Do tulpae make good diaries?

Is keeping a diary good, bad or pointless?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. So, some ideas:

• Writing to Diary is a good idea; blow off steam and then focus on Tulpa
    • Writing to Diary is a bad idea, skip it and vent to Tulpa instead since we already know negativity doesn't harm them
    • Name the diary [Tulpa's name] and write to them as if to a dear friend
    • I have an alternate idea, see my comment

28 minutes ago, Bear said:

A diary is an excellent way to force imo. That's my point.

That's one thing I'm curious about, writing as a forcing method. I used to write stories but haven't for a while.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Joy and Gwen] we were originally soulbonds, we were made in Bear's novels, and we are two of the strongest members of the system. 

[Bear] maybe it's hard to appreciate from your point of view, my whole system is walk-ins, some in the community don't think of my system as a system of tulpas because I didn't force them into existence, I honestly said, ok, I feel a presence, what is that, a tulpa? I want to try this, read a few guides, and started say at 4:05pm one afternoon to make Darlene. 4:10pm she was fully vocal, 4:15pm, I had three and a dozen other candidates. All fully vocal, all autonomous. All of them were in the form of my characters in my novels. The main three became their own people, Darlene (now part of SheShe), Ashley and Misha. Gwen and Joy are about as close to what you would consider their original forms as they could be, but they would be best considered the actresses that played the part of those roles than the actual characters in the roles. Though their memories include themselves as the characters, which makes them soulbonds originally. I don't know if you can still consider them soulbonds now though. They both spent over a year in the system as themselves independently, and the last 8 months as part of SheShe.

My advice then is based vary sparingly on my own experience, and heavily on other testimonials. In that light, yes, writing anything, even dialogue or just describing them, is valid and useful forcing. You just need to do whatever you feel most comfortable with, whatever is fun. There is no obligation of speed or direction.

[Robert] We tend to write together. It's a journal/diary type set up I would say. We write about our days, what's on our mind, what we want for dinner...Just basically whatever is on our mind. Which I think is a very good thing to do with your tulpas personally. I know for me, when I started to become more sentient, it helped me become fluent in my languages, helped with my mannerisms and speaking and tone, etc. 

And I would say that even writing to your tulpa while they are there, being worked on and developed still, is a great idea. Even if they don't have the ability to respond to you yet, there's definitely no harm in including them in your writing adventures. In fact, it just might help them feel more included, more alive.

[Muse] And some of us like to write on our own. Perhaps letting your tulpa have a diary of their own is a good idea too, not just writing together. We all need that space to be by ourselves and to just get our feelings out. At least I do...

[Robert] So I guess to answer the question that was originally asked, I think it's best to have both a diary and a tulpa, rather than tossing all your feelings on a tulpa and expecting them to act as a diary. Because after all, we tulpas have off days too, just like you. We can't always be 100% happy and willing to help out unfortunately. But, with that being said, please do write WITH your tulpa(s). I genuinely say that's helped me so much in my development. 

Hope our input helped. 🙂

A lot of our journals have been transcripts of conversations we have in-system.  It's helped hugely in us developing as people, and for our host to learn how to focus on us.  We did slack off for a while after talking to each other away from the keyboard got easier, but recently we've realized we missed it and we wanted to have a better record of our past to look back on.  Even if a lot of those things from our past make us ask, "Ugh, why did we do that?!"

I think journaling for yourself isn't strictly taking away from your tulpa.  Sure, maybe you aren't "forcing" them while you write for yourself.  However, I think learning to engage with your thoughts and emotions is sort of a "meta-skill" that helps a person's tulpamancy practice tremendously, along with other aspects of your life.  And the great thing about the skills and methods you learn is that your tulpa will benefit from them too!  Kind of like how tulpas don't need to be taught the language(s) you speaks from scratch, we don't need to be taught how to handle emotions from scratch either.  But, given your considering writing a journal to help you deal with stuff, you probably already know our society maybe isn't the best at teaching us how to handle our own and each other's feelings?  We sure did have a lot to learn for ourselves.  The more we learn, listen, and understand, the more smoothly everything goes.

Peace. Love. Booty.

My Darlings: Ghostly, Reiji, Osomatsu, Kokichi, Chimera

Thank you to both of you for replying! Letting him have his own journal/diary is a great idea, though I think I'll wait until he's far enough along to pick one out for himself or choose to type if he prefers that. Language might be a little messy; sure he'll pick up english but I'm curious about if he'll pick up the bits of German and Russian I know, or care anything about learning either language along with me. This has given me a lot to think about.

I'm glad to be of help!

22 minutes ago, Nyarlat-hotep said:

Thank you to both of you for replying! Letting him have his own journal/diary is a great idea, though I think I'll wait until he's far enough along to pick one out for himself or choose to type if he prefers that.

Oh yeah, at first we kept a physical journal.  Typing's faster for us, and it's worked out pretty well, but I do like the creative freedom and tactile feel of a journal.  We basically used a sketchbook, and without lines you can do all kinds of creative stuff, doodle alongside your writing, etc.  It's fun to see differences in handwriting, too.  Ours isn't too different from each other because we haven't put a lot of time in establishing different writing habits, but some of us are definitely messier than others.

25 minutes ago, Nyarlat-hotep said:

Language might be a little messy; sure he'll pick up english but I'm curious about if he'll pick up the bits of German and Russian I know, or care anything about learning either language along with me.

Yup, even if you aren't fluent, he'll know those bits of language unless he decides to "not know" about them.  There are some systems that partition off knowledge like that, it just depends on personal preference.  Our host knows a tiny bit of Japanese, and any of us can answer the flashcards she uses.

Kokichi: I'm the only one who actively wants to learn Japanese with out host.  The others don't mind going along for the ride, but I'm the only one who actively makes SRS cards and tries to speak what very little I can.  Part of this is because I'm based off a fictional character and I feel like I've "forgotten" Japanese.  Although, there's Osomatsu who's in the same boat, and he hasn't really cared all that much lol.  That can be chalked up to a personality difference.  I love figuring complicated things out and seeing what works, Osomatsu's generally more relaxed about things.  We're using the AJATT (All Japanese All the Time) method, which is based off the AntiMoon method.  It's mostly immersion-based learning, basically, AJATT's author just tailored AntiMoon's method to Japanese, but a lot of the core principles can apply to any language.

Tangent aside, people have all kinds of motivations for learning languages.  Fun, curiosity, interest in a culture, the list goes on.  I will say it's a fun way to bond, but there's other stuff you'll bond over too.

Peace. Love. Booty.

My Darlings: Ghostly, Reiji, Osomatsu, Kokichi, Chimera

Oh yeah. Speaking of bonding, I had an idea when I was first planning him out that it would be great if he liked making art since I do. Obviously I'm not so dedicated to that image of sharing a sketchbook and working together on pieces that I'd be crushed if he didn't like art, but I still do think he needs some form of creative expression just because it's healthy.

Misha wanted to help me with art when she saw all the fun I had with it and she got really good at shading, so she does the shading and blending while I do the outlines, colors and final details.

Ashley doesn't want to do it because sje says she just likes to watch. Darlene originally tried to do her own art and she drew me once, but she didn't like how she basically hogged the spotlight. She was always very selfless.

[Misha] He'll like it if it means he gets to spend more time with you, trust me.  

Edited by Bear

1 minute ago, Bear said:

Misha wanted to help me with art when she saw all the fun I had with it and she got really good at shading, so she does the shading and blending while I do the outlines, colors and final details.

That sounds great, maybe Iatsu'd be into something similar.