The Psychological Guide to Shadow and Chakra Work (A Series)

shutterstock_785350252.jpg

This is more difficult to grasp than any of the lower chakras. I believe this is because of misinformation and misunderstanding of the nature of third eye and our expectations of what we will see when it opens.

I personally believe that you don't need crystals, oils, or yoga poses to successfully open your third eye. To me these are physical manifestations and rituals that can help you get in the mood, so I don't want to dissuade anyone from these practices, I simply feel they are unnecessary. If you well are grounded in reality, you are more capable of analyzing what you 'see'; this is just practical. If you are struggling with this chakra, it was said in the references that sometimes you need more experience and time to 'get' it. It may be that there's some referential knowledge that finally sparks this ability to 'see' within yourself, to look at your flaws and see yourself for what you really are. So go through it, perhaps start with the root again and be mindful of your flaws in hopes to coax out the information you need.  For me, this was a revelation that all these people around me I saw as jerks were in certain ways not jerks, it was me who was the jerk, like I was a bull in a china shop wondering why all this broken china was on the ground.

Third Eye: Knowledge of Self

The third eye has many uses but primarily it will show you your true nature and offer a glimpse at higher understanding. To see yourself as others see you and more. You are fairly warned that it will do so without regard to how painful or damaging those realizations may be. So be prepared to fight the final battle against your inner demons, and learn something that may cause you grief. It's for the greater good though, trust me.

Clearing the lower chakras to this point may partially or fully foster this understanding, and prepare you to face this new understanding of personal reality. So of course do those first earlier in this thread.

How do you know your third eye is blocked?

[Taken from the first reference]

- Lack of faith in your purpose

- Feeling pointless

- Indecisiveness

- Finding your work or life insignificant

- Paranoia

- Nihilism

What is it?

'Third eye' is what we call the manifestation of the psyche archetype. This nothing but the ability to expand your Consciousness and far-see not only events but behaviors, body languages, and synchronicity more often than before. It is part of you but you won't be able to realize it until you understand the other archetypes. The self, shadow self, anima etc. Also the balancing of the first three energy centers. And also, it means that you going to start questioning your biases and your beliefs and even values. When this happens many leave their workplace, daily activities and old habits.

This ability to see EVERYTHING shifts our perspective, so we can see our own blind spots and understand ourselves in the context of the collective. But in order to use the third eye to see through time and space, we first have to use it to see ourselves!

The Necessity of Metaphysical Understanding

Bear with me for a moment because this chakra is heavily associated with metaphysical, whereas everything up to this point has been easily mapped as purely psychological. This is no different in my mind, I firmly believe that, but you may experience things also associated with this heavy introspection. Visions, profound dreams, physical feelings like a burning in your forehead, momentary depersonalization/derealization, and more. You may experience things that you previously believed were impossible. This isn't metaphysical in my mind, I think this is the greater reality of being, a glimpse at yourself and the world unfiltered. So keep and open mind, and try to stay grounded.

The third eye chakra provides the oversight and wisdom necessary to understand existence beyond time and space. It can see past the duality and shortsightedness of the Western mind and provide an awareness that allows us to see who we really are: spiritual beings having a human experience.

This is related to 'awakening'. To see yourself as something above it all and from that perspective you aren't bothered by the mundane troubles, stressors and anxieties.

This is the chakra of intuition, wisdom and our sixth sense. In Eastern philosophies, it is known as our ‘third eye’ and the spiritual center, which interacts with the rational mind in order to deepen our intuitive insight to see beyond the veil of illusion that is called 'Maya.'

In my experience, this has all proven true. At the very least, whether you believe in spiritual beings or not, it's not necessary to, the mind is a powerful tool, made even more so by it's ability to comprehend even itself to some extent. Intuition is a very real part of us. To me it can be explained as subliminal cues that give you insight that you've consciously missed and that's a good model for it in my experience. It's akin to instinct, but deeper and instead of reactive, it's proactive. Where our conscious thought takes cues from our surroundings and experiences and synthesizes them into workable strategies and decisions, intuition additionally takes in subliminal cues and bits of ignored information deemed inconsequential and thus easily forgotten consciously to help you understand the situation. Do not underestimate the intelligence behind intuition and its ability to guide you to better solutions than you otherwise would have. Listening to intuition can help you avoid issues and make better decisions. I have experienced this first hand.

The power of the Third Eye Chakra is witnessing your freedom beyond the realms of ‘realistic illusion.’ Ultimately nothing is holding you back – it is only your mind that has power over you and if you can control the mind, you can then ascend any limitations you currently [think you] have.

When we fully connect with the power from within the Ajna, we retain mental clarity and are able to see beyond the mind and all its desires, longings, worries, fears and judgment. We then enter into the realms of knowledge, wisdom, and intuition.

The Third Eye is not only the seat of wisdom, but also a seat of conscience. This is where you not only see what is going on, but you also know what it means. This is where your sense of justice and your ethics originate.

A Note on Life Experience.

The following is a note about the possible need for life experience to foster the opening of the third eye as I mentioned earlier. I will temper this a little and say that it's not the same for everyone, and I have seen many examples of those who have opened their third eye well before their 30's and 40's. So don't be discouraged by the phrasing of this next passage, if your third eye is shut and you have clear lower chakras, this could simply be because you have not yet experienced your breaking point. In other words, the place where you reject your understanding of the nature of reality and see where the illusion starts to break down. You have a strong brain filter on and that's just good grounding, appreciate that. Consider yourself lucky as well because this is often triggered by absolutely dreadful suffering such as depression.

Embodying the third eye's expansive energy requires the maturity, life experience, and wisdom that we gain with age. The chakra is thought to reach peak development from ages 35 to 42. It builds upon the developmental path that begins with the root chakra, where we experience the conflict between attachment and authenticity. At around 7 years old, we move into the sacral chakra, the home of feelings and emotions. The next stop on this developmental path is the solar plexus, where we confront our judgments and limiting beliefs. Only then can we generate the courage to open the heart chakra, the key to giving and receiving love and compassion. With a healthy foundation in the lower four chakras, we can cultivate and communicate our authentic truth through the throat chakra.

Techniques:

- Listen to your intuition. Like an inkling of something that's wrong, a very subtle hesitation, or a gut feeling.

- Keep a dream journal.

The third eye is naturally active in the dream state. The more you remember your dreams, the more connected you become to the unconscious—where all of your blind spots live. Spend 10 minutes every morning writing down everything you remember about your dreams. If you cannot remember anything at all, spend the time in meditation, clearing your mind before turning on any electronic devices or auditory stimuli. Eventually, you will remember!

Your dreams and intuition are linked so if you can interpret your dreams you can glean power insights into the issues that assail you. Dreams will lead you in a direction to find your forgotten traumas and fears so that you can perform your shadow work on them.

- Do your shadow work with the lower chakras. See the first entry in this thread.

Conclusion:

Third Eye opening is an 'ah ha!' moment and thus you know when it does, but until then you remain blind to its mysteries. Rest assured that as you continue to clear your lower chakras and remove your connections to past trauma, you inch closer to opening the third eye and to be able to fathom the true nature of yourself.

This is a more personal journey than any of the other chakras, which is why I claim it's by far harder. It may take life experience to allow its opening, so in this case you will need the most patience.

Next is Crown

References:

https://www.thelawofattraction.com/third-eye-chakra-healing/

https://amp.mindbodygreen.com/articles/third-eye-chakra-4-techniques-for-opening-up-the-sixth-chakra

https://www.yogiapproved.com/om/the-third-eye-chakra-how-it-connects-us-to-our-intuition/

https://www.chakra-anatomy.com/third-eye-chakra.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/spirituality/comments/fmivc7/third_eye_guidance_and_tips_for_a_beginner/fl4gntk?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Edited by Bear

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

We absolutely love that you guys are doing this. Having a broken down no-bs version makes it so much easier to understand. You managed to get to the point without needing pages upon pages of extra hooby-jooby for us to wade through. Can't wait for you to finish! The only suggestions we have are a few spelling/grammar edits that aren't really important, and the fact that having a table of contents added to the beginning with quick links to each separate post would make it easier for people to skip the comments inbetween like this one. Keeping this bookmarked for personal reference and sharing to others who may need it. Really good job guys.

1 hour ago, ~Mimsy~ said:

We absolutely love that you guys are doing this. Having a broken down no-bs version makes it so much easier to understand. You managed to get to the point without needing pages upon pages of extra hooby-jooby for us to wade through. Can't wait for you to finish! The only suggestions we have are a few spelling/grammar edits that aren't really important, and the fact that having a table of contents added to the beginning with quick links to each separate post would make it easier for people to skip the comments inbetween like this one. Keeping this bookmarked for personal reference and sharing to others who may need it. Really good job guys.

Thank you so much! ♡♡♡ That's the intent, but most people either assume it's all hooby-jooby with extra sauce or that I'm somehow not being hooby-jooby enough for the terms used. Imo, they're only showcasing the need for this work. Hooby-jooby has it's place, but this community generally isn't the place.

You have reminded me that there is one left, though it's plenty hooby-jooby, so I will need to julienne, squeeze, and distill the information into something more palatable and applicable to us non-hooby-jooby aligned systems.

Understanding the inner workings of the mind actually makes you less hooby-jooby reliant if you do it right. This is good because the closer you are to ground when you fly, the safer you are. 

Don't get me wrong, we've been studying hooby-jooby for about nine months, but what we gleaned wasn't a belief based understanding, but a work based/experience based understanding. Understanding that you need to put in the work is great, doing the work is even better. This is the work.

It's painfully distilled, I could write a book on each chakra that absolutely no one would read, a lot like this response here.

I have added a table of contents with links and I apologize for the spelling and grammar, I will polish it up again soon.

The crown will be a challenge, especially because I really don't understand how it would apply here, but I'm confident I can do it.

Thank you for such an amazing word btw, have a holly-jolly hooby-jooby!♡

Edited by Bear

6 hours ago, Bear said:

I could write a book on each chakra that absolutely no one would read, a lot like this response here.

Well I read it.

Just because I don't need this sort of guidance anymore doesn't mean I don't see value in it, in case you thought I was one of the people that assumed it was all "hooby jooby". About 10 years ago this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, and while I found it, I had to do the distilling of what it all meant psychologically/not-metaphysically myself. I appreciate that you wrote this because I know a lot of other people will appreciate that you wrote it.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• 2 months later...

And now, the conclusion!

Emotional Healing Series for Tulpamancers: The Crown Achievement

ce8b8bfc1af4f14bda2d0a4f07c4d385.jpg

Disclaimer:

Spiritual awareness doesn't have to be entirely metaphysical, there are a lot of connotations to overcome with this one, so I ask you to think of spirituality as just a model of existence; just like particle physics is based on models. Though you can't discuss crown completely without mentioning spirituality, it doesn't necessarily have to include otherworldly beings of light and darkness, it can just be a connection to a higher self, the person you really are, bereft of conditioning, anxieties, triggers and prejudices.

This is not a metaphysical post, it's a psychological one.

In this case "Spiritual" isn't god and ghosts and metaphysical frufru, it's just a way to describe the totality of self aside from present observable consciousness. It's the hidden hand that guides us and the source of all thought. I use the terms "Spiritual and Spirituality" the same way I used "Chakra" not to call upon the connotations of occult teachings, but to give a fresh perspective of it, not to sway you to believe in heaven or hell, but to give a more grounded perspective. I use "Nirvana" similarly. 

This is science damnit!  

Imagine yourself as a newborn baby, no preconceptions or attachments, no one to answer to, no one to fear or respect, nothing indeed to respond to and no bias of response. No ego at all. In this frame of mind: race, orientation, belief, or nationality are nothing more than the plurality of colors in a rainbow. There's infinite awe, unconditional love, wonder, pure freedom, perfect clarity and joy. In that moment you are enlightened, you are experiencing the nirvana.

The Bad News:

For the rest of your life, you will never come closer to a perfectly balanced chakra system then just then, just before the doctor spanks you and you're forced to take in the cold breath of reality, and the harshness of this world slowly changes you into the conditioned, egoistic, and prejudiced self that is absolutely necessary to survival.

In this process, all that awe, unconditional love, wonder, pure freedom, perfect clarity and joy is replaced by routine, aversion, desire, servitude, automaton, and conditioning.

The Good News:

By clearing your chakras and maintaining their balance, you are bringing yourself as close to the way you were, the way you are intended to be, the way you really always have been, and all those brief, fleeting moments of clarity where you can hardly grasp what's right from wrong, those synchronous moments of light where you peer into nirvana, become more frequent and less fleeting. Eventually you can hold onto them long enough to enjoy the moment, and as you progress on your path, these moments become the norm, and the automaton encrusted with egoic thoughts slowly fades away.

Purpose:

"Each chakra represents a spiritual life lesson or challenge to help us gain a more in-depth understanding of our personal and spiritual power. This, in turn, helps us learn how to overcome obstacles, let go of emotional blockages, and walk the path towards spiritual consciousness."

I believe the spiritual consciousness is the hidden source, a culmination of life and everything you've ever known. What we experience as consciousness is an echo or projection of that hidden and infinitely more grand consciousness. In my path, I have come to identify with that larger consciousness and this moment I live is just a means to record my situations and actions, not to direct or sway them, that's done deeper and subconsciously.

If you can't perceive it, how do you control it?

That's the key, if you can't seem to control it consciously, and this lends credence to the 'no free will' philosophy, then I'm trying to counter that when I tell you that you are in perfect control. Instead of no free will entirely, the ego and desire diminishes that control, bringing you further from the 'higher self' you are and closer to the animal you posses.

You are not just the animal known as homosapien, but their influence is not to be taken lightly nor meant to be destroyed (ego death) in my opinion. Instead, it's the synergy of spiritual and physical echoes balance of the chakras, and that synchronous union resonates more inner power than either could alone in the realm of the material. The lower chakras are about taking care of that animal, and the higher chakras are about transcending them.

To me, chakra work is about that balance of physical and spiritual, so nourishment of the physical and the spiritual are equally important.

Practical Aspects:

Infinite forgiveness and unconditional love is first and foremost forgiveness and love of self. In whatever way you define self at this moment, this is the goal of this work.

You cheated, you ate too much, you indulged too much, you acted selfishly, you were harsh or uncaring, you were a destructive influence, or whatever you did, it's not about someone else absolving your sins, it's not about punishment or deprivation, it's about acceptance, forgiveness, and love of self, but also accountability and self improvement.

How can you be the better person you want to be without experiencing the converse by your own actions or those around you? I say, a necessary part of learning is making mistakes. What's ultimately important is knowing it was a mistake, that's all. It may not be possible to right every wrong, mend every tear, or obtain forgiveness for every wrongdoing, but you can always accept, forgive yourself, learn from your mistakes and strive to do better next time.

"The Sahasrara’s energy motivates us to seek a deeper connection to the divine in all that we do. This is why you hear of artists, yogis, and inventors explaining they had a transcendental experience that moved them during their practice; or perhaps of individuals who experienced a blissful epiphany that gave them insight into a great idea."

Without any religious or metaphysical beliefs, this is still valid. It is my objective with this series to bring grounding to the chakras and help achieve balance without the need of possibly limiting beliefs. A materialist look into the divine sounds oxymoronic, but how else can a material being explore and interact with the supposed divine ideal without this tie to the ground upon which we stand both physically and mentally.

Yoga, oils, crystals, rituals, all in my opinion are just physical totems of this connection, none of which are necessary but all of which may personally help you get the focus you need to do the work, that's up to you, I don't use them. The true work is of course introspection and tuning your actions to those of the concept of higher self or divine [ideal] consciousness.

One who is secure, complete, healthy, lovable, respectable, responsible, clear of mind and kind to oneself and others, as well as able to see past one's own bullcrap, is as close to divine as Earthly possible. Keep in mind that spiritual ego is no less insidious than material ego if left unchecked.

The person you really are is amazing, that's who everyone loves and respects, that's who everyone wants to be around, because in that higher self, they see the reflection of who they know they are deep down, and we're all desperate to remember what we undeniably knew even before our first breath.

How do you know your crown is blocked?

- Including anything from any other chakra blockage; they must all be maintained.
- Lack of foresight and intuition
- Confusion over what is intuition and what is ego
- Desire for material comfort
- Discontentment
- Self loathing, shame, intolerance, bigotry, dogma, stubbornness, etc.

Techniques:

Just like third eye, listen to your intuition, but instead of listening to understand your path and your behavior, this is listening to connect to your higher self, learn from this connection and understand who you truly are.

Learn to recognize egoic and intrusive thoughts as conditioning, an obfuscation of you, not a part of you. You can ignore these thoughts and dismiss them, but first you need to understand where they're coming from, that's the purpose of chakra and shadow work; and mend or accept them, but you don't have to identify with them. The real you, the one who came into this world free and clear is not those egoic and intrusive thoughts.

Conclusion:

This is my main takeaway from crown work: understand your connection to something greater. Be closer to that a ideal divine consciousness, oneness, higher self or just an unconditioned self: one who fears nothing, lives in wonder and awe, joy and contentment, with forgiveness and love. The good news is this can coexist with unfixable issues of past trauma and mistakes. A scar doesn't change who you are, it merely physically marks the path to the ultimate understanding of who you are.

Shadow Work Reference:

Go back and maintain your chakras regularly.

As long as you're here in this life, this work is never done.

References:

I encourage you to read these, and research for yourself, as my interpretation truncates a lot of the rich history and lore of the chakras. You will be inspired by some of these writings to better understand my perspective and to better form your own. Crown chakra is a very personal path, your path isn't mine just as your conditioning and scars aren't mine.

https://www.color-meanings.com/crown-chakra-the-seventh-chakra/

https://www.yogiapproved.com/om/the-crown-chakra-how-it-connects-you-to-the-divine/

https://www.chakra-anatomy.com/crown-chakra.html

Thank you so much for reading my series. I hope it helps give you a perspective on chakras that you wouldn't otherwise have from the voluminous and often cookie-cutter approaches you read in other presentations. My goal was to give you tools to be able to tackle the rebalancing of chakras in a grounded and methodical way, using verifiable and mechanical techniques that are practical for grounded individuals.

^-^ - ♡