New Registration System and Other Updates

Pleeb

In an effort to combat spam and ban evasions, there is a new registration system in place.

Once a user registers, there is a three-day waiting period before their accounts are approved. This will also it gives new users incentive to use that time to read guides, set up their accounts, get acquainted with the site, and it may also give them a chance to search around for questions they may have wanted to ask.

If there is anything time-sensitive that needs to be asked or said, you are free to enter the IRC Chat to have your questions answered in there. You can (usually) find an Administrator or Moderator in there as well.

In other news, I've removed the Resources tab and replaced it with the Chat tab. The Resources page still exists (and you can find it on the sidebar navigation). Not to say there's actually much in it, and it may be removed altogether in the coming months.

If you're not sure what goes on in the IRC chat, or you're remembering #tulpa from all those months ago, it may be worth checking that page and reading about what other channels we have in this community; consider my comments from earlier this week:

Usually [in #tulpa.info] it's creators and tulpae (off the top of my head, Atasco, Lauren, Roswell, Juno, Lia, Chess, Morgan, Mena, Ariadne, Luna, Slime, Kate, Midori, Ellen, Liira, Kellogg, Black, Kyouko, Noelle, JD1215's crew, and several others, either talking via possession, switching, or proxy) having constructive discussion on consciousness, helping other tulpae and creators (such as when one is having doubts, an existential crisis, or just general support), etc.

I've also found letting your tulpa chat via proxy helps you hear them better in the long run (at least according to Chess) plus, as Morgan put it,

19:18 <+Morgenstern> I like IRC.

19:18 <+Morgenstern> It's where I'm most real.

There's more than just #tulpa, you know. There's #tulpa.info, #tulpachat (though only tulpae have a voice in there, since it's their channel, ran by them), they're all listed on the updated chat.html.

I'm also going to set up a logger dæmon that will generate HTML pages for the chat logs that come up in IRC. The user will be able to search through the logs as well.

If you do not want your IRC nick affiliated with anything previously logged in IRC, please PM me with the nick you'd like filtered for previous logs (I'm going to be adding them up as well) and your nick will be changed to "Anon123". For future logs I would recommend changing your nick in at least #tulpa.info and #tulpachat (possibly others that I decide to log).

Last thing I wanted to note, is that it's been a little over 3 months since the forums have been created, and we're now approaching 1000 members! When this site started, we had two admins and one global moderator. One of those admins left, and I'm currently the only administrator holding things up. While I'm planning on being around for a very long time, if something were to happen to me it would be very difficult for the site to remain up in the long term if nobody else has access. So after a great deal of thought and much option-weighting, I decided to add another Administrator to the community besides myself. We technically have one moderator for every 200 members and one administrator for ever 500 members now. I think that's a decent ratio for the moment, too.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

Guest Anonymous

Are these HTML log pages to be plastered about the internet, or are these logs only available to members of the forums?

I fail see why this is necessary, it is not difficult to save a copy of IRC conversations. Why make this a public thing period.

I like this shift of priority.

There are questions for IRC and questions for the Forum.

The simpler ones you just want a quick user response to are for IRC.

The complicated ones you want a discussion on and may not even know how to fully explain are for the Forum. (Or IRC if you think people would be interested.)

The sooner people realize this, the more active and enthused the IRC will be, and the less "How should I start? Can my tulpa hate me? Can you really see them totally solid?" threads clog up the Today's Posts section.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

Guest Anonymous

Is IRC not enthused enough? I'm surprised at people for not reading all of the data available to them before asking. Between the many guides, frequently asked questions, and old threads, I often wonder why new threads are made. Flooding the IRC in such a way seems silly.

I've noted some people giving their comments in #tulpa.info last night regarding the idea to log the channels.

Someone noted that freenode provides two things. First, it allows private access to the channels (rather than public html logs) and second, it allows opting-out if you don't want your conversations to be logged.

Whichever logger I use, it will probably be open-source, which means I can probably put an if-statement for every single message it goes to log and exclude certain nicks or have it exclude every line that contains the word "[EXC]" in it. though it doesn't help that one of the biggest contributes to most of the new theories and ideas that has been made in the IRC (who ends up being one of the most cited, would probably be one of the ones who opts-out of this :p

As for private vs public, I'll discuss that in the following.

Are these HTML log pages to be plastered about the internet, or are these logs only available to members of the forums?

I fail see why this is necessary, it is not difficult to save a copy of IRC conversations. Why make this a public thing period.

I'm still looking for an appropriate solution, but I'm considering a system similar to this.

It is difficult when the amount of things being discussed in IRC is reaching the current point it is.

I am constantly being requested logs, and my pastebin account is now maxed out (can't make anymore pasts until I get a premium account); I'm now using justpaste.it.

I was thinking about just copying my log (I have them all) to some sort of webserver, but then I figured it would still be heck to get through everything.

Something that provides searching and viewing in readable HTML format would benefit us.

As for making it public, it's technically 'public' right now. Anyone with access to the server (which is everyone) can read what's going on, and several members are logging -everything- 24/7. There are already a flood of pastebinned conversations from IRC, and it's hurting us plus it's unnecessary.

This would also limit the chance of things being discussed that have already been discussed, since with a simple search and paste of a link, people can read up on what they've already had.

And yeah, from an SEO perspective, having a big repository of tulpa-related conversations (if we chose to let google index it) parked on the tulpa.info domain would further establish tulpa.info as an "authority domain" in google's (and and Bing's) eyes. On the flip side of this, I know of people who don't want to miss things or have to catch up when they're away, so they're having someone else pastebin everything from the time they've left. From an SEO-perspective, since pastebin is already an 'authority domain,' it will see those tulpa-related logs and think that pastebin is more relevant than tulpa.info than it already does, and begin ranking pastebinned logs and pastebin-related tulpa stuff over tulpa.info's pages -- this hurts us.

I like this shift of priority.

There are questions for IRC and questions for the Forum.

The simpler ones you just want a quick user response to are for IRC.

The complicated ones you want a discussion on and may not even know how to fully explain are for the Forum. (Or IRC if you think people would be interested.)

The sooner people realize this, the more active and enthused the IRC will be, and the less "How should I start? Can my tulpa hate me? Can you really see them totally solid?" threads clog up the Today's Posts section.

When someone is thinking about creating a new tulpa, or they're going through the process, I found if they stick themselves in the IRC during the process, they end up getting a lot of advice, encouragement, etc.

Quick questions can also be answered in either #tulpa or #tulpa.info, and I've seen very complex discussion going on in #tulpa.info in regards to consciousness, and was even able to make a HUGE observation on the subjective passage of time related to the age of consciousness AND how our own consciousnesses are created in the first place. I really do need to take the time to start typing most of this up on the forum, though usually it gets buried (consider Goldsmith's topic).

Is IRC not enthused enough? I'm surprised at people for not reading all of the data available to them before asking. Between the many guides, frequently asked questions, and old threads, I often wonder why new threads are made. Flooding the IRC in such a way seems silly.

On the other hand, the IRC is quick and less 'bulky' than the forums system. There will always be people that ask, "HOW I GIVE SUBCONSCIOUS ACCESS?" without actually reading anything. So we either have a thread asking this, which ends up pushing about 3 or 4+ replies of people saying "Check the FAQ" or "It's subjective!" etc, or we have them just go into the IRC channel which usually results in a quick answer from a creator or another tulpa and things are finished.

With every 4chan thread made, the IRC usually gets an inflow of people asking questions, and it hasn't damaged us before.

I do agree that people should -read- all of the resources first, but you'll always have those people that don't. For the most part, this 3-day thing will give them a chance to read over everything anyway.

P.S. Also, I could further your statement on this; people could benefit from reading the previous threads, old topics, etc, they could also benefit to reading the IRC, if the logs were available to them.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png