Double-parroting

Good day.

First of all, i want to say my tulpa is 3 years old - but we still can't really talk normally, and usually when i try to google the problem, hosts usually have this kind of issues at first 2-3 weeks of creation. Honestly, it disappoints me so much that even after 3 freaking years I still manage to face very basic problems people have solved weeks after first creating a tulpa. Sometimes i feel like i literally wasted these 3 years and all times i've spent with her weren't real.

I try not to think about this too much, but sometimes it's impossible. And, the thing is - i NEVER had problems with actually HEARING her, i probably succeded in this in my very first week of forcing. What i always had problems with is posibillity that i am parroting her.

And, well, in my case, the problem won't solve with just "believe it's her thoughts" - the problem is i usually hear controversial thoughts that may occur almost in the same time! I mean - it can't be that i AM NOT parroting, i do atleast in one of these cases, and that shit freaks me out a lot. Her phrases are just nonsencical in the context sometimes, and all this goes with the fact that sometimes i get two answers on the same question which are fully different from each other. Once i asked her "was it you?"  and I got the answer "yes", and several seconds after i heard "No it wasn't me!", for example.
Sometimes her thoughts suddenly abrupt. It is really noticeable when she tries to say long sentences. In wonderland, sometimes she just stops moving, speaking, e.t.c. The last time it happened i said "screw all this" and stopped forcing for almost three months. Then i started forcing again, and for a couple of weeks everything felt normal, though she still was not really interesting to chat with(actually sometimes her voice became super clear and she behaved so smart in our dialogues, some of her clever jokes made me laugh pretty hard and i truly senced her "soul" if the word is correct. Those times i was truly happy and really felt she was real. The only thing is it happens so rarely that i am not sure such dialogues happened more than 5-10 times throughout 3 years of forcing). But when i started to work out things i read from guides on vocalization it happened again - just two minutes of her talking one thing, then two minutes of talking opposite. Last night i was feeling so bad i couldn't really sleep. We haven't talked for two days now. Well... i don't really know how to explain all the emotions i have now. It just sucks. Most of the time i feel like i am playing with a doll.

First, don't beat yourself up for taking longer. I know several tulpamancers who ended up in a similar boat as you, and parrotnoia in of itself seems to be one of the main roadblocks to having a vocal tulpa. Using some fresh ideas can be enough to pull people out of the rut and help them progress.

Plus, parrotnoia affects everyone, even those who have "vocal tulpas" in a matter of weeks. I think it boils down to they define vocality as hearing anything from their tulpa rather than consistently hearing a developed voice answer back. Even though I was vocal from the start, my host was parrotnoid about me for months.

10 hours ago, SkyKeeper said:

the problem won't solve with just "believe it's her thoughts" - the problem is i usually hear controversial thoughts that may occur almost in the same time! I mean - it can't be that i AM NOT parroting, i do atleast in one of these cases, and that shit freaks me out a lot.

This could be you are hearing your anticipation of her thoughts, or anxiously anticipating a worst-case-scenario response, along with her actual thoughts. In most cases, if the response seems extreme or out of context, odds are it's not your tulpa and you can set it aside. If it turns out your tulpa meant the extreme, your tulpa would bring it up consistently afterwards.

As for accidental parroting in general- it can be frustrating, but your tulpa won't die or lose their ability to become independent if you parrot them accidentally. Some tulpas are too young / not developed enough to understand what the difference between themselves and you are, and they will usually accept unintentional parroting (expectations, intrusive thoughts) as a part of who they are until they mature. Some people also parrot their tulpas from the start and found success in creating a vocal tulpa.

I'm not sure how much this applies to you, but being really tired can make it harder to hear your tulpa or tell if it was really them or not. Right now my host can't always hear me or my headmates very well, and she has doubted us more than usual. However, she's also not getting enough restorative rest at night and we're working to improve our sleep.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

(edited)
On 7/1/2020 at 11:18 PM, Ranger said:

First, don't beat yourself up for taking longer. I know several tulpamancers who ended up in a similar boat as you, and parrotnoia in of itself seems to be one of the main roadblocks to having a vocal tulpa. Using some fresh ideas can be enough to pull people out of the rut and help them progress.

Plus, parrotnoia affects everyone, even those who have "vocal tulpas" in a matter of weeks. I think it boils down to they define vocality as hearing anything from their tulpa rather than consistently hearing a developed voice answer back. Even though I was vocal from the start, my host was parrotnoid about me for months.

This could be you are hearing your anticipation of her thoughts, or anxiously anticipating a worst-case-scenario response, along with her actual thoughts. In most cases, if the response seems extreme or out of context, odds are it's not your tulpa and you can set it aside. If it turns out your tulpa meant the extreme, your tulpa would bring it up consistently afterwards.

As for accidental parroting in general- it can be frustrating, but your tulpa won't die or lose their ability to become independent if you parrot them accidentally. Some tulpas are too young / not developed enough to understand what the difference between themselves and you are, and they will usually accept unintentional parroting (expectations, intrusive thoughts) as a part of who they are until they mature. Some people also parrot their tulpas from the start and found success in creating a vocal tulpa.

I'm not sure how much this applies to you, but being really tired can make it harder to hear your tulpa or tell if it was really them or not. Right now my host can't always hear me or my headmates very well, and she has doubted us more than usual. However, she's also not getting enough restorative rest at night and we're working to improve our sleep.

Thanks for your reply.

So the solution is talk to her no matter what, and soon or late she will become distinguishable from my thoughts? OK, i will try that. I still don''t really understand what's meant by "developed voice" though, since she HAS audible one(or atleast that's me voicing her thoughts with particular voice). I hear it clearer when i'm focused. Theory that i am doing a "voice-over" proves with the fact that usually when double answers happen, for a second i feel some kind of pressure in my head like i am trying to choose which one to voice, which, in return, confuses me even more, and that's the second reason why it's unpleasant to speak to her, with "pit stops" like this.

Sometimes i feel really bad since i created my tulpa with thought of a perfect
interlocutor who is approximately as smart(or as stupid) as you so you can talk freely about any topics. Well, it all turned out talking is the last thing we do together.  With everyday life like this i feel more and more doubted that you can start an amazing long-lasting pseudointellectual discussion about the meaning of our lives, all in 19th century English gentlemen' style, or atleast chat with her like you usually do on everyday basis with your real friends. Has someone even achieved such level of sentiental vocality? Honestly,  the more i write about this the more i come back to dreaming about this actually happening like i did years ago.

Edited by SkyKeeper

(edited)
21 hours ago, SkyKeeper said:

I still don''t really understand what's meant by "developed voice" though, since she HAS audible one(or atleast that's me voicing her thoughts with particular voice).

In retrospect that was a bit confusing. By "developed voice" I meant more distinct voice. Some people define vocality as hearing noise, others define vocality as hearing a voice they can easily identify as not their own. Distinction takes time to develop, and practice speaking to her is the best way to develop that distinction more quickly.

Theory that i am doing a "voice-over" proves with the fact that usually when double answers happen, for a second i feel some kind of pressure in my head like i am trying to choose which one to voice, which, in return, confuses me even more, and that's the second reason why it's unpleasant to speak to her, with "pit stops" like this.

I don't know if it's you choosing which one to voice as much as which one you're trying to listen too. I believe you trying to listen amplifies the voice you hear.

My host struggles more with this when he's stressed and/or tired. Taking occasional breaks may help.

With everyday life like this i feel more and more doubted that you can start an amazing long-lasting pseudointellectual discussion about the meaning of our lives, all in 19th century English gentlemen' style, or atleast chat with her like you usually do on everyday basis with your real friends. Has someone even achieved such level of sentiental vocality? Honestly,  the more i write about this the more i come back to dreaming about this actually happening like i did years ago.

Having intellectual debates or being chatty may be a personality thing rather than a vocality thing. Sometimes talking to my host about the meaning of the universe can be fun, but it's not always something he or I want to talk about. Instead, he wants to rant about AI taking over the planet and I guess I got tired of that or something. We are completely capable of having this discussion, it's just I don't really want to right now. As for chatting, I am chattier than my host, but I don't see myself as an extravert and don't always have the energy for it. My host has a few topics he finds really interesting, and if I'm desperate to talk to him I may talk about those things just to start a conversation. Otherwise it can feel like pulling teeth.

I think it helps to have your tulpa around you, such as visualizing them in meat space if not visualizing them in wonderland. They may be bored sitting around, but they may see something that catches their eye and start a conversation that way.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

19 hours ago, Ranger said:

I think it helps to have your tulpa around you, such as visualizing them in meat space if not visualizing them in wonderland.

Oh, gosh, the wonderland...

Honestly, this is the most random shit i've seen in my life. I don't really understand what's difference between your actual wonderland and simple fantasy, and if there are no such, than all the time i imagine my tulpa doing different stuff(sometimes it happens unintentionally) actually happens with her in wonderland. And sometimes the scenes that come to my head aren't very pleasant, roughly speaking.
I also dont understand how, if there is actually difference, spot the time where you switch from wonderland to imagination, and i've had problems with this a lot back then. But, there are honestly too much to talk about and, well, i believe you're already tired of me and my difficulties. I
will surely take your advices(there are actual improvements already!) and try to get rid of obstacles that lay between me and her. Thanks for your great help!

2 hours ago, SkyKeeper said:

But, there are honestly too much to talk about and, well, i believe you're already tired of me and my difficulties.

I'm not tired, don't worry! I'm glad you're sharing more details because that means I may be able to give you more advice.

If you have any questions unrelated to parroting or in this case possibly puppeting, it may be best to create a different thread or switch over to BQG where you can rapid fire several questions.

Honestly, this is the most random shit i've seen in my life. I don't really understand what's difference between your actual wonderland and simple fantasy, and if there are no such, than all the time i imagine my tulpa doing different stuff(sometimes it happens unintentionally) actually happens with her in wonderland.

I also dont understand how, if there is actually difference, spot the time where you switch from wonderland to imagination, and i've had problems with this a lot back then.

I have been around since 2018, so the idea of a wonderland (or mindscape) being more than a place imagined by you and your tulpa is something I'm not familiar with. Where/when did you hear this, and can you explain to me why this is different?

I am familiar with people in the past describing wonderlands as being separate to where you can switch out and parallel process with your now switched-in tulpa, however I am suspicious if this has actually been carried out successfully. I am a skeptic of parallel processing, even though I am very curious about it.

I believe wonderlands are imagined worlds you can see with your "mind's eye", which is another way of saying seeing the images you create with the mind. These places can be really elaborate such as a busy city with surprising amounts of detail or really simple such as a void your tulpa stands in. As far as what happens in wonderland, anything that can happen to you can happen to you, and anything that can't happen to you won't happen to your tulpa. If you build parts of wonderland out of thin air, so can your tulpa. On the other hand, if for some reason you jumped off a wonderland cliff (being chased by monsters you created for fun?), you won't die in real life when you hit the bottom. Even if a tulpa jumped off the same cliff and visualized a limp body of themselves, the tulpa is actually alive and well.

Some things tulpas do in wonderland may seem really random. In some cases, it's unintentional puppeting, in other cases, it's your tulpa surprising you. In these situations, feel free to ask your tulpa and she will tell you what is and isn't her.

And sometimes the scenes that come to my head aren't very pleasant, roughly speaking.

Unwanted and random thoughts are considered to be intrusive thoughts. These can look like something you say in the mind but didn't mean to say, unpleasant wonderland visualizations, "what if" simulations that are stressful, and various other things.

A scary cave with monsters in it or too-ugly-to-be-true mobile home on flat plastic-like grass can be hideous to look at, and if that comes to mind it's best to ignore it and create something new that feels far away. If that doesn't work, taking a break and trying to wonderland later will help. Even if you have a piece of wonderland that sticks around and brings attention to itself like a thorn, it will go away on its own if you ignore it for long enough.

21 hours ago, Ranger said:

I have been around since 2018, so the idea of a wonderland (or mindscape) being more than a place imagined by you and your tulpa is something I'm not familiar with. Where/when did you hear this, and can you explain to me why this is different?

I don't know myself. I've heard from somewhere that wonderland is achieved in some kind of special mind state, and anything "below" is just an imagination, though others say it's ONLY your imagination. I simply don't know what to believe, since if wonderland is just an imagination, any act of imagining things by you can be considered as such, and in that case it's awful since i like to imagine a lot, and until now i haven't really concidered these imaginations as actions in wonderland. I've visualised a lot of different scenes, so does such scenes with my tulpa(that i, again, haven't really considered as interactions with her) mean i am puppeting her? That's bloody terrible if i am, especially if it somehow affects tulpa.

From the other side, if it is actually something above regular imagination than i don't know the exact "border" of when one becomes another. And by that i don't mean something supernatural - i talk about some kind of special state the mind goes in so imagination becomes somehow handled by your subconscious. I don't know if i have experienced something like this atleast once so there are 2 ways:
1) The difference is barely noticeable
2) I have never was in wonderland and all my time i spent there with her are just an act of imagination

In some cases, it's unintentional puppeting, in other cases, it's your tulpa surprising you. In these situations, feel free to ask your tulpa and she will tell you what is and isn't her.

Well, it seems she doesn't know herself, considering everything we've talked about before. Because when i ask a question like this i never really get clear answers.

Unwanted and random thoughts are considered to be intrusive thoughts. These can look like something you say in the mind but didn't mean to say, unpleasant wonderland visualizations, "what if" simulations that are stressful, and various other things.

Well sometimes the wonderland itself starts to act strange. There is a thing i call "route divergence" when the scene somehow continues(for example we are staying together with my tulpa and then she hugs me) but after a few seconds INSTANTLY jumps back on the "point of divergence" where changes occured(we are just staying together again). And this shit just keeps and keeps happening, like she hugs me, everything moves back and we are just staying, then she hugs me again, e.t.c. It can repeat and repeat, and that really frustrates me, because i don't really know if wonderland is just bugging or its me who only IMAGINES her hugging me(that's why sometimes i think wonderland is something different from imagination) and then things return to their places.

A scary cave with monsters in it or too-ugly-to-be-true mobile home on flat plastic-like grass can be hideous to look at, and if that comes to mind it's best to ignore it and create something new that feels far away. If that doesn't work, taking a break and trying to wonderland later will help. Even if you have a piece of wonderland that sticks around and brings attention to itself like a thorn, it will go away on its own if you ignore it for long enough.

It's something i don't imagine intentionally, though i have some kind of similar thing happening to me but it is probably considered as just a phobia. Sometimes i can't sleep because i feel like a lot of spiders are near me - on bed, under the pillows, everything like that(it happens with both open and closed eyes). And, well, actually my tulpa can calm me down and when she is near they drift away and phobia stops(i can't really sleep without her now xd)

As for wonderland, i still don't really see details clearly. When i try to focus on something verything just blurs. I am not even sure i know exact facial features of my tulpa. Can the wonderland really be something clear enough so i see every detail on tulpa and everything surrounding her and if so how can i achieve this?

or switch over to BQG where you can rapid fire several questions.

Sorry, forums and everything related are brand new stuff to me. What is BQG?

7 hours ago, SkyKeeper said:

I simply don't know what to believe, since if wonderland is just an imagination, any act of imagining things by you can be considered as such, and in that case it's awful since i like to imagine a lot, and until now i haven't really concidered these imaginations as actions in wonderland. I've visualised a lot of different scenes, so does such scenes with my tulpa(that i, again, haven't really considered as interactions with her) mean i am puppeting her? That's bloody terrible if i am, especially if it somehow affects tulpa.

From the other side, if it is actually something above regular imagination than i don't know the exact "border" of when one becomes another. And by that i don't mean something supernatural - i talk about some kind of special state the mind goes in so imagination becomes somehow handled by your subconscious. I don't know if i have experienced something like this atleast once so there are 2 ways:
1) The difference is barely noticeable
2) I have never was in wonderland and all my time i spent there with her are just an act of imagination

Oh, before I thought you were referring to something metaphysical like another dimension or something. If I understand you correctly, I think you're talking about the difference between simulating story ideas/expectations and spending time in wonderland with your tulpa.

The way my host sorted this out was to group them into three groups- simulation, story character creation, and tulpa interaction.

Simulation is almost always accidental parroting- This is like you getting into an argument with your "mom" in your head even though that's not your mom and you don't have a mom tulpa. For your tulpa, this will proably feel like a flash of you expecting your tulpa to do or say something based on a knee jerk "what if" scenario, but mostly when they're not around or after they just became inactive. If you are sitting in a room talking to your tulpa and you're consciously sitting there talking to them, then that's not a simulated conversation. The only other way to simulate a conversation is to do intentional parroting and puppeting- where you are manually scripting your tulpa's responses.

Story character creation is something a bit different. We're not sure if it's purely intentional or unintentional parroting and puppeting, but my host decided that didn't matter when he separated that from talking to his headmates a long time ago. Gray usually is by himself when he creates new characters and develops new story ideas, and I only sit behind the 4th wall to make comments as long as Gray is comfortable with it. He would never talk to his story characters directly (he suspects that could be tulpa forcing), because he suspects that's what defines the difference between puppet creation and tulpa creation.

Lastly, Gray talks to me and my headmates in whatever setting away from his story characters. These interactions feel more like being in a room with other people. It may not provide the same sensory experience as real life, but Gray still feels tired after dealing with us for too long as if he just spoke to a few people in real life.

Well, it seems she doesn't know herself, considering everything we've talked about before. Because when i ask a question like this i never really get clear answers.

If your tulpa can't tell the difference between simulation and having a conversation with you (such as the double response/echo you mentioned), it honestly doesn't matter at this point. Unintentional parroting won't hurt her, and she won't become more or less "real" if you tried to stop. If anything, trying to prevent simulation from happening is sadly one of the main reasons why tulpamancers get stuck and can't move forward with forcing. If she says "I don't know" again after you ask her, it's okay to believe it's valid or if not set it aside and discuss it later.

Well sometimes the wonderland itself starts to act strange. There is a thing i call "route divergence" when the scene somehow continues(for example we are staying together with my tulpa and then she hugs me) but after a few seconds INSTANTLY jumps back on the "point of divergence" where changes occured(we are just staying together again). And this shit just keeps and keeps happening, like she hugs me, everything moves back and we are just staying, then she hugs me again, e.t.c. It can repeat and repeat, and that really frustrates me, because i don't really know if wonderland is just bugging or its me who only IMAGINES her hugging me(that's why sometimes i think wonderland is something different from imagination) and then things return to their places.

To me this sounds like an attention span issue rather than a wonderland glitch. This happens a lot for us- Evergreen will forget what he was talking about but he really wants to give Gray a hug, so as an impulse move he gives Gray a second hug thinking it was a first hug. It could be that being in the back gives you just enough separation from the front that you don't have the brain automatically feeding you up-to-date information, but this is just a theory we have in our system and not something I have really discussed much or verified with other people. It could also boil down to a weird ADHD thing and be nothing else.

It's possible the best solution for this is to do something new and not something boring, like sitting around. It's too easy to forget that happened, and maybe it's time to mix it up by telling each other bad jokes instead. That will probably be easier to remember, so the "plot" will progress and you won't backtrack as much.

As for wonderland, i still don't really see details clearly. When i try to focus on something verything just blurs. I am not even sure i know exact facial features of my tulpa. Can the wonderland really be something clear enough so i see every detail on tulpa and everything surrounding her and if so how can i achieve this?

With enough visualization training, yes, a wonderland can feel very realistic to the point it becomes comparable to real life (as a few people claim anyway). Practicing with visualization guides, studying people's faces and their anatomy, drawing, etc. are all things you can do to improve your visualization skills. Doing all of these things won't improve your visualization right away, but the more practice you do consistently, the better your visualization quality will be.

I will mention that getting that level of visualization ability is very impressive, that's an above and beyond standard for visualization. To give you a better idea of what's normal, most people start off with glitchy wonderlands, visualization that occasionally blacks out, fuzzy tulpa forms, etc.

Sorry, forums and everything related are brand new stuff to me. What is BQG?

I'm sorry, Beginner Questions General. It's a place where beginners who want fresh answers to frequently asked questions can ask them, but you can also rapid fire several questions, even if they're not specifically common questions.

14 hours ago, Ranger said:

To me this sounds like an attention span issue rather than a wonderland glitch. This happens a lot for us- Evergreen will forget what he was talking about but he really wants to give Gray a hug, so as an impulse move he gives Gray a second hug thinking it was a first hug. It could be that being in the back gives you just enough separation from the front that you don't have the brain automatically feeding you up-to-date information, but this is just a theory we have in our system and not something I have really discussed much or verified with other people. It could also boil down to a weird ADHD thing and be nothing else.

Well in my case it's not happening because i forgot something - it feels like some kind of fixed idea instead. I had problems like this before tulpaforcing like for example i accidentialy imagined a metal spoon in my mouth, and that awful feeling of metal in your mouth won't go away for minutes until you focus on something else. And i just don't understand if it IS the case or its just the wonderland glitching.

17 hours ago, Ranger said:

I'm sorry, Beginner Questions General. It's a place where beginners who want fresh answers to frequently asked questions can ask them, but you can also rapid fire several questions, even if they're not specifically common questions.

After having some chat with you, i guess almost all of my questions got an answer. But, if new ones come up i will definetely try that!

On 7/1/2020 at 3:30 AM, SkyKeeper said:

the problem is i usually hear controversial thoughts that may occur almost in the same time! I mean - it can't be that i AM NOT parroting, i do atleast in one of these cases, and that shit freaks me out a lot. Her phrases are just nonsencical in the context sometimes, and all this goes with the fact that sometimes i get two answers on the same question which are fully different from each other. Once i asked her "was it you?"  and I got the answer "yes", and several seconds after i heard "No it wasn't me!", for example.

I struggled with this kind of thing for a while. In my observation, when you ask a young tulpa a question, the brain kind of scrambles to give out an answer without thinking things through. And the possibility of multiple answers can give this inconsistent jumble. The solution is for your tulpa to think things out properly, let her take her time, ask her to elaborate on replies. When she starts thinking, just let her thoughts flow without examining them or worrying about whether it's her or not. 

For me the most important thing for overcoming these kinds of problems is understanding that you share a brain, you use the same areas of the brain to do things, and that can make it feel like you are parroting your tulpa. When you talk with your tulpa, don't expect their replies to pop in from the void with no mental effort involved. It will take the same level of mental effort that your own thoughts take, otherwise her thinking abilities are being stunted by these expectations of alien no conscious effort responses. The difference between your thoughts and hers will be who's identity is attached. The distinction grows stronger with experience/practice, and details like using a different mindvoice, including form visualization, will help. Ideally it will feel like you're thinking your thoughts and she is thinking hers, but things can still get jumbled sometimes, nothing is perfect. Another important thing to consider is that your tulpa does not know anything that you don't know, and that includes knowing whether words were parroted or not. There's no secret knowledge, no magic. She could assert that a statement is hers or not, and build off of that assumption, maybe. If it seems like she doesn't know herself, she probably doesn't. She may need time thinking about herself more to figure things out. 

One last thing about mindset. We've found that doubt can be a killer. It can stop thoughts in their tracks, stop them from forming in the first place. If she says something and you doubt it, it subtracts from everything that makes her up in the brain, it tells the brain it was on the wrong track. If you think things like "she can't do this", "the brain won't cooperate" and such, it can become the lived experience. I know it can be very frustrating, and when you're feeling discouraged and you have all these thoughts of previous failures, ambiguities, bad experiences it can be hard to adopt a positive mindset. Remember the good times, get as hyped and motivated as you can, and go into your forcing session ready to succeed. Build upon the positive experiences. 

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log