Nyarlat-Hotep's progress report

Nyarlat-hotep

This may be a true progress report and it may be an overall description of my tulpa and reasons for creating one that doesn't get much added on. But I’d really like people in the community to talk to about the process and get some answers to questions as they come along. So I've made an account. Now, my reason for creating a tulpa:

Companionship, essentially. And of course the utter novelty and curiosity that I think anyone feels when starting this. I’m alone often at work and having someone around to talk to would be great, especially someone who understands me as well as a tulpa. At home my roommates are basically family but I don’t share a lot of interests with them. Someone who shares my hobbies would be nice. My hobbies for the record are mostly drawing, painting with gouache, and reading. I think of myself as being pretty creative, which hopefully will help?

Ideally the tulpa would be someone who shares my interest in those things, but I know I can’t control that 100% and I’m fine with that. As far as wanting to experience the outside world, what’s available is available. He’s welcome to make his own music streaming playlists, play video games/watch TV, read books of his choosing, and I’m hoping he’ll take up art. I can’t imagine he’d have an interest in my job at all and there's very little to do in my small town. As far as talking to people there’s always things like forums to protect everyone’s privacy. I wouldn’t restrict him any more than the world already restricts all of us right now.

On to the form. I said ‘he’. It seems I’m not the only one who went with the opposite gender, I’m a woman. And for the form I’ll use a character that’s from an older movie I still really like. The character Yazoo from Final Fantasy 7, Advent Children. He’ll deviate of course but this is a base I can easily picture and "hear".

Personality: One reason I picked Yazoo is that I won’t be staying TOO far from his personality, again of course leaving plenty of wiggle room. But for a starter I wanted to keep that calm, cool collected mien overall. But more talkative and with more of a sense of humor, being easygoing, playful and curious. He should love art and music, and enjoy making things. Indeed he dislikes people who don’t appreciate art or music. That’s an obvious example of a positive trait having a negative side, so I won’t lay on negative traits.

Calm, patient, introverted, curious, creative/artistic, playful, affectionate. That’s a basis. So what does everyone think? A good starting point? Any obvious problems?

(edited)

Okay so not so much of an update as a game plan. Feedback would be great if there's anything that could be added. But basically I've got a great idea of the form from using the existing character as a base, and I have a basis for the personality, so: I just go for narrating as much as possible throught the day, right? Is it better to chatter about whatever occurs to me and parrot for a while or focus on describing Yazoo to himself? I just feel like actions speak louder than words and having him BE calm and friendly for example is better than stating, "You are calm. Yout are friendly".

Edited by Nyarlat-hotep

I don't think parroting would be necessary, just keep narrating to them and expecting an answer back without actually answering for them, so to speak.

You narrate, either in-head or spoken aloud, as much as possible. For the topic, either route works - I'm of the opinion that "personality forcing" works best as a tool for narration, where you're half-suggesting traits and explaining them in detail when you can't think of anything else to talk about. FAQ Man's trait template can help with this, but you can ignore the hour counts. But putting time into the personality is completely optional, so you can just talk about whatever so long as you're directing those thoughts toward your tulpa. Like Mirichu said, parroting isn't necessary.

1 minute ago, Nyarlat-hotep said:

I don't think he'll need 25 hobbies, that's more than even I've got.

Yeah, it's way more freeform than that page suggests. I'm assuming that the numbers he threw out there for traits, hobbies, etc. were to inflate those hour counts. It doesn't take much to get a decent grasp of a tulpa's base personality, anyway.

I agree with that. It does make me wonder how much I can influence hobbies. I'm fine with deviation but I'm kind of crossing my fingers for an art/literature buddy. Working on paintings together, talking over books and whatnot.

(edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, Nyarlat-hotep said:

He’ll deviate of course but this is a base I can easily picture and "hear".

I know people get upset about stuff like this and say you should start with an orb, but in our experience my headmates liked having human forms that were easier for Cat to visualize. I think this is a perfectly valid reason to start with a more complicated or fictional form.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, Nyarlat-hotep said:

He should love art and music, and enjoy making things. Indeed he dislikes people who don’t appreciate art or music. That’s an obvious example of a positive trait having a negative side, so I won’t lay on negative traits.

I'm half expecting Yazoo to spite you and want nothing to do with art or music, because irony is everywhere.

Generally tulpas will pick up activities you like simply due to the fact that's what they will be exposed to first and you already have training in those skills, so it's much easier for them to embrace those skills than a random person trying to pick up new hobbies. I would expect Yazoo would either like it a little more, less, or about the same. It's possible Yazoo will avoid those hobbies to be unique and have some identity he can call his own and/or their personality is rebellious and well... irony.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:25 AM, Nyarlat-hotep said:

I just go for narrating as much as possible throught the day, right? Is it better to chatter about whatever occurs to me and parrot for a while or focus on describing Yazoo to himself? I just feel like actions speak louder than words and having him BE calm and friendly for example is better than stating, "You are calm. Yout are friendly".

Pretty much. I'm not worried about the approach you use, as long as you are spending time with Yazoo. I agree interaction is more productive than stating your expectation.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

(edited)
7 hours ago, Ranger said:

I'm half expecting Yazoo to spite you and want nothing to do with art or music, because irony is everywhere.

That's actually fine. I would never want Yazoo to be that guy forced into football because his father wanted to live vicariously through him. I would LIKE for him to be the type who's creative and happy and when asked how he started would say, well my Mom was an artist so I grew up with it. Basically that he should gravitate to it because I'm not forcing the matter.

But on the topic of forcing: today at work I kept trying to be mindful of Yazoo. I read something about imposition but they're behind you so it's more about the presence than trying to picture them perfectly? I tried to keep him trudging along behind me from place to place. I had a stepstool to stock shelves, and when I stood on the top step to reach something I imagined him behind me looking up, watching. When I sat on a step to reach a bottom shelf, I picked him sitting down cross legged on the floor behind me.

I think it helped. Whenever I would think offhandedly about what he was doing behind me, I did get some mental gifs, if you will. Fiddling with his hair, dusting off his clothing, gingerly picking up a dust bunny off the floor where he sat. Oddly enough I got a random image of him snapping his fingers along with the godawful top 40 music our store playlist has to offer. So that happened. Not a peep yet but I think all of that's a good sign.

Edited by Ranger
Removed formatting for readability

1 hour ago, Nyarlat-hotep said:

I read something about imposition but they're behind you so it's more about the presence than trying to picture them perfectly?

Presence imposition often overlaps with visual imposition. If you work on one, the other can become enhanced. Cat has received similar results working on presence imposition.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread