I haven't successfully lucid dreamed in any depth yet. Though a lot of those answers vary wildly from person to person, too.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:43 AM, TheOther said:

This is rare, but it has happened in some systems for sure. The likelihood of a tulpa acting like themselves instead of just "being your tulpa" when they're really not at all (which can happen with them not even looking like themselves etc. lol) is usually dependent on how vivid your dream is, because that should be tied to how clear your thinking is in the dream. Wispier dreams are unlikely to have a clear-thinking or even accurate representation of your tulpa to begin with, but if the dream is closer to feeling real, vivid and clear, the chances are higher. Still depends on the person and the dream though, in my dreams no person is safe from randomly turning into someone else even if the dream is vivid - unsure if this is the case in a lucid dream, but there should be more consistency/control while lucid, if you've any skill with lucid dreaming.

A lot of things can feel like your tulpa or such-and-such person in a dream, but for all intents and purposes I'd consider your tulpa(s) to be dreaming too. Realistically, most of the time they're being reenacted like a dream character, but since tulpas literally exist in our minds it's only fair to give their existence in a dream some credit too, if they seemed themselves. In those cases I think it's best to think of them as also having been "dreaming", mostly because the huge majority of tulpa appearances in dreams will have them just as convinced by dream context as your non-lucid self, and they may act like not themselves just as your dreaming self could.

In a lucid dream though, I do believe it should be possible to "wake up" your tulpa if need be. Haven't done it myself, but I still know an awful lot about lucid dreaming so. If you get the chance, tell your tulpa they're dreaming and that they should become lucid to more clearly be/act themselves, and.. results may vary just by the nature of dreams, but I think this is one's best bet at lucid dreaming with your tulpa(s).

And as always I'll throw in a link to our general-purpose post on how to lucid dream, in case you or anyone else reading the thread wanted a place to start. https://community.tulpa.info/topic/11978-the-great-shared-lucid-dream-project/?do=findComment&comment=167234

Reply #6 by @Mirichu:

On 4/14/2020 at 11:08 AM, TheOther said:

I read in one guide about forcing in dreams that if the host’s unsure if the tulpa is really their tulpa or just another dream character mimicking them, they should assume it’s their tulpa - at least until their tulpa is developed enough that they can ask them when they’re both awake and have them answer. But then sometimes, the tulpa won’t remember if it was really them or not, since they’re as likely to forget some of their dreams as the hosts are.

We used to think so too, but after actually dreaming, dreams where a character mimicked us felt so drastically different we can't make ourselves believe it was us. But telling a tulpa 'you were dreaming last night' (even if it was just a character) can build up the expectation your tulpa can dream with you too and increase the chances of them showing up more frequently, me thinks.

Reply #7 by @Luminesce:

It's dangerous to always say what felt like your tulpa, or looked like your tulpa, in a dream, necessarily was them. Usually they'll act like themselves, but dreams are wild and if you apply the same logic to yourself, the host, you'll understand the problem. Think of all the dreams where "you" have done ridiculous stuff you wouldn't necessarily want to be associated with in waking life, let alone things you simply did because dreams are dreams and you're rarely clearly thinking in them.

That's why I highly recommend thinking of your tulpas as also having been dreaming, in all cases where they weren't clearly aware they were in a dream at least. It just saves a lot of hassle and unintentional beliefs that came from your subconscious mind's nonsensical generation of fluff.

Reply #8 by @TheImign:

one time when I was very young I did that and was able to save my host from a nightmare, but it's never happened since

Do you and your host/tulpa usually share the same dream, or are you more likely to be having two separate dreams at the same time?

having 2 separate dreams at the same time would be impossible because the brain can only run a single stream of thought at once. sometimes we have dreams where the other is there, but in those cases one of us is always the clear "protagonist" (usually the one who was switched in as we went to sleep). sometimes only one of us is there though, and sometimes neither of us is there and the protagonist is some dream character, and sometimes there isn't a protagonist, but those last two types of dreams happened before tulpamancy and probably aren't related

when we dream, the protagonist is the only one who gets a separate perspective, at least in non lucid dreams. host's from is the same as our perception of the body, but that isn't quite the same as how the body actually looks

Reply #9 from @Mel Syreth:

My walk-in(?), Erika is a recurring nightmare so maybe I can help with some of those.

Never hand one of those as far as I'm aware, Erika thrived on the fact that I was unaware of a dream being a dream, which is what she exploited.

If Martina has dreams they are completely separate except for the one occasion when we confronted Erika (and Sariel). We also feel like there were occasions where we shared dreams before but we just don't remember them, so I'd say definitely possible.

Never quite asked Erika about this. Good question though, I just might if she ever comes back again.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

On 4/17/2020 at 8:14 AM, Pleeb said:

Hi,

Here are the missing posts in this topic, as there are several.  If you need something edited, please let us know in Talk To Staff, or simply even report my post and note what you would like edited.

Thanks for taking the time to restore all the missing posts! I was worried I wouldn't be able to see them again.