Deleted posts contribute to post count?

Ranger

Question

I was testing something in another board for something and when I deleted the posts, my post count stayed the same.

My concern is people can exploit this to artificially raise their post count. And I don't really want people spamming the Your Deleted Posts board.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

8 answers to this question

You wouldn't happen to know if your post count ever updated, would you?  I believe the recounts are through a cronjob rather than instantly happening, and depending on which task it's hidden in, this may be between 1 minute and 1 day.  I'm trying to find the exact task that does this, but it may be worth posting with a test user that has a relatively static post count (e.g. 3 posts), creating a post (giving 4 posts), deleting that post (may still say 4), and then waiting 1 day to see if it eventually says 3 again.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

(edited)

My post count was 1000 when I realized I needed to delete the posts. When I deleted them, it didn't change. I remember getting my post count up to 1004, which is what it is now.

Edit: Right now my post count is 1005 (including this one). I'll go ahead and add 3 posts to that thread and leave the link to it here (It will probably give you an error if you're not staff. If you can see it, let me know)

Huh... When I added this post, it didn't tell me my post number went up immediately like it did before. I wonder if the deleted thread being freshly deleted is related?

https://community.tulpa.info/topic/16400-test-thread-for-activity-stream-idea/?do=findComment&comment=309818

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

So, any new post in Your Deleted Posts shouldn't increase post count (I definitely have post counts disabled in YDP).  I wonder if making a post outside of Your Deleted Posts (in a place where post counts matter), then moving it to Your Deleted Posts (aka "deleting it") would not immediately decrease post-count but instead decrease the post count in the next 24 hours...  Does that make sense?

Spoiler

(edited)

I'll give that a try. I'll post in the place I suspected was raising my post count.

By the time I post this post, my total should be 1006.

Edit: I created this post and deleted it. So far, my post count is still at 1007.

Edited by Ranger

Let's give it 24 hours so it runs through all of the stuff.  If it doesn't decrease by then, let me know (in case I forget to check, you can reply with a @Pleeb to ping me in this topic) I'll make a topic on the invision community board and see what others have done for this.

It looks like when this was an automatic feature, a lot of people on invision community complained "We rely on post counts and we prune posts every few months, we don't want the counts to go down automatically!" so it's possible the task is removed (we'll only know in a day).  I know in MyBB it was manual, but I managed to hack together a task to do it once every 24 hours or something.

Spoiler

(edited)

@Pleeb My post total is 1008. The only other posts I made other than LOTPW posts are an announcement post and a moderator report post. Unless both of those threads increase my post count, my post count has remained the same.

When I post this one, it will raise to 1009.

Edit: I'm going to post on the forum more, I'll leave this screenshot with the time stamp on it.

image.thumb.png.27e9b54a665697f20c51734b642cb691.png

Edited by Ranger

Yeah, I'm going to guess that Invision Community isn't automating the recount, and only does so when someone manually initiates one.  I'll open a report with them this weekend.

Spoiler

Good news! Posts in YDP don't seem to be adding to my post count