Looking for Advice on How My Tulpa Can Start the Conversation

TheGuy

(edited)

I'm not really sure how to ask this question succinctly as in the title, as it is a bit more specific and needs something of an explanation.

We're relatively far along in the overall process as far as I can tell. Short of when other people demand my attention, I am able to maintain focus and passively force at nearly all times throughout the day. I've started working on imposition and we talk very frequently. Our conversations are varied and the responses complicated enough that I'm fairly confidently past questioning sentience.

The problem that we're facing now is in the fact that In all cases I am the one directing the conversation. It's often enough that something is asked or said to initiate without my input, but even these inevitably segue into a mostly one sided conversation with comparatively short responses. As this seems to be the next hurdle, I've set my sights on forcing specifically with this goal in mind, eventually hoping to be able to sit back and listen to more long form rambling, or at least participate in a conversation that I am not guiding myself.

With that said, I am hoping that someone could offer some advice for how to continue. We haven't really put in that much effort but the only thing I could think of to begin with tackling the project was to simply sit and listen. In one 30 minute session I imagined a simple sitting-room of sorts and tried to focus on them while saying nothing myself, just waiting for a response. besides a little small talk and words of encouragement, I got nothing, even less than we talk just going about our day. I understand that a process such as this likely wouldn't see an obvious breakthrough in such a short amount of time, but the experience has made me doubt that this is an effective way to accomplish it, so I'd be very appreciative to hear some other suggestions.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has any input as to the logic behind this sort of process, presumably based on experience. I'm still not yet entirely confident with my ability to listen (I'll still confuse a response with my own thoughts or vice-versa, every so often), though based on the questions I've asked it doesn't seem to be a problem with my being able to hear, but with their ability to think about and process topics that I'm not actively thinking about. That is to say, they can think tangentially about a concept or topic that I am focusing on, but can't think of or create one from scratch. I've put alot of thought into this sort of thing so that I could figure out exactly where we stand and what needs to be done. Getting some input based on other's experiences would be extremely helpful.

I wasn't really sure whether or not to flag this as a question or discussion, because I'm looking for a bit of both. Thanks all!

Edited by Ranger
Changed title to be more specific

there isn't much that you can do other than to give your tulpa lot's of attention and encourage them to add their input to a conversation as much possible. perhaps you could try improv games like '3 word story' or 'yes and' to get them to talk more and convey more complex ideas in a more fun way than just asking them questions and such. just sitting with them in silence might not be the best method for getting your tulpa more vocal though, because it's generally easier to come up with things to say if there is already a prompt or a topic or something, and also, if your tulpa doesn't respond for a while then it can be easy for your mind to wander and stop paying attention to your tulpa. for most people, if your tulpa doesn't start out super vocal, it will be a gradual process to get them there, so just keep at it and you'll see small improvements as you go

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Give them some prompts or topics to think about, and they can try to talk as much about that topic on their own. If they get stuck, guide them along a bit, just ask them more questions to get them thinking. It's a good way for them to explore their own thoughts and build opinions about things.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

Sometimes conversations are hard. Gray isn't always the chattiest host, and sometimes it feels like I have to pull his teeth to talk to him. I doubt having a more reserved tulpa is much different.

Sometimes having a topic can help. 42 and 1/2 things to do with your tulpa and Topics to Talk About with Your Tulpa can be handy, and recently we stumbled across randomlists.com as a resource for finding out new things to talk about.

If that doesn't help, sometimes having them do something can give them something they can update you on. If for instance they decide they want to build a giant sand castle in wonderland, maybe they will want to talk about how they're going to build it. It also helps if they have in real life interests. For instance, if they like decorating, they may want to wake up and talk about decorating when they see it. Maybe they want to ask you about what you're doing. (Unless it's really boring, than what are you doing? Do something more exciting!)

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try spitballing some conversation topics and see if that's enough of a springboard to get them talking.

To be honest though, I think it might have more to do with a frame-of-mind issue. I've never really sat down and tried to force it, but I've noticed that it is very difficult to hear anything when I clear my mind and only try listening for a response. It's almost as if I have to be distracted or at least thinking about something else for anything to come through. Trying to rationalize this is how I arrived at the conclusion in the op. At first I thought that I may have been blocking out communication while trying to focus on nothing, but they've never said as much and I've otherwise never gotten the impression that they were trying to speak to me and I was ignoring it.

The only other thing that makes sense is that they aren't yet capable. I've seen the term "parallel processing" thrown around every so often and to my understanding this is in reference to a tulpa's ability to think about or "process" information independently of the host. Rationalizing something like this would lead me to believe that development is more of a gradual process, with the early stages being completely incapable of independent thought (as in the initial stages before a tulpa can respond or react in any way, basically nonexistent besides the intention to develop) and later being completely capable of thinking separately from the host. If this is a good enough explanation for how it works, generally, then it would make sense to me if somewhere down the line you could reach a point where a tulpa can think but only in terms related to the host's thoughts, not quite capable orfcreating their own from scratch. I think this is about where we stand, or at least it's the best explanation that I can come up with to fit our experience.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts about this, thanks again!

On 6/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, TheGuy said:

I've noticed that it is very difficult to hear anything when I clear my mind and only try listening for a response. It's almost as if I have to be distracted or at least thinking about something else for anything to come through. Trying to rationalize this is how I arrived at the conclusion in the op. At first I thought that I may have been blocking out communication while trying to focus on nothing, but they've never said as much and I've otherwise never gotten the impression that they were trying to speak to me and I was ignoring it.

Try not to clear your mind when you talk with them. They use the same parts of the brain to think as you do, and when you clear the mind or focus on nothing, they may not be able to think in that state. In a sense, when you listen intently like that, you are directing the brain to listen... when it needs to be thinking from your tulpa's perspective. It can take some practice to find that balance between listening and not clearing the mind. But when you talk to your tulpa, pause and listen, and just let the thoughts flow. You may feel some parrotnoia, but just let the thoughts form anyway. You want to encourage the brain to create tulpa thoughts, the more they think, the more there is to them--the mind will start building a database of things your tulpa has said and done, and they'll become more consistent and real over time.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log