The 12 steps, the biggest lie ever told.

Ellie

first off, I want to address the 12 step program and how personally, from life experience, I feel it is the worst choice for addiction recovery of any kind. Now before you get all defensive and preachy,  let me explain.

This is a purely spiritual approach, and honestly this is the only truly effective approach because quite literally under science, religion, faith, anything on this earth, spirit and energy reside at the core of everything.

Now that we have addressed this is a spiritual approach,  I have to address the law of the universe that cannot be changed and will never change.

"You get what you put out"

Is the easiest term to describe this law. The universe is indeed a mirror. What you put out into the world is what you will receive back. The term " you must give in order to get" is relating to the law of the universe. 

In another example, how you view the outside world is a reflection of how you feel in your inner world. Same goes for how you treat the outside world. If you often find you are treating others poorly, you are treating yourself poorly inside as well. Same goes in reverse. A happy individual who is happy on the inside will spread their happiness and see the happiness in other people.

Ok so now that we have established that, I want to address why the very first step of the 12 steps is the wrong choice, making all the other steps after it, completely void and uncredible. 

The first step is admitting you are powerless.

Judging from what we just covered before this, you can see how this statement will have a negative and quite truly a limiting effect on how well you will escape your addiction.

In a simpler sense, you must tell your self you have the power if you truly want the power.

Telling yourself you are powerless will do only one thing, affirm yourself that you are powerless. Once yourself has affirmed its powerless...do you see yourself being very powerful? More than likely not.

If you want recovery, and you want real lasting results that you don't have to keep going to meetings for "security" then you need to drop the 12 steps and start the 1 step. Believe in yourself.

You have more power than you know. If you tell yourself you have no power, well then there you have it. You said it already, power gone.

On the other hand, if you tell yourself "i got this, I am powerful enough to overcome ANYTHING life throws at me" then you got it, you said so yourself. 

The human mind is a tool. More often than not humans let it use them instead of them using it. 

Use your best tool to your advantage. Lay the foundations for recovery  with your best tool and positive affirmations. 

Laying foundations with "powerless" embedded into it will lead you no where but on and endless never ending path to what looks like recovery, but is disguised as dependence on something that has simply replaced your addiction. You will find yourself seeking the comfort of your 12 steps if you go with them. You will only find true confidence to recovery if you tell yourself you can do it and WILL DO IT. It all begins with you and that 1 step.

I agree that positivity and self confidence will do great things.

As summarized by the American Psychological Association, the process involves the following:

- admitting that one cannot control one's alcoholism, addiction or compulsion;

- coming to believe a higher power that can give strength;

- examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);

- making amends for these errors;

- learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;

- helping others who suffer from the same alcoholism, addictions or compulsions.

- Wiki

Given what you said, I have no knowledge of the 12 step program formally, it seems to try to transfer power from yourself to a higher power, one that wouldn't choose to continue the addiction, and grant you the power back. 

I'm practically an atheist at this point, if there is a higher power, I don't expect them to grant me anything and I certainly asked enough times, still waiting for that reply. I was a Catholic and it never really did anything for me. So yielding to a higher power sounds silly to me. Call me skeptical. 

I do believe we have ultimate control over our lives and behaviors, but some conditioning (habbits) have both physical and chemical dependence, some are so strong that you will not survive the detox without medical attention. God's grace aside, it's probably better to get straight with a mixture of self-empowerment and medical intervention if necessary.

Creating a new life (new persona/new shadow) is right up my alley. That's ultimately going to work, considering I did it twice successfully now. Headmates can help with that.

So the first step might be in the wrong direction, the basic idea is still valid, step in the right direction and skip the higher power stuff, and it will probably still work as intended.

Edited by Bear

The 12 step program is a business model.

Of course it needs to establish you are helpless and need divine assistence. If you can do anything by yourself, what do you need a church for? Same as you were told it was impossible to address god by yourself, you had to pay an agent aka priest for that. I's about creating dependencies.

In the end stating you are powerless is as foolish as the belief you can achieve anything if you just try hard enough.

Spoiler

Also that South Park episode with drunk Randy and pope Benedict...

1702300166_12steps.png.3e9658c4c39b1989761b40a007058125.png

Super Girls don't cry